Battling The Bulge

Lounge By vonnie99 Updated 25 Sep 2007 , 6:00pm by TexasSugar

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:35am
post #1 of 37

I'd like to start a thread for all of us that are having a tough time with weight! In my experience, the key to losing weight has been mutal support. Going it alone is rough and listening to others with similar struggles and victories and tips is so helpful. It can be empowering and encouraging when you know you are helping others with the little tips you've picked up through the years and when you know others are out there trying hard not to lick the beaters too!! Anyhow - I think this thread would serve as a great sounding board for all of us out there that have the constant cake and cookie temptation as well as the regular weight loss problems everyone faces...
I hope others will join me here...please???

36 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 37

Good idea, Vonnie. I joined Weight Watchers back in August and have lost 8 pounds so far, but I still have 20 to go before I hit the weight that WW set for me.

vonnie99 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 37

8 pounds already? Wow! thumbs_up.gif I love Weight Watchers. I joined a few years ago and lost 80 pounds. I never actually made it to the goal weight - I couln't budge the last 10 pounds for over 6 months and then I gave up adn excepted the weight I had reached. I maintained for the better part of 2 years but a few pounds have crept back on since I started decorating...too much tempation! So I hoping to join a new WW group at work next week....wish me luck! Will power and I don't always get along!!!

michellenj Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 37

I joined online, my husband works too late for me to go to meetings. Don't be too impressed wit hmy 8# though, I have been losing and gaining that 8# for 2 years now. icon_lol.gif

Honestly, I don't know that I'll be able to make it to the goal that WW set for me. I pick way too much!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:48am
post #5 of 37

I will join in icon_biggrin.gif I just bought some lean cuisine and other frozen diet dinners yesterday! I've been fairly good while baking today but did have to test the scone dough icon_redface.gif and some cookie dough as well icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I'm terrible about little scraps leftover and such. I'm good about not eating whole things, it's just the licking beaters and scraps and such like you were talking about. Anyway, I've got quite a bit of weight to loose (3 kids). If I were to loose about 50 lbs, I'd be happy. I could stand to loose another 10-20 though, if I wanted to have the shape I had before I ever had any kids.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:32am
post #6 of 37

There are soooo many posts on here for weight loss tips and support. I have four kids. Gained a ton of weight with each. My twins (my youngest) are now 2. Last year, I was so tired of well, being tired, depressed, frumpy, (add your description here and I felt it). In the past, I tried WW and lost weight, but quickly gained it back. FOR ME (in bold because I'm not saying this applies to everyone) it didn't work. The concept of being able to eat anything, albeit small amounts, DOESN'T WORK!!!! It doesn't work because you are still feeding a craving and your body doesn't get the chance to realign itself. So, I took matters into my own hands and lost 40lbs the old fashioned way...diet and exercise w/o outside intervention. I lost this weight in 6 wks and have kept it off for a year w/o gaining ONE lb back. I'm 37 and have never felt better in my life. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in and I feel fantastic. However, those initial 6 wks were the HARDEST of my life. Give me unmedicated labor anyday over having to go thru that again. But, it was worth every minute of it ( I see now). If anyone wants the gory details of what I did and do to maintain this, send me a PM and I'll let you know. Unless you want me to do it here. I just don't want to hijack the post. I can hear all you skeptics now..."Oh, she used pills." "She is selling something...." LOL. Nope. I'm as pure as they come...no drugs, no pills, nothing has gone into my body, but food and water. thumbs_up.gif I'm living proof it can be done and maintained. Hate me if you like...but, I love myself now. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 11:22am
post #7 of 37

Thecupcakemom---I personally would like to know. If not posted on here, please PM me. K'ly

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 37

I would like to know as well ... I am interested in choosing my food better and finding some better exercise options that are out there!

michellenj Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 37

Let us all know.

In addition to WW, I've been working out a lot harder than I have in the past. If I run on the treadmill for a hour, that is 7 WW points. Which is equal to a lean cuisine BQ chicken pizza. Kinda sad, all that work for 7 measly points.

After having kids, my trouble spots have changed. Before kids, my thighs and butt were my problem, and my stomach was flat and pretty. Now it has reversed. I have got fat on my stomach that will not come off! Anyone else experience this? Could have something to do with the 75# I gained both times I was pg, lol.

