Stacked Cake Question

Decorating By Letmebeurdesignr Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 5:11am by sugarMomma

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:10am
post #1 of 12

I am doing this stacked cake for my daughter. I was looking at this link on the whimsical cake and it shows that they iced the cakes before stacking and then put the fondant on them all individual...my question is how do you pick up the cake after it is iced and fondant to put it on top of the other cake? Is there a special way to do this or am i just overlooking something? Ive gotta do this tonight and need help ASAP.

Thanks

11 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:37am
post #2 of 12

Yes, you need to ice and put the fondant on each cake before stacking. Are you going to deliver? What kind of support are you using? How many tiers? If it is just two tiers you can stack and deliver. If it is more than two i would deliver and then stack. The last tiered cake i did, i did this way. I hate to take the chance of anything happening.

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:46am
post #3 of 12

Hi Rosita, Thank you for responding. The cake is a stack of 3. I am using cardboard cake plates for the bottom and then i will be putting the dowels down into the cakes. How do i get the cakes on top of each other once they are iced and put fondant on it...im scared if i just pick it up that it will fall apart while trying to put it on top of the other tier. This is my first stacked cake. Also, do i go ahead and put the very bottom tier on the cake board that I am using and then ice and put the fondant on there or do i put it on a separate board and then transport it to the other board? Im so confused. Husband said it should be ok w/the stack of 3 already stacked and transport that way but i am really worried about that to..told him i was gonna have to do it there but of course..oh no...not him..he thinks he knows it all...lol

rosita6882 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:08am
post #4 of 12

Ok
1. Ice your cake and get it as level as you can. Ice all three before you start with the fondant. When your finished icing all three, you can go back to the first if you want to smooth with the viva method or whichever you are comfortable with. Tip: Once you place the fondant on you cant really *fix* it any more as far as it looking lopsided. Once you are happy with it then it is time to cover the in fondant.

2. Roll out your fondant and place on the cake and trim as you normally do. By the way your cake should be on whatever it is you will be set up on. If you are putting just a cake circle inbetween layers try to use two cake circles glued together for extra support. Remember that if the cardboard is too thin the moisture from the cake will make it bend when you lift it. Do not place the cake without a cardboard or other support in between the layers otherwise whats the point of dowels.

3. Make sure all your dowels for each layer are the same size. Place one dowel into the cake and mark it. Remove it and cut all four or six or however many you are using the same size. This will ensure that once the cake is stacked it will look even.

4. If you really want to stack then go for it just make sure you use a center dowel all the way throuh all the layers. My advice would be to deliver and then stack. Just make sure to take your bags with icing and tips and do any last minute details there. I know that the first few times i needed to put them all together to make sure that it turned out the way i wanted it to but it is the worst feeling in the world to see it fall durnig delivery.

If you need further clarification on anything just let me know. Hope this helps and the best of luck with your cake.

rosita6882 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:13am
post #5 of 12

Just to clarify, you should cut the cardboard the size of the cake or slightly smaller. This will be for support. Without it, the weight of the top two might crush your bottom tier. Hope that made sense.

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:44am
post #6 of 12

ok so i go ahead and ice all the cakes and then put the fondant on them before i stack them...i go ahead and put the iced w/fondant cakes on the boards that will be separating the cakes. I thought i would be cutting a hole in the middle of the bottom cake and sliding the cake above it into the hole. (just going by what the whimsical cake instructions say). Or do i not need to do the hole and just put them one on top of the other but make sure there is an angle on each of the cakes. This is the website i am referring to when i say "the hole"

http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:52am
post #7 of 12

Could you clarify... are you making a whimsical / topsy-turvy cake, or just a plain stacked cake? The holes shown on the tutorial are there because the tops of each layer in a whimsical cake are at an angle, so you cut a hole to create a level surface for the next layer to rest on. For a normal, stacked cake, just level, ice and cover the tiers, dowel them and stack. No holes required. Hope this helps.

Heather

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 4:03am
post #8 of 12

i have never done a topsy turvy cake but i think you are over thinking it. cut your holes in the cakes to make a level surface for the next tear to sit on before you frost your cake. then make sure you have 4 or more dowels the same size (I make mine about 1/8 inch shorter than my cake). Add the second tear but make sure you have it on 1 perferably 2 cake boards glued together. do the same for the next tear.
Then once all is in place sharpen a long dowel with a pencil sharpener and drive it through all three layors into the board under the bottom tear. Also make sure you have a strong bottom board. I like to use foam board but if you dont have any use 4 cake boards taped together just make sure they corigating goes opposit direction or it could still bend. Ok I hope that helps. You are brave attempting a topsy turvy cake as your first staked. Hope all goes well and i am sure it will. When in daubt dowel, dowel, dowel. ...tha more support the better in my book

rosita6882 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 4:06am
post #9 of 12

Before you ice and cover place on the cardboard that you are going to use, cut your "hole", then ice and cover with fondant. For your next two tiers cut a cardboard smaller then the hole so that it fits in. Place the second tier on the cardboard, make your "hole", ice and cover. Do the same with to top tier. Cut your cardboard smaller than your hole and then place your top teir on it, ice and cover. Put your dowels in place and just set each tier into place and use a center dowel. You can pre make your hole in your cardboards so that the center dowel is pushed into it easier. I forgot that this was a whimsy cake but the idea is the same. Hope this helps.

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 4:16am
post #10 of 12

ok i appreciate all the help..i feel like a fool..i think i should have taken wilton course 3..lmao..ive taken all the others and was supposed to take course 3 but due to medical reasons i wasnt able to..ill post a pic as soon as its all done..i reallyyyyyy appreciate the help

rosita6882 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 4:23am
post #11 of 12

Good luck and good night. By the way i havn't ever taken a single cake decorating class in my life. I've learned from working in cake shops and through trial and error. You'll do great and be all the wiser and next time it will be you helping someone else. Good luck even though you don't need it.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:11am
post #12 of 12

I agree, I've learned far more from CC'ers than I have from Course 3.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%