Another Ok Sugar Art Show ??

Decorating By 8Tracie8 Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 7:16pm by moydear77

8Tracie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8Tracie8 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 22

On my cake entry for the sugar art show next weekend I am molding a tree out of modeling chocolate....... can I use dowel rods and wire inside the tree to help the structure and molding? I was planning on using a dowel rod for the trunk and using wire for the branches......... is this legal?? Thanks for all of your help for this is my very first competition and I don't know all of the rules (and couldn't find them on the sugar art website).

Tracie

21 replies
8Tracie8 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 22

Anybody...... please???

aussienyankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussienyankie Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 22

http://www.ices.org/ did you try this site, i cant help you but i know the rules are here for the NC one

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 22

Here's a link with a link to the regulations- they're in a file form here:
http://www.oklahomasugarartists.com/Event%20Details.htm

8Tracie8 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 22

I still can't find any information on adding wires....... does this mean they are allowed?

Kavingate Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 22

I think that if the part of the cake you're planning to use wires in is intended to be eaten, then wires aren't acceptable. If the trees are pieces on top of the cake, I think that's O.K. Dowels are something that are used in actual cakes all the time, so I should think that those would be O.K. in any case. You might want to email the coordinator person (email and name on the OSSAS website) to double check. It would be a shame if your work was disqualified due to a misunderstanding of the rules and regs!

Kavingate Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 22

Here are two cakes from last year's OSSAS. You can see that the tree on the garden cake has wires, but my guess is that the other probably has dowels.
LL
LL

8Tracie8 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 12:43am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavingate

I think that if the part of the cake you're planning to use wires in is intended to be eaten, then wires aren't acceptable. If the trees are pieces on top of the cake, I think that's O.K. Dowels are something that are used in actual cakes all the time, so I should think that those would be O.K. in any case. You might want to email the coordinator person (email and name on the OSSAS website) to double check. It would be a shame if your work was disqualified due to a misunderstanding of the rules and regs!

The tree that I am making will be on top of the cake.... I went ahead and emailed the coordinator of the OSSAS to double check. Thanks for all of your info.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:22am
post #9 of 22

Any sorta wires is frowned upon. It is only a issue if it is inserted into a cake.

8Tracie8 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 22

Does anyone have any other ideas then? Is it possible to mold a tree without any support system inside it?

moydear77 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 22

You will be fine if you do not insert it into the cake.

8Tracie8 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

You will be fine if you do not insert it into the cake.

Thank you so much you have been a life saver!!! thumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:08pm
post #13 of 22

8Tracie8,
When and where is the show you're talking about? I'd love to be able to go to one but I never know ahead of time about dates etc.

Also, what do I have to do to receive this sort of info?

Thanks!
Carol

8Tracie8 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

8Tracie8,
When and where is the show you're talking about? I'd love to be able to go to one but I never know ahead of time about dates etc.

Also, what do I have to do to receive this sort of info?

Thanks!
Carol

The Oklahoma Sugar Art Show is in Tulsa this coming weekend (Sept 28-30). You can go to their website and check it out.

oklahomasugarartists.com

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:59pm
post #15 of 22

i gotta ask so if you are making a tree with a dowel as the "support" covered in modeling chocolate, you can't put the dowel in the cake?

8Tracie8 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

i gotta ask so if you are making a tree with a dowel as the "support" covered in modeling chocolate, you can't put the dowel in the cake?

The tree is going to be on the very top tier of the cake........ dowel rod is going to be the trunk of the tree and the floral wire will be the branches and then the entire tree will be covered in molded candy clay. I might leave a little bit of the dowel sticking out on the bottom so that I can stick it into the top tier of the cake....... is this not acceptable??

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:22pm
post #17 of 22

You can use wire on the design but not if it goes into the cake. I would make a plaque for the tree. But please make sure that the wires are not in the cake. I love the OSAS. I have participated in the past but the past
few years I have had hand surgery. Next year I want to participate. I will be going to see the designs. Always a great crowd pleaser.

cocorum21 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:28pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Tracie8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

I might leave a little bit of the dowel sticking out on the bottom so that I can stick it into the top tier of the cake....... is this not acceptable??

Thats was I was planning on doing but now i'm confused with the whole can't stick a wire in the cake thing.

8Tracie8 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:39pm
post #19 of 22

I'm confused too LOL!! The wire on my tree will be nowhere near the cake.... I'm just trying to find out if the dowel sticking out of the bottom of my tree can go into the top tier of my cake. If not, then I need to figure another way of getting the tree to sit on top of the cake.

cocorum21 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:47pm
post #20 of 22

I can't imagine not being able to put it into the cake how else would it stay up even on a real cake?

8Tracie8 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:26pm
post #21 of 22

Ok, so I just received an email from the coordinator of the OSSAS and she said that what I'm planning on doing is fine. I'm sorry for confusing everyone with my 100 questions it's just this is my first competition and I'm very nervous. Thanks again for everyone's help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!!

moydear77 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:16pm
post #22 of 22

Dowels are considered structural support. I should have been more clear in my earlier post. Wires can be used in gumpaste flowers and such. It is frowned upon if you insert the wire in the cake. Kim morrison once stuck a wire bird in a cake and was deducted points for it.

Dowels and separator plates are legal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%