My Cake Won't Fit In The Box....what Can I Do?

Decorating By JavaJunkieChrissy Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 12:37pm by JavaJunkieChrissy

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:02am
post #1 of 12

I'm doing a 12x18 sheet cake. I can't find a box that's big enough so I can deliver the cake. What else can I put the cake in. It's for a friend and she wants to pick them ( 2 cakes) up the day before the party and take them to the reciption area to put them in the fridge.

I'm stumpped and I need some advice. What do you do when you have a cake that large and you need to put it in a box.

I think I should add the cake will need to be in the fridge because of the ingredients... icon_cool.gif

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:09am
post #2 of 12

I will loosely wrap saran around it when I have that issue. If you can use the commercial saran wrap and not that crap they sell in the grocery store, it will work better for you.

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:22am
post #3 of 12

Well, unfortunately I only have the crap..... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

But, this cake will be decorated.......won't the "crap" stick...... tapedshut.gif

Oh, you know what I mean....... icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:40am
post #4 of 12

well....the grocery store kind might.

I pull out a big sheet of saran across the counter, then set my cake on top of it; then bring the ends of the saran up over the cake, leaving it loose and just getting the ends to connect and stick to each other.

If the icing has crusted well, it should be ok. Does your design allow you to insert some toothpics here and there to act as "tent poles" to hold the saran off of the design?

Next time you're at Sam's, get the big box of commercial wrap. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:52am
post #5 of 12

Could you maybe go to a local grocery store that makes cakes and ask if you could buy a large box?? They might be expensive but its a suggestion. Also if the fridge is large could you get one of those rubbermaid containers that are not very tall and stick the cakes in that?? Good Luck!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #6 of 12

Michaels has what