Help!!! Buttercream Dream Not Crusting?

Decorating By theabsinaz Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm by pinkbox

theabsinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theabsinaz Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to decorating cakes and attempting to make a 2-tier 8"/10" round cake for my daughter's 6th birthday tomorrow...yes, a big undertaking i'm sure for being so green to this and i'm kicking myself now for it. Anyways, I am having a problem....the buttercream I made (Buttercream Dream recipe from this site) is not crusting and it has been over an hour since I iced my cakes & popped them into the refrigerator. The recipe didn't say if it was a crusting or noncrusting buttercream and being a newbie, the very idea that it wouldn't be a crusting one never crossed my mind. icon_redface.gif I want to smooth them out using the VIVA method and then cover both cakes in fondant but the icing just won't crust. What did I do wrong? I used heavy whipping cream liquid instead of milk (didn't have enough milk) but would that keep it from crusting? Is it not crusting because I put them in the refrigerator? I'm afraid to leave them on the counter because the recipe has so much butter in it. The a/c is on but it's 79 degrees inside & 100 degrees outside. What should I do now? I have to get this cake done tonight and i'm freaking out...the party is at 9:30am tomorrow! icon_sad.gif

6 replies
carolyn56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolyn56 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #2 of 7

from one newbie to another i think a thin layer on cake of butter cream is all you need if covering it in fondant don't worry about smoothing it so much and it will be just fine good luck and have a great party

carolyn56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolyn56 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:54am
post #3 of 7

it's me again you should click on articles and it has a tutorial on covering cakes in fondant , i think then you can see how much icing is on the cake

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 7

I'm not sure if I'm too late or not, but I LOVE buttercream dream frosting, and I always use milk and I have never had a problem w/ crusting. I'm thinking maybe the cream caused it to not crust. The only time I had a problem was when I had to soften the butters a little bit (I probably over did it!) and my b/c was WAY too soft but I was just doing stars, it was fine. Good luck!

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 7

Hi! You are not alone. I had the same problem with buttercream dream. It did crust but it took a long, long time. Next time I make it I plan to add meringue powder to help with the crusting issue. Good Luck.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 7

Take them out of the refridgerator and put them in front of a fan. This happened to me last night. I let the cake sit for about and hour and then it crusted just fine. My cakes were frozen (I always ice frozen) and for some reason I had a problem this time. So, if you have a fan this will work.

lu

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 7

First...BREATHE!! haha ok

I have had a problem with cakes not crusting in the fridge. It has something to do witht he condensation inside. Your house sounds cool enough Let it set at room temp for a bit.

Because you are coving in fondant you will be able to smooth it out w/o a problem.

Good Luck
Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%