What Do You Think Of This Opportunity?

Business By Steph2325 Updated 25 Sep 2007 , 10:15pm by Steph2325

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 13

An acquaintence of mine is buying a gas station in my little town (located on a highway) and is expanding to also be a coffee/bakery sort of thing. She asked if I would be interested in contracting out all the baked goods. I can use their kitchen OR I can work at home and bring in the stuff. She said I can also use their kitchen for cake orders if I want and have monthly taste tests, etc. I would have all say in what items to bake. (cookies, bars, muffins, cupcakes, etc) This sounds like my dream job! I am an at-home mom currently. My youngest just started kindergarten this year (MWF all day) and I've been looking for something to do a couple days a week. Her kids and my kids are friends. She said they'll also be a kids play area so I could bring my kids to work during the summer. Is there something I might be missing here or something I need to think about?
Thanks so much-
Steph

12 replies
coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 13

This sounds awesome! I'm jealous. I've been thinking of baking some cookies, etc. and taking them to some 7-11 type stores to see if they'll buy them from me. I'm needing some extra cash badly. Good luck to you! icon_smile.gif

jklcooper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jklcooper Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 13

It sounds great to me! Maybe you can agree to trying it out for a few months (maybe 3 or 6) and then evaluate whether or not you want to continue. That way you would have an out if things weren't working out.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 13

I would check into if you can legally bake them from home or if you have to use her (presumably licensed) kitchen first off. I do not know what state you live in so that and the city codes would be a great place to start with. If that works out it sounds like a fantastic opportunity! You could work while the kids are at school ,make your own hours and be pretty creative with what you make..sounds great!
Best of luck,
Tracy

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 13

You go girl!! thumbs_up.gif What a sweet opportunity! I dream of something like this falling into my lap! Good luck!

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 13

Go for it!!! icon_smile.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 13

What a dream come true!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:39am
post #8 of 13

Go for it!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 13

Go for it! I'd love an opportunity like that. I'd like to be fully functioning and have a steady flow of clients by the time my kiddos are in kindergarten.

I would sit down with your friend and write a contract, just a CYA on your part and hers. Things like how much are each going to pay for electric, water, etc.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 13

WOW! Sounds GREAT to me.....GO FOR IT !

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 13

Sounds GREAT, but I would cover my rear no matter who I was in business with, as far as a contract.

Steph2325 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and info. I live in Iowa, so you don't have to be licensed to bake from home, as I understand.

Good call on writing up a contract. What the heck should I put in it though? I've never done anything like this before, I'm a little lost in the shuffle. icon_eek.gif

My husband is getting shifty on me...he's worried I'll be committed to a job and not have the free time we're (he's) used to. Maybe he's worried he'll have to do a load of laundry or something, hehe. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks all.
Happy Day,
Steph

Steph2325 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 13

I just read this on the IA Extension Website. Interesting.

Exempt from Licensing

Home-based firms that only sell non-potentially hazardous
food (including bakery products) on a retail basis
are exempt from licensing.

People can prepare and sell cookies from their homes
for sale to the general public. If they sell cookies or
other non-potentially hazardous bakery products to
restaurants, grocery stores, or to an institution, then the
preparer must be licensed as a food processing plant.

Happy Day,
Steph

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%