Snare Drum Cake - Need Advise Please!

Decorating By getfrosted Updated 22 Nov 2006 , 11:29pm by Doug

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!

I have to make a snare drum cake for Sunday and am trying to figure out exactly how to do it. Ideally I would like to ice the entire thing in BC (non-crusting) and then do the accents with fondant. So far so good ....

The problem I see arising ... fondant would have to form a 'ring' around the top of the cake and there are bits of drum 'hardware' around the sides, can anyone say in cofidence that these will not slide down the cake? I really don't want to have to cover the thing in fondant and glue them on, but I will if it's the only way it will work.

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 4

to prevent slide: both "glue" (dissolve fondant in water to get elmer's glue consistency) and well placed, hidden tooth picks.

as for the silver rings....first measure around the cake (a dress makers tape measure works perfectly for this)..then roll out a long thin piece of fondant and cut to width and length needed. then glue to cake (see glue above or for a cake I did, I just used water). note how bands are at top and bottom of cake so just follow edges.

then whip out the sliver luster dust, mix w/ lemon extract or everclear and paint away.

letters on this cake are cut out from either fondant or gumpaste, glued on and painted.

HTH

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 4

Doug, if that was your cake that I posted, I'm sorry I didn't give you credit!! I actually attached the wrong picture - I saved your's to use as a reference in cake. I was supposed to attach a picture of a real snare drum.

The cake I'm doing will be sitting upright (12" round) not on it's side ... that's why I'm worried about the top ring of fondant and the hardware sliding down the sides of the cake on a soft buttercream.

Thanks for the information Doug - much appreciated!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 4

for more secure surface...cover in fondant....

and standing on edge the strips around less likely to migrate....

the hardware -- toothpick in place.

(and no, that wasn't mine)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%