How Did Kakesbykitty Do This In Buttercream?? Amazing!

Decorating By moptop Updated 25 Sep 2007 , 2:55am by moptop

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 17

All,

I think the cake below is just incredible and am most impressed by the fact that KakesbyKitty did the texture on the cake itself in buttercream (as opposed to fondant).

How did KakesbyKitty do this??? KakesbyKitty - if you're out there, would you be share your secret? Anyone else know?

I'm doing a castle cake in a couple weeks and would much prefer to do it in buttercream as I think it tastes better yet still would like the stone wall look. If I could learn how to do this we could 'have our cake and eat it too'! (ha ha)

(attempting to insert photo)
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=245893

Many, many thanks!

16 replies
WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 17

Looks like she may have used an impression mat...anyone else have an opinion?

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 17

icon_biggrin.gif" Attempting to insert photo", that's very funny
I think the decorating(brick work) is done with fondant, she even mentioned it there. I see what you mean she also mentioned buttercream, she used it to ice the cake and pipe the vines all over.
If you send a privet message I'm sure she would clarify.

moptop Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:03am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuillere

I think the decorating(brick work) is done with fondant, she even mentioned it there. I see what you mean she also mentioned buttercream, she used it to ice the cake and pipe the vines all over.

Aaaaaaaah, I see.... goodness, and here I thought there was a way to get that look in buttercream. I guess I could ice the cakes as normal in buttercream, lay on the walls made of textured fondant (or perhaps gumpate so they are more rigid), and then remove them prior to eating?

Just love the buttercream taste/texture and know the little girl my cake is for would prefer it as well.

Thanks for your feedback!

Rainybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainybaby Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 17

Hi...if you look at the remarks under the cake she does state that she used an impression mat. The towers are toilet paper rolls covered in fondant .
HTH

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 17
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainybaby

Hi...if you look at the remarks under the cake she does state that she used an impression mat. The towers are toilet paper rolls covered in fondant .
HTH

I saw that comment was made by alaskanmom, not kakesbykitty. Are they the same person? Maybe they are friends.

I used an impression mat on my buttercream castle. The towers are also buttercream.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=91353

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 17

i think is an impression matt...i have one but i had never used it...But is just like the diamons pattern...and i know that works wonderful

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 17

You can use the brick impression matt on either the fondant or the BC, if you use it on BC spray it with the canned colors. HTH

Unless your lucky enough to own an airbrush..........................

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by moptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuillere

Aaaaaaaah, I see.... goodness, and here I thought there was a way to get that look in buttercream. I guess I could ice the cakes as normal in buttercream, lay on the walls made of textured fondant (or perhaps gumpate so they are more rigid), and then remove them prior to eating?

Just love the buttercream taste/texture and know the little girl my cake is for would prefer it as well.

She does say that the cake is done in buttercream and just the details are fondant. If you let the BC crust you can use the impression mats.

Thanks for your feedback!

moptop Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I saw that comment was made by alaskanmom, not kakesbykitty. Are they the same person? Maybe they are friends.

I used an impression mat on my buttercream castle. The towers are also buttercream.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=91353

Ah HA!!! This is exactly what I was hoping for (and what I should have asked initially): crusted buttercream can be texturized using impression mats! YAY! The best of both worlds!!!! Thanks so much for your response and example (beautiful cake!!) I hope mine turns out a fraction as well as yours!!!

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 17

I also used an impression mat on my castle and it was done in crusted buttercream. You'll have alot of fun making this. Hope it turns out great.

moptop Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 17

All,

Just heard back from kakesbykitty directly - it's confirmed - the walls of the cake ARE buttercream and were done with a brick impression mat after they had crusted (thanks for the info, kakesbykitty! Much appreciated!)

I'm so excited now - bit less stressed now that I know I can have the best of both worlds. Thanks all for your input!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 17
moptop Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

Here are detailed intructions from another source using mats on a castle.....

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:0QA_QBDSb4cJ:www.culpitt.com/how-to.php%3Fpage%3D151+cake+texture+mats&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

that's a great reference! thanks very much!

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:29pm
post #16 of 17

Here's a cake by Cambo that I copied for my daughter's bday. She used tip 12 to pipe little stones, let them crust and the pressed them with a Viva towel to get the stone look. I love it, and it is so simple!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=40315

moptop Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:55am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana0323

Here's a cake by Cambo that I copied for my daughter's bday. She used tip 12 to pipe little stones, let them crust and the pressed them with a Viva towel to get the stone look. I love it, and it is so simple!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=40315

WOW! Now that is just so darn clever!!!! what a neat approach! thank you for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%