Quick! What Would You Do?

Decorating By luv2cake Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm by luv2cake

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 8

I had a last minute order for a small groom's cake to be picked up today. It will be simple and easy to do, but, it will have the Nebraska Huskers logo on the top. Lots of red w/ some black and white also.

So, here's my question...
I am out of meringue powder (I just don't use much of it anymore) and I am afraid that my colors will bleed. Do you think it is worth all the hassle of waking up the baby, getting my toddler dressed, pile into the car and journey to Wal-Mart all for meringue powder. Or do you think that my BC will be okay w/o it?

I so would just rather work without the meringue powder, but I really don't want the colors to bleed.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? AHhhhH! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
luv2cake Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 8

By the way, I am planning on doing a FBCT of the logo...

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 8

I never use merainge powder in my BC for FBCT, and I have never had a problem with the colors bleeding. HTH!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 8

I never uss MP and have not had trouble with bleeding, I think you'd be fine. Dont' wake the baby icon_smile.gif

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 8

I rarely use meringue powder and I've never had colors bleed. Just keep it cold until it's picked up, and all will be well.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 8

I think you will be just fine, no worry about bleeding and GO HUSKERS! Sorry, I grew up in Nebraska and couldn't resist! I'm with SweetResults--don't wake the baby!

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 8

I've done these before with no merenge? in my buttercream and the colors didn't bleed. But i didn't use black or red so i'm not sure about that one. Just make sure that your red buttercream is thicker so that it wont bleed as much if it does. I would also say that if this is a last minute order then just tell them that they should have given you proper notice so that you could have the supplys you need for the cake. I have four kids under the age of 6 so i know how that is to get to the store. I think for the most part your ok without it. Try to avoid putting it in the fridge after you put it together so that when you remove it, condensation doesn't make it bleed. Hope this helps.

luv2cake Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks y'all for the input. I don't think that I will be going to the store. I will just go ahead and make my FBCT with my regular BC.

Another reason I asked this question is because earlier this week I made an 18 wheeler cake for my husband's job. I put their logo on the side on the trailer part. (I've never put a FBCT onto the side of a cake before) and as it thawed, it caused the red and black to run...huge bummer. I just didn't want something like that to happen again, even though this FBCT would be on the top of the cake rather than the side.

I'll give it a shot. THANKS so much for helping me out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%