Liqueur - What Goes Well With Chocolate

Decorating By Sugar Updated 29 Jul 2005 , 6:10pm by Sugar

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 25

Could you please tell me what liqueurs go well with chocolate. I'm looking for something that is very mild and preferable not orange.

It is for a chocolate frosting. With a chocolate cake. Would dark rum work?

He really likes a classic, all American style cake, but I wan't something to just give it that extra kick, and the buttercream I want to use requires a liqueur.

Thanks!

24 replies
jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 25

Kirsch (cherry), Frangelico (hazelnut), Bailey's, raspberry (I don't know a brand name for this one), etc.

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 25

I've used Rum in my chocolate cake batter, and it's YUMMY!
I've never used liquor in my frosting, sounds good though.

You can try. . . Rum, Amaretto, or Frangelico. . .
any of these 3 would compliment Chocolate well! I like all three of them, I'm such a lush! Ha! just kidding! It all depends on your preference.
I'm in a "Frangelico" mood today, so if I were making it, that's what I'd pick. . . as with anything, pick something you know you like.

Good Luck & let us know what you end up using icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 25

I know he hates hazlenuts (so sad!) and doesn't like chcolate and raspberries or orange. He cringes at Ameretto as well. (He really isn't that picky though!)

What about Godiva? That might work, right?

alengirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 25

If you already have Godiva and you know he likes it, go for it icon_smile.gif

I just thought, you can also use a Coconut Rum, or Butterscotch Schnapps (if he likes them).

The important thing is to make him happy icon_smile.gif

Sugar Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 25

The only thing I have at home is rum and vodka, and that's not for decorating purposes!

I just thought a chocolate liquer would be the most mild.

Perhaps I should host a tasting session with myself this weekend? icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 25

What about KAhlua or Tia Maria? You could probably even use peppermint schnapps, strawberry schnapps or wilderberry schnapps. Also, just about any flavor brandy works extremely well with chocolate.

lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 25

Hi...I use Cointreau which is orange flavoured and very mild...compliments chocolate beautifully.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 25

I was also going to suggest Kahlua - great flavor with chocolate cake! thumbs_up.gif

alengirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar

The only thing I have at home is rum and vodka, and that's not for decorating purposes!

I just thought a chocolate liquer would be the most mild.

Perhaps I should host a tasting session with myself this weekend? icon_smile.gif

Sugar, I've tried some of those chocolate liquors and they're anything but mild. Ever had a Chocolate Martini, it will knock your socks off girl!

I saw someone suggested Kaluah, I was going to as well, but I thought you wrote that he didn't like that. . .does he?
I know you wrote he doesn't like orange. . I usually don't like orange,
but there nothing like a B-52 on the rocks!!!
MMMMM! I going to have to have one tonight at happy hour now!!!!
icon_lol.gif

Good Luck! And if you really want to do the tasting session, if your liquor store is like the ones down here in Miami, you can buy little (not the tiny ones ) bottles of let's say 3 different liquors (you don't want to spend a fortune) and have a taste test with him. . . This was for your husband right? Not for a client who ordered a cake? That would be too funny, me suggest you to take "shots" with a client! icon_lol.gif

Misdawn Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 25

Hey I bet if she took shots with a client she could probably get paid more on the cake! LOL!

Sugar Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 25

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Yes, it's a cake for my guy, a surprise cake. The little bottles are a great idea, there is a liquer store on my way home from work, so my plan is to purchase a few and have a mini tasting session tonight after my spin class. How fun!

I'll try Kaluha, Godiva, Bailey's and rum (because I have two different kinds at home) A few years ago he bought a bottle of Baileys, so I'll probably go with one of that or Kaluha.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 25

I have a chocolate cake recipe to die for and it has an optional step of putting Grand Marnier on it. It's Chocolate Pudding Chocolate Ganache Cake but you don't have to put the Ganache on it, you could frost it however you like. I've made two of them and my goodness are they decicious. The recipe has been in my family for about 20 years!

Amy

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 25

Doesn't everything go well with chocolate? icon_biggrin.gif

jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:00pm
post #15 of 25

I was thinking the same thing cakemaker icon_lol.gif My favorite is dark chocolate and a nice glass of merlot. Yum. Too bad wine doesn't work in cakes.

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:10pm
post #16 of 25

Traditionally in Europe, any orange flavored liqueur like Cointreau or Grand Marnier goes with chocolate.
Barbara

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgclucas

I was thinking the same thing cakemaker icon_lol.gif My favorite is dark chocolate and a nice glass of merlot. Yum. Too bad wine doesn't work in cakes.

Heehee, who says wine doesn't work in cakes, the Champagne Cake is a good example, haha! Also I have seen many cakes that use Madeira or similar sweet wines. Haha, but personally I am with you, I would rather drink a nice glass of Merlot than put it in a cake.
Swiss Chocolate Almond is a nice liquer. Hhmn, glad I read the posts because I have never seen Butterscotch Schnapps, now that sounds interesting!
With Kirsch, don't go overboard with amounts, you can get a strange bitter taste if you use too much.
Some folks prefer to use the liquers in a simple syrup that they brush on the cake before icing. The flavour is a bit more subtle.
I am thinking a Banana Liquer would work well too.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Misdawn Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:18pm
post #18 of 25

Also, Tuaca. It's a caramel liquour.

alengirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:27pm
post #19 of 25

[quote="SquirrellyCakes"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgclucas

Hhmn, glad I read the posts because I have never seen Butterscotch Schnapps, now that sounds interesting!

It's really sweet & yummy. There's a drink called a Butterynipple that's really good & it's made w/ butterscotch schnapps. . .

Here's the recipe for it, I got it off the internet:
Other variations are name variations are the Slippery Nipple and the Bottom Bouncer.

INGREDIENTS:
Butterscotch Schnapps
Bailey's Irish Cream

PREPARATION:
Layer equal parts in order given into a pony or shot glass. You may also chill each layer separately and layer into a chilled cocktail glass.

I just put equal parts over ice & I'm happy.

Enjoy

Misdawn Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:30pm
post #20 of 25

Hey alengirl...actually a slippery nipple is peppermint schnapps and Baileys Irish Creme.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:32pm
post #21 of 25

Ooh, that sounds like a butterscotch sundae without the icecream headache! Sounds yummy!
Thanks,
Hugs Squirrelly

alengirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:39pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Hey alengirl...actually a slippery nipple is peppermint schnapps and Baileys Irish Creme.

Really? I just quickly copied that recipe off the net so I could add it. . .
Here in Miami, a butterscotch nip is also called a slippery. . .
maybe it's a regional thing. . .never heard of bailey's w/ peppermint (sounds like a good Holiday after dinner drink)

Thanks for the info Misdawn icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:47pm
post #23 of 25

oh it's wonderful! And if you add Kahlua, it's called a Peppermint Patty. I've been a bartender at nights for ten years now, and I think your right...it's defniitely a regional thing. We have a drink here in East Texas called a Cowboy Killer. It's awesome, but I'm sure ya'll would probably have the same drink but call it by a different name.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 5:14pm
post #24 of 25

Heehee, it has been many years since I hit the bar scene. Back then I would have been embarassed to ask for a drink with a name like, "Between the Sheets". Now I think I would really have a rough time judging from some of the names the drinks have that my daughters talk about. Haha, they should be given two names. One for the young and another for the oldtimers that can still blush, haha!
Haha, we may end up with a Naughty Drink Discussion category!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Sugar Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 6:10pm
post #25 of 25

My, I'm getting tipsy just reading this.

Hiccup.

Hiccup.

Back to work icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%