How Do I Get Bright Vivid Colours?

Decorating By beesting Updated 24 Nov 2006 , 4:13am by beesting

beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 12:14am
post #1 of 8

HI EVERYONE... I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GYES BAKED CAKES EVERYDAY?? I DONT MEAN THE BUSINESSES SO MUCH, MORE THE MEMBERS THAT DO IT AS GIFTS ETC??? ALSO HOW MUCH COLOURING ARE YOU ALL USING TO GET A BRIGHT COLOUR?? I READ THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE A TOOTHPICK AMOUNT , BUT I SWEAR I WILL HAVE TO USE THE HOLE LITTLE BOTTLE IF I ACCTUALLY WANTED TO COLOUR FONDANT TO COVER A CAKE... I AM USING WILTON GEL BASED COLOURS, THEY ARNT AS BRIGHT AS I HAD HOPED , THE BROWN SEEMS TO BE FLESHY COLOUR AND THE ROYAL BLUE KEEPS COMING OUT PALE, ANY HELP??

7 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 12:22am
post #2 of 8

Hi!

You won't regret it if you invest in some Americolor food colors. You can buy them from this site.

You need so much less to get a true, vivid color than with Wilton AND the bottles are easier to use--no toothpick needed

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 12:24am
post #3 of 8

And to answer your first question, I decorate fewer than 10 cakes/year usually. It feels like more than that, though. icon_smile.gif

Welcome to Cake Central!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 12:40am
post #4 of 8

I decorate 4-5 a week and I use Americolors!! The Electric colors...6 in all are Fantastic!!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 2:27am
post #5 of 8

Yep, Ameircolor is the way to go. Also, so those very vibrant colors, get some neons. If you don't want them quite that bright, mix the neons with the regular colors.

If your trying for very dark, rich colors, yes it can take a lot of paste, especially black, red and dark blue. Here is a scarecrow I recently did . Took a lot of coloring, even with Americolor. Just remember that when you add a lot of color, it will think your icing, or make your fondant sticky, so you will need to compensate for that.

Good luck.
LL

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 2:28am
post #6 of 8

Hello,
I agree with HollyPJ, get some Americolor food coloring. I kept reading about how great it was, so I finally broke down and bought some. they're definitely worth the money.
Also, I don't do cakes as a business, though everyone keeps telling me I should icon_lol.gif I do probably about 1 or 2 a month.
~Beth icon_rolleyes.gif

akierasu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akierasu Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 3:23am
post #7 of 8

Oh man, I should probably invest in some Americolor- I just hope my mom will be up to it...

beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:13am
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone , im a bit dissapointed though cause i recently bought like every colour wilton had... they were expensive too.. oh well when i need to replace them ill definately invest in the americolour ones, thanks everyone...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%