Cake Tasting Rating Card

Business By sugarlove Updated 25 Sep 2007 , 3:08am by MrsAB

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 18

Hi, I've been thinking I need something like this since I've been doing a lot of r/d with my scratch recipes. Does anyone have something similar that is provided to tasters for comments and suggestions?

Here is one but most of it is blurred.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=643003317&size=l

17 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 18

I was thinking of doing this with the cupcakes I've been sending with hubby to work for my "testsers." Maybe I'll get real answers if people can fill out a card anonymously.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 18

I'm also interested in having a rating /feedback sheet for cake tastings. I'd even use it for bridal tastings to help them make a decision on flavors. Maybe we could brainstorm categories & ratings and help eachother create one? I've done this for events and trainings, but never for food. My suggestion is always- keep it simple. And leave room for lots of comments. Here are some things I might put on one:

Taste
Too sweet--Just right--Not sweet enough
Too light--Just right--Too strong

Texture
Too dry--Just right--Too moist
Too crumbly--Just right--Too dense

Flavor combination (cake/filling)
Not quite right--Pretty good--Very complimentary

Any other ideas?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:04am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I was thinking of doing this with the cupcakes I've been sending with hubby to work for my "testsers." Maybe I'll get real answers if people can fill out a card anonymously.

My hubby's coworkers are my official testers also. He makes it PERFECTLY CLEAR that we are experimenting with something new, "....so no 'nice' comments! We want the truth about what you think." They've taken him to heart and I get excellent feedback.

Sent a new-recipe cake in last week and while they loved the taste, they thought it was too crumbly. VEry moist, but crumbly. One co-worker, who works with me on caterings, and knows about wedding cakes, said "This won't work on a wedding cake set-up, but it's great tasting for a "just because" cake."

They would never write all of that out on a comment card, so if I had them fill out a card, I feel I would miss out on some TRUE opinions.

They don't have time for "homework" ... they just want a free cake once in awhile in exchange for voicing their true opinions.

I say don't turn this into a project. Give them some cake and ask them what they think. That's all you need....that's all you're looking for.

albumangel Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:09am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

They don't have time for "homework" ... they just want a free cake once in awhile in exchange for voicing their true opinions.

Very true! In that situation, I wouldn't use a feedback sheet. But I've been wanting to do a tasting event to compare several recipes I've tried and a few I've been considering. Make it like a wine-tasting event for friends and acquaintences. And I can think of other situations where a simple feedback sheet would be helpful.

But you make a great point!

indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 18

albumangel, a wine-tasting version of cake sounds fun!

For something like that, I recommend adding to your feedback sheet the following option, which I was fortunate enough to learn about many moons ago:

Rate it overall on a scale of 1 to 10.
"I would have rated it higher except for .........."
"I would have rated it lower except for ........."

This gives them a chance to offer opinions that may not be explainable in an "Acceptable----Fair-----Excellent" format. It gives you the best points and the worst points.

I've used this system in lots of marketing projects and it is really valuable information.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:21am
post #7 of 18

I totally agree, that they don't have time for homework, but I've found that some people are afraid to give you true answers to your face, but they might write it down if they knew it was anonymous.

I'm sending in more cupcakes tomorrow with hubby, and this time to the girls in the office, so maybe I'll get some good feedback because the construction guys will eat anything and say it's good! icon_smile.gif

sugarlove Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 18

In indydebi situation where here testers are her husbands co workers well of course they might not have the time. I wouldn't discount a rating or feedback form based on one persons' view of it. Then again, it could just be that indybebi's particular group of testers aren't willing to go through the "homework" of providing detailed honest feedback/sugestions on a form doesn't necessarily mean other testers aren't willing to especially if they willing volunteered and offer their support. This form will be a great tool in a formal testing session.

Research and development is a very important part of business planning for any type of business in the food industry; without a good feedback/sugestion system in place then r/d as far as recipes or formulas would be usless.

