Frosting Cakes

Decorating By ally912 Updated 25 Nov 2006 , 8:18am by 2sdae

ally912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally912 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 6

I have been cake decorating for about a year now. It started when a good friend of mine asked if I would accompany her to the Wilton cake classes. And after Class I my boyfriend encouraged me to take the second course and so on. I'm not the world's best but I do cakes on the side and family and friends love them. The BIGGEST thing I struggle with is icing my cake. I can NEVER get it as smooth/neat looking as I'd like it to be, which is fine if I'm doing basketweave, but no so great for other cakes. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has suggestions, tips, pictures, anything, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Happy Holidays to all and GREAT SITE.

5 replies
daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC! I'm not too great at smoothing my BC cakes either...but Melvira has a great method!!! Here a linc that explains: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49423-roller.html+buttercream+melvira

Also, a lot of people on here use Viva papertowels after the BC icing has crusted to help smooth it over. I personally haven't tried either, but I'm hoping to get a foam roller soon--I'd love for my cakes to be as smooth as Melvira's!!! HTH!

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

HI I have usd the viva method and it works really good except I can never really get my corners perfect. I did check out Melvira's roller method. Oh I am sooo excited about that. I am going to get one after the holiday for the next cake I make.

ally912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally912 Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 5:43am
post #4 of 6

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...I fully plan to try both.. icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 5:55am
post #5 of 6

Hey, Ally,

I just wanted to say Welcome to the forums. You're gonna like it here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 8:18am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmriga

Hey, Ally,

I just wanted to say Welcome to the forums. You're gonna like it here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

More like you will be addicted to here!!!!!! And the melvira method and viva method are both exceptionally helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%