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 37

I would love to know how. I don't have the time or money to join anything. I thought about doing 24 hour fitness abd going like at 4:30 in the morning, but that is more on the lack of sleep.

LaSombra Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Let us all know.

In addition to WW, I've been working out a lot harder than I have in the past. If I run on the treadmill for a hour, that is 7 WW points. Which is equal to a lean cuisine BQ chicken pizza. Kinda sad, all that work for 7 measly points.

After having kids, my trouble spots have changed. Before kids, my thighs and butt were my problem, and my stomach was flat and pretty. Now it has reversed. I have got fat on my stomach that will not come off! Anyone else experience this? Could have something to do with the 75# I gained both times I was pg, lol.

I always gained weight in my belly and not in legs...but it has gotten even worse after pregnancy! Well...I've now got fat in the thighs, which I didn't have before but it's mostly in the belly and it's so embarrassing. I almost feel like I look pregnant again!

vonnie99 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 37

cupcakemom, if you have ideas to share - share away! Who knows what impact your ideas will have? You never know what is going to make that lightbulb come on for someone! I admire people who have the discipline to kick their a$$es into gear _ I'll be the first to admit that i'm lazy!

I was heavy my whole life - the fat one in the skinny, athletic family! My older sister is a personal trainer, my younger sister was career army and my brother was a college athletic star - so, yeah...not fun...
Weight Watchers helped me because I needed to learn how to eat properly - I needed someone to show me what a proper portion was and how to balance foods out. And I also needed to see that it wasn't just me that turned to food for comfort so that I could learn from them what to do about that problem.

I think that part of what has caused my rut, is the fact that I currently look better than I ever have! I don't have old pictures of a skinny me - this is my best! So it is hard to visualize an end goal that is better than this...but I want to get rid of this last 20 pounds - or even 10 more!

I read a good idea yesterday though - White strips while you are baking or decorating - I'm going to try that next!

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 37

I can barely stand to look at myself in the mirror anymore! Before I had kids I had a great figure (and thought I was fat!) and now? Ugh I don't even have words to describe it! I had two girls 13 months apart and while I only gained 15 lbs. with each pregnancy my body has completely changed. I did WW last year for about 2 months and lost 15 lbs. but gained it all back when I quit. My husband never says anything about my weight but when I complain about it he tells me the only way to change it is diet and excercise and I know he's right but I absolutely HATE to excercise. He used to be a personal trainer so it's easy for him to say. He's in great shape! Anyhow, now that the weather is cooling down here I will start walking but anything more than that and it's like pulling teeth to get motivated you know?

Wandao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandao Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 37

I'll jump in on the WW, as I just signed up for the WW at work program. I went to WW about five years ago and lost 30lbs. I haven't gained it all back but most of it. I think the biggest thing that makes WW work is the support from other members at the meeting. The program helps you to learn portion control and teaches you how to eat. I wish all of you CC's luck as we go down th road to weight loss...we could even hold our own meeting on CC each week to see how everyone is doing and encourage each other!

vonnie99 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 12:24am
post #15 of 37

Wandao - that's a really good idea - the only reason I didn't name this thread Weight Watchers was because I didn't want to exclude anyone else...but I think that kind of check-in with others is so critical to success. WW gets such a bad rap from people about the meeting concept but it's not like your being weighed in front of a room of people and your weight is being announced! Plus everyone there - even the skinny people - are at there because they know what your going through!

thecupcakemom Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:51am
post #16 of 37

I will respond in full on here tomorrow. I'm in the middle of a huge cake order and can't take the time right now. I'm sorry. I promise tomorrow. Just didn't want you to think I was forgetting you all. You can do it. In the meantime, get your mind ready for this. Think about what you want to look like and how you want to feel.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:21am
post #17 of 37

Last year I lost 25lbs. I have totally kept off 20 of those lbs and have been up and down with the last 5. I want to lose more, need to lose more and am back on the path now to do so.

What worked best for me wasn't some strict diet plan that doesn't allow you to eat. What worked for me is something (most) everyone can realisticly do.

I stopped drinking cokes. I will have one on occasion now, but I never seem to be able to or want to finish one now. There is alot of empty calories in a coke. (Did you know that it takes 3500 of unburned calories to make a lb?) I didn't replace the cokes with diet cokes either. I allow myself one to two diet green teas a day. I only get the second one if I have already had atleast 4 bottles of water.

