I Didnt Make A Cake. Now Im In Trouble.

Decorating By Dreme Updated 25 Nov 2006 , 6:57am by Zmama

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:33am
post #1 of 16

This week I had a cake for a baby shower to do. I was already fuming cause I couldnt get any MM or powdered sugar (a whole nother thread) to do the darn thing early for Wednesday. Instead it was finnished that night. It was a last minute cake for a friend who was willing to pay a little more to get me to do it on such short notice. (I love my friend).

Now this is where I got in trouble.

My dad had already brought stuff the cook with and wanted to cook the same day I was trying to do my cake. Being the cake baker in our family he wanted me to do it. He had got GERMAN CHOCOLATE! (Yes I have a whole thread on this too). Now if you know me then you now that German chocolate is not my cake. He knows that. But he got it anyways.

So now im not pressed to do the cake cause of my prevous failures with that type. He says he will be in the kitchen when im finnished. Time goes by and im finnished with the cake, The baby shower cake. My Dad is now furious cause I hadnt baked his and now he wants to get in the kitchen, so I will have no time to do it (cause he likes to have the kitchen to himself as do i when doing a cake). He is mad cause he has to do it, taking away time from the other things he has to cook.

Another reason he got mad is cause i was willing to do a cake for a non family member for profit but not a simple non-decorative cake that i cant stand anyways for family. He says when its someone you know you jump to do a cake for them, But when its family you cant do it.

Actually, she asked first. Yes she is paying and gave me artistic freedom, (meaning use of fondant), so that made it a little more fun, and yes i got more excited. He asked after I had started hers and he asked me do do a cake he has seen me fail at over and over. I didnt have enough time to do his. So im sorry.

Besides every cake he asks me to do is something you can buy in a store. I know we dont eat store cakes now, but i dont like to make ones that look like them either. I do decorative ones, ones with fondant. (He hates fondant).

He ended up making the cake. Told the family how I wouldnt make one for our dinner, causing them to fuss at me. I am the only person in my family who HATES GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH 2 CANS OF COCONUT FROSTING THAT CANT BAKE ONE TO SAVE HER LIFE AND THATS ONE REASON I HATE IT BESIDES THE FACT THAT THE CAKE HATES ME TOO.

Sorry I just had to vent

15 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:45am
post #2 of 16

Families can be so rude. This doesn't sound like your fault.

Tell your family you have a new policy, you only bake for free if you offer and you only bake what you want. icon_lol.gif

Don't let your dad get you upset, fathers can be pains in the rear. Of course I have a bad attitude about mine. icon_twisted.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:55am
post #3 of 16

wow - don't feel bad...All the cakes I did for Turkey day were technically for profit. I did one for my coworker who is working tomorrow so I don't have to so she deserves it. Sadly, to my 'non-profit' family, I took a banana pudding (requested) and extra red velvet cupcakes (that were left over from a customer order- because I added too much sugar to my batter so had to double!). I really wanted to make a nice TD cake, but I just ran out of time. Besides, there was too much food anyway. Don't let everyone get you down.

Maybe make him a cake at your leisure...

Dreme Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:03am
post #4 of 16

You guys made me feel better. Thanx!

I dont mind doing it for family if its non profit for a holiday gathering. I just didnt have time or the ability to do that particulair type of cake. He doesnt seem to get that.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:04am
post #5 of 16

A commitment is a commitment, especially when it comes to business. Sounds like your dad was being a bit unrealistic, and unfairly putting you in an uncomfortable position. No fair!
I can totally relate to the stubborn, clueless family member situation. Your dad will get over it, though. And when you have an opportunity, tell the rest of the family the "whole story". They may see things a bit differently.
If your dad every brings over another german chocolate cake for you to make, by all means make it. But give him fair warning in front of someone else that he'll be sorry. That way, he can't say you didn't tell him so!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:04am
post #6 of 16

I'm sorry that your family feels this way. I think that you SHOULD have a new policy.

That you will NOT make any more free cakes that you don't like making.

If they want you to make cakes, they have to pay you even if it's 5 bucks..lol!

and double if its for the same day! lol

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 6:57am
post #7 of 16

German chocolate? ICK! I wouldn't have made it for anyone. He needs a kick in the rear for acting like that!

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 16

Thats parents for you... is he single? I think he'd get on well with my Mother!!!

Took a sneaky peak at your photos and your bows are fabulous, espeically love the cream and tan one with the pearls!

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 16

I once made a orange chocolate cheesecake with a thick chocolate sauce for a family meal. The next day they asked me to make Krispie Treats and I failed. I took such a teasing over it. But you know what, I'd rather be able to make an extraveagent cake than krispie treats or simple sheet cake. If other people don't understand than they can have their yucky cake. I for one, love German chocolate cake but only when it's homemade coconut pecan frosting & chocolate CHEESEcake. MMMMmmmmm!!!!!!!

And as far as family making last minute demands, better to train them now that they can't walk all over you than to try to train them later. Cause sooner or later you will have to teach them that you are in charge of you. Obedience to our parents only goes so far once we are adults. lol

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 4:52am
post #10 of 16

Is it your Dad's home and kitchen? Or yours?

Maybe he was upset as he had to wait for the kitchen, to make the cake?

You said, yours was a last-minute order, but that he had already bought the stuff for his cake.

Possibly he was upset that what he planned did not happen, and that's why he said things that hurt. My Dad does that, and then forgets what he said, whereas I remember the words forever. So for him, the episode is over, but not for me!

Karen

Dreme Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 5:02am
post #11 of 16

Thank you Sparklycake!

karennayak

Yes & Yes. (I know im prolly to old to still be in the house). No so much that he had to wait, he gave me time. Moreso that I didnt do what was asked, baking the cake while I was doing the other one; and the fact that he had to do it.

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:18am
post #12 of 16

Hope I didn't offend you.

I truly didn't mean to.

I was just trying to look at it from another angle.

Karen

Dreme Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:25am
post #13 of 16

No no, your fine. Im not offended.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:33am
post #14 of 16

Ok all you German Chocolate haters! What is the matter with you? I LOVE them. I think you just have not had a good one. Also, they are not easy if you make them from scratch. Now a box with canned frosting is another story.

So if it was a box then I think I can see your dads point of view. I mean really how easy and it would not have taken long at all. You could have mixed it up and tossed it in the oven to bake while you were decorating your for pay cake. Then once cooled you could open the can of frosting and put it in. Maybe take five more minutes of your time.

Let me tell you something. My dad died several years ago and I would do anything to have him here to ask me for a cake. I don't care what kind I would make it in a heartbeat. So please don't be so quick to get angry at your dad. He loves you and he must love your cakes or he wouldn't ask you to make him one. The day may come where he won't be around to ask for you to bake for him.

I know we can all get busy at times but family should be important and to have them ask for your cakes is an honor. Many people don't have that have.

Dreme Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:49am
post #15 of 16

Why I dont do German Chocolate.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49376-.html

Any other cake I would have done, but a cake that was going to fail would have failed was a waste of time. Even if the baby shower ake was german chocolate I would have said no. Thats not a cake that I can do so I dont offer it.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:57am
post #16 of 16

Joanne - I dont do nuts or coconut, so that's why that cake is out. Nothing against the chocolate, I swear!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%