Why Does My Cake Fall Apart?

Decorating By jenlg Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 7:16pm by vdrsolo

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:52am
post #1 of 10

Ok fellow CC'ers I'm going to leave this in the hands of the night shift here. I can't figure out why it is that whenever I make a chocolate cake it falls apart. I just made yellow, vanilla, and chocolate layers. The chocolate is the only one that crumbles. EVERY TIME! I flip it out of the pan and try to flip back right side up, or just move it to a cake board, and crack! I use the Wilton cake release and baking strips, and it's a box mix. Doesn't matter how long its left in the pan, cold or warm, still falls apart. Help please, what's going wrong??

9 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:04am
post #2 of 10

I don't have the answer for you. I know that the chocolate cake recipe I make is very delicate, too. I try to only handle the layers when they are cold b/c they will fall apart otherwise.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:19am
post #3 of 10

Here are two cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu
(short list from joyofbaking.com.)

http://tinyurl.com/3dmp96
(long list from Sarah Phillips of baking911.com.)

HTH

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the help! I guess if at first we don't succeed, try again, and again, and again!

The second website was really helpful in other areas too! Thanks!

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 10

I'm not sure where I got the tip, but I let my pans sit on a clean towel for 10 minutes after they get out of the oven then I turn them out and let them finish cooling on a rack. I also use the bake strips and the Wilton cake release. . . . good luck!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 10

Might try adding an egg or two more.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

EVERY TIME! I flip it out of the pan and try to flip back right side up, or just move it to a cake board, and crack!

I don't know if this will help, if you are not doing this, place the rack over the pan before you flip it out. Then do not touch the cake until it is entirely cool, no flipping it back over.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 10

Just a thought.. Try adding just a little more Oil. If you will notice.. The cake box mix for chocolate always requires more oil than others. Just a thought!

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 10

Don't know why it would do that but if you keep having problems...maybe you could stick it in the freezer for an hour or two so you could keep it together until you have it set to decorate.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 10

I haven't had any problems with my chocolate cake cracking, have you tried to switch brands? I have used Betty Crocker choc fudge and also DH Devils food & Dark Choc (to DH mixes, add 1 pkg choc pudding, and an extra egg).

For larger cakes, I always line the bottom of my pan with parchment paper, try this, and it may help keep your cake together, don't remove it until the cake is cooled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%