I think the water has been a big help to me. Not only because I'm drinking it and not a coke, but it is good for your body. Your body needs water to function properly. I wasn't a super fan of water at the beginning, but I do use those flavor packets and that really helped me.

Walking! Walking or anything that gets your body moving is going to help you. The more you more you move the more calories you are going to burn. The more calories you burn the more weight you will lose. You don't have to walk 5 miles a day to get the benefits from it, but some amount will help you. Don't look for front row parking when you go somewhere. Spend 10, 20 or 30 mins walking around the block. Get outside and play with your kids. Put on some music and dance. Anything to just get up and get your body moving.

Thinking about what I was eating also made a difference. I did not want to deprieve myself of anything because I knew if I had cravings they would not go away until I gave in. Instead I found alturnative things that were healthier for me. Such as fruits or sugar free puddings when I wanted something sweet. I also love those 100 calorie packs of snacks. Be aware of the amount of calories in the foods you are eating, as well as the serving size. There are loads of ideas out there that help with the eating with out cutting out the foods you like.

Also straving yourself doesn't help you either. Your body needs atleast 1200 calories a day. If you eat less than that your body will go into stravation mode and will actually store your fat, which is counter productive to trying to lose it.

Baby steps!! For me it really helped me to do each of the above things one at a time. I knew if I tried to do all of it at once then I would fail and give up. It would have been overwhemling for me. So I did each of the things above for a few weeks to a month before adding in the next thing. I accomplished each of them in steps and they stuck alot better for me that way.

You also have to be realistic. You want to take the weight off slowly. If you take it off slowly it helps you to keep it off. I have read that it is more healthy to lose less than 3lbs a week, with 1 to 2 being more average. So if you set realistic goals for yourself it will help you meet those goals. If you want to lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks that is setting yourself up to fail.

The biggest question to ask yourself is are you ready to lose the weight and I mean really seriously ready? Because until you are, you will only struggle and probably not make it very far. So sit yourself down and have a talk with yourself. Do you want to lose the weight for the right reasons? Are you ready to change your life? Because to lose the weight and to keep it off you have to change things that you are doing now, because apparently those things are not working for you.

To me fad diets or most diets don't work because you change your eating habits while on them, but afterward you go back to eating and then gain the weight back. You have to look at what you are eating, how much and what kinds of foods you are eating and make some changes there. Do you have to give up all the good stuff? I didn't. I just ate less of it, and tried to add in more of the healthy stuff.

This is also why I worry about people that take the diet pills. Yes they may help you lose weight, but what happens when you stop taking them? And how good are they for your body anyway?

Losing weight can't be done over night. It took time to get to where we all are now, and it will take time to get it off. But it is better to take the time to get it off, take the time to change your life so that you can really keep the weight off.

Sorry for being so long winded. icon_smile.gif[/u]

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:21pm
post #18 of 37

Ladies, may I jump on this bandwagon with you? I am so embarrased by my weight that I don't even own a scale!
My DH is one of 'them' (slender people), and like CambriasCakes' DH, says 'All you have to do is exercise a bit'. Well, duh, but don't you think I would be doing it already if it was that easy??
I also recently (May) quit smoking - now I snack instead of smoke. Then I started 'caking' for a hobby in July (my lifelong weakness is batter icon_redface.gif ), and I KNOW more weight has come to stay since then.
I have been wallowing in self-loathing (and batter, of course) and I am at my wits end. It's just SO nice to know that I am not alone in this! icon_cry.gif

michellenj Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:47pm
post #19 of 37

I am so bad. Last night I ran 5.5 miles then ate a couple of big brownies. icon_confused.gif

vonnie99 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 10:14pm
post #20 of 37

TeexasSugar said

Quote:
Quote:

The biggest question to ask yourself is are you ready to lose the weight and I mean really seriously ready? Because until you are, you will only struggle and probably not make it very far.

I agree 100%!!! I haven't been in the right frame of mind to lose and I'm still not sure I'm there again yet...I'm going to try though!

and Michellenj - don't think you were bad for eating the brownies - focus on the fact that you ran 5.5 miles!!!

TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 11:24pm
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnie99

TeexasSugar said
Quote:
Quote:

The biggest question to ask yourself is are you ready to lose the weight and I mean really seriously ready? Because until you are, you will only struggle and probably not make it very far.