For companies such as Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, Ben and Jerry's etc... do you think they don't have their products tasted and tested and detailed feedback provide on some type of feedback or rating card? I bet they have their formulas tasted/tested "inhouse" before outsourcing to a marketing firm to have products tested by consumers and based on this feedback will determine what products make it to our grocery shelves. Also, those consumers/testers are offered coupons,free products, etc...in exchange for their participation and providing their opinions/feeback on such products. There really isn't any difference between what the large companies are doing and what a small one is doing by sending samples to coworkers to taste test and provide some feedback. They are essentially getting free cake in exchange for their time and opinion. It's not like it takes 20 minutes or for them to do researching to provide (write) feedback on form, so where's the "homework"?

If your testers are informed in advance that their honest opinion is needed whether it's positive or negative it doesn't matter. Their feeback and sugestions will help assist with improving your product. This information is great to have part of your marketing and business plan if someone does decide to try to get financing for their business.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 18

Last time I did an informal taste test I asked my testers to rate the cake as
don't ever bake the cake again
Very good
Cut me a second slice
icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Very good
Cut me a second slice
icon_smile.gif

Oh now THAT tells you everything you need to know!! thumbs_up.gif

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 18

I was thinking about something along this line. I have a pretty good email list made up of local customers. I was thinking about sending an invitation to my friends, co-workers, friends of friends, former customers, etc. for an informal cake testing. I would make several different cakes that I want opinions for and as that my guests "rate the cakes".

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:

Very good
Cut me a second slice
icon_smile.gif

I love this one! thumbs_up.gif I'm taking notes on this one!

sugarlove Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:

Very good
Cut me a second slice
icon_smile.gif

lol. although that is funny it would be too broad. Don't ever bake this cake again...why? is it the texture, not sweet enough, too much almond, taste like cornbread,too dense,too crumbly..the list can go on. On an "overall" scale those would do. I would like something with points or a scale of 1-5 or 1-10.

BTW, the author of the rating form in the picture will be emailing a copy soon. So, I can get some ideas from that too. Another thing did a search for "wine tasting form" just to see how those are put together.

http://www.delongwine.com/tasting-form-de-long.pdf

http://www.wine-lovers-page.com/tastfrm2.htm

The cake and wine tasting could be a good idea especially for pairing wines with wedding cake flavors. Then again, I would prefer to have them drink water to clear the palette for the next flavor, wouldn't want other stuff interfering with the taste buds.

albumangel Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 18

So, you've inspired me to work on a form over my lunch hour. My goal was to keep it simple (not too much reading involved) but to gather feedback to help me improve a recipe, or to help a bride decide during a cake tasting. I've also formatted it to fit on a half sheet of paper, which I like to do with feedback sheets- it feels like less stuff when the participant is filling it out.

I'd love to hear what you think! Can I improve the wording or layout? Why would you use it, or not?

I'm attaching a screenshot (image) since I can't attach my Word document.
LL

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:11am
post #15 of 18

I love it! Could you send it in word in a PM?

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:42am
post #16 of 18

albumangel, I like this form, too. Could you e-mail it to me? I know word format documents won't attach in PMs, but if you PM me, I'll give you my e-mail address.

I would also like to see an area for "fillings", too, especially since many of my Brides will have fillings in their wedding cake since it may be the only time they would have something that special.

Thanks for taking the time to start out a form like this for us! You're talented in more than one area!

Odessa

albumangel Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:56am
post #17 of 18

Unfortunately, I can't attach Word docs in an PM or a post. If you'd like a copy, just send me a PM with your email and I'll attach it back to you.

Quote:
Quote:

I would also like to see an area for "fillings", too, especially since many of my Brides will have fillings in their wedding cake since it may be the only time they would have something that special.

I tried to think about how to word this one in a way that would give me the best feedback, but then I thought that they could give that feedback in their written comments. In my experience most people don't differentiate between the cake and the filling when eating a slice. If anyone has ideas about how to better rate the fillings without making the form too complipacted, Id' love the feedback. Thanks!

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:08am
post #18 of 18

SugarLove,

When you get a copy of the rating form from the author, please post if you can. I would love to see it.

And thanks for this post!

Happy Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%