Advertising A "non-Legal" Business?!?!

Business By janetwhitson Updated 25 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm by TPDC

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 7

Are there any of you out there that aren't legalized that still advertise your business in public places? Is that just asking for trouble? I'm thinking of selling my cakes but I've just moved to a new city and don't know too many people. I don't have the money to go legal right now, so I'd like to do it just sort of "under the table". Any suggestions?

6 replies
Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 7

I think advertising in public places is asking for trouble. In my city (in Canada). It is a 10,000 fine if you get caught making cakes without a legal kitchen. And more for not having a business liscence.

icon_eek.gif

doilychik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doilychik Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 7

Hi! I have been decorating cakes for about 4 years now, started out just for family & close friends. But I started branching out a little about 1 1/2 years ago, after I made my s-i-l's wedding cake. Going by what a coworker who used to run a bakery in my neighborhood, advertising in print in any way will get you in trouble. As long as it is word of mouth there should be no problems. This is in PA, & I am NOT licensed (yet, anyway!!). I carry a small photo album with pics of some of my favs in it to work (I work in a local hospital, 2 days a week). I have gotten SEVERAL orders from coworkers who have seen my pics & have tried things I take in to my dept for them to try, new recipes. I have actually picked up 2 wedding cakes for coworker's daughters!! Plus, I have one gal who I have made 5 cakes for so far. She calls me for every cake need, birthdays to graduations!!

I also plan on donating baked goods for our hospital's holiday bazaar & bake sale next week. I will put a sign up that I made the stuff. Enough people at work know my name that I may get some leads that way, too.

Business can pick up quite quickly when you aren't even expecting it. I hope this helps!!

icon_biggrin.gif

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 7

I put my cakes up on myspace and people from around my area see them. I just put on there that it's my hobby to make cakes (not like it's a business) and I get emails from people. Most of the people I went to school with but sometimes there's one or two younger girls who are getting married that would like me to make their cake... unfortunately, the only venue around here that does weddings, checks the cake baker if they're licensed so I can't do wedding cakes which really TICKS me off! icon_mad.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 7

You are asking for major trouble if you advertise. If you aren't "legal" you shouldn't even hand out business cards. You could really get into trouble. I would stick to "word of mouth", do them for "friends & family". Word of mouth goes around fast. Don't risk having to pay a fine or having to go to court. It's not worth it.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 7

How do you become legal then?

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 7

Arizona call your local health department. Here is some great information that kelleym compiled.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32550-states.html+licence+license

As for advertising in public...bad idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%