I agree 100%!!! I haven't been in the right frame of mind to lose and I'm still not sure I'm there again yet...I'm going to try though!

Vonnie, I don't think it ever hurts to try. You might not be totally ready not, but you may find the point you are soon. Until then you can make a effort to change things in your life.

It is really easy to see threads like these on message boards, or maybe you were watching Oprah or what ever show and they are talking about weight loss and you think, yep I need to do that. Of course anyone that is over weight needs to do it, but it happens differently for ever person.

I grew up heavy. I was tiny as a little kid, but somewhere along the way I just kept gaining weight. I remember being heavy in middle school, a little more heavy in high school and then just steadily growing after that. I never 'dieted' when I was younger. Of course I wished the weight away and had those moments of wanting to do something about it. But there was always tomorrow, or next week or... next month

I've thought back to what lead me to start the process I did. There are a few things I can pin point it to I think, but it was really one day I woke up and said "I'm giving up cokes" and I did. Of course it was hard at first since I would drink 3-4 a day atleast, but now I don't even miss them. Occasionally I'll want a sip and they just don't taste very good any more.

I lost 3lbs in 3 weeks just by dropping the cokes. And of course that motivated me to want to do more. That is where the walking came in. My biggest problem last year was I took one day off my walking, and then just had the hardest time getting back on the treadmill. Plus I was still losing weight, at a more slower pace, but still lost up to a point, and then I lost my motivation.

BUT as I said in my earlier post, I definetly kept off 20 of the 25lbs for a year, so that leads me to think that while I wasn't walking (started back this week) I was still eating better and of course wasn't getting those empty calories in cokes. That has helped me to keep the weight off.

thecupcakemom Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:10am
post #22 of 37

Ok, ladies...here we go.

I'm not saying my way is for everyone, but, damn, if I can do it--anyone can. I have four kids 10, 3 and 2 yr twins. Extra time I do not have, but I schedule time daily in my planner for exercise. I treat this as any other important appointment and if I can't make it one day, I reschedule by going TWICE the next day. This is correct, I said TWICE.

I started out by going cold turkey 100%. Which means NO sugar, NO junk food, and NO booze. My mindset going into my weightloss plan was that of an alcoholic. You can't go from 12 beers a day to 1 and not still be an alcoholic. In my opinion, same goes for food. I know what my weaknesses are and I have to avoid them 100%. It's not to say that I won't ever have it again, but for now, it works for me. I have not had one ounce of sugar, junk food (chips, fries, soda, any processed food) since October 30, 2006. Yes, I keep track just like alcoholics keep track of days of sobriety. I have not gained back one pound of my 40lb loss.

I dropped my calories to 1200 a day. This was TOUGH!! I was a BITCH for the first two weeks. Notice it's in caps...I was a bitch on wheels. But, then after the first two weeks the junk was out of my system and everything started to get much easier. For breakfast I would eat two packets of plain oatmeal w/ 1/4 cup raisins and a large sprinkling of cinnamon (no sugar). Hot tea w/ splash of skim milk and splenda (God's little gift to dieters). Morning snack would be 100% whole wheat english muffin with the smallest amount of peanut butter I could put on there (just for taste and protein) with a sliced banana. Lunch would be a Weight Watcher's frozen meal. Mid afternoon snack would be apple or fruit. Dinner would be another WW meal with a salad w/ balsami vinegar straight up. A ton of water all day. I used the WW meals as they are such an easy way to track your calories. I would eat myself first and then make dinner for the kids. Sometimes I would even have to leave the room while they ate cuz it was too tempting.

While doing this, I hit the gym a minimum of 2 times a day and some days even 3. Since I have a lot of kids, I had to be at the gym at 5 each morning. I would walk on the treadmill on the highest incline and walk at 4.0 for 30 min. I held onto the bars the whole time as this is a huge incline. I used the treadmills that had tv's att'd to help pass the time. I would go back to the gym mid-day if I could get someone w/ the kids. Then again in the evening after the kids were in bed and my husband was home. The weight POURED off. Again, I was a bitch on wheels as I was hungry, tired and still fat. But, then the weight started coming off and damn..I was on my way. The weight loss just motivated me to keep going. I monitored everything I ate and sometimes even weighed it.

I'm sure typing this I'm missing critical things I did as I'm just not thinking of them. Please ask away and I'll answer as best I can. Keep in mind that you don't have to eat PURE forever. Just until you get on track with your weight loss. I still go to the gym daily to walk for my 30 mins, but I can eat more things now. I still don't eat yucky things. Once I had a hot dog at a party. Holy Cow that upset my system like you wouldn't believe. I felt hungover the next day like I drank a bottle of vodka...my body just can't take eating junk food now. The smell of MCD fries makes me ill whereas I could eat my weight in them before. HTH.

LaSombra Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:41am
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupcakemom

Ok, ladies...here we go.

Thank you so much for sharing! I agree that cold turkey is the way to go. I did that last year and was doing really well on the diet I'd started for myself and lost a good 10 lbs. I think that when I went off it was when I had a huge argument on another messageboard with some young guy who said my diet wouldn't work. I was eating according to the glycemic index of foods (no simple sugars, all complex carbs and higher protein foods). The weight was coming off well even over Christmas! I started the diet in mid-december and I absolutely stuck to it, no simple sugars AT ALL and that made it much easier than saying I'll just have a little bite or whatever.

Anyway, I shouldn't have let that kid get to me but I did and now I've gained all the weight back and then some and it makes me feel miserable as I could be way down to a really good size by now if I'd have stayed on that diet icon_sad.gif

I'm getting back on track now. I haven't had anything bad for me yet today. I'm getting ready to make cookie dough for the market though. That will be tough. Wish me luck!!

thecupcakemom Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:20am
post #24 of 37

IN the beginning you can't look at it as, "Oh my God, I have to eat like this forever??! Forget it." I took it at one day at a time. When I was really hungry I even took it one hour at a time. After the first few days you don't feel deprived anymore. It's a mental thing. You just have to work through it. I also weigh myself every single morning when I wake up (after I go to the bathroom). This will give you your true weight. I keep track of it in a composition book. It was nice to see the progress in writing as it encouraged me. It can be done. Just take it one day at a time. I also didn't tell anyone (except family) that I was dieting. It's no one's business. I did it completely on my own for myself. They saw the results on their own and man, there were people who didn't even recognize me. Talk about being good for the ego.

michellenj Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #25 of 37

Hmmmmm......so you're telling us that diet and exercise works???? icon_razz.gif I thought you were going to tell us to eat like 3 bars of Special Dark a day or something. icon_razz.gif

Your plan would never work for me. I had an eating disorder, and yours is too extreme, it would send me back over the edge. Thanks for sharing.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #26 of 37

thecupcakemom - do you by any chance have any wonderful and healthy recipes that you wouldn't mind sharing with us? I have to cut back sugar drastically (pre-diabetic) and lose some weight. I really need to find some good veggie recipes.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 5:30pm
post #27 of 37

It's interesting to see what works for some and what doesn't work for others.

Weighing every day doesn't work for many people. Espeically if they are struggling because weight changes through out the day and can be up and down during the week. Some people should only weight once a week (pick a day to do it) and keep track of that. Seeing the ups and downs every day can be discuraging.

I've read information in lots of places that suggest that you not deprieve yourself of food. There are many 'diet' plans that actually encourage (healhty) snacks. They suggest smaller meals through out the day. One of the reasons for this is if you do skip snacks and you get to the point where you are over hungry you are more prone to overeating at the next meal you have.

LaSombra Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 37

That's why I like going by the glycemic index of food. Lower glycemic index carbs enter your system slower and so you don't feel hungry/cravings again for a longer time so don't end up eating as much throughout the day.

vonnie99 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:23pm
post #29 of 37

I admire anyone that can quit snacking! I work in an office all day and the temptation to snack is constant. People bring in treats, or fundraisers - plus I am a recovering "bordomsnacker." I bring so much food into work so that if I have to snack - it is on a piece of friut, a Fiber One bar, yogurt or soemthing like that.
that is one major thing I got from WW - I never realized that I was eating out of bordom in the past. And as cheesy as it sounds - I do the mental check now "Am I really hungry or am I bored?" or the "Is the chocolate bar going to make me less angry at BLANK? Am I punishing Blank by eating all this ice cream? I know it is cheesy, but it makes me think before shoveling the food in.

michellenj Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:33pm
post #30 of 37

What do you guys think of having a weekly weight loss thread, instead of one monstrous long one? I can never keep up on the long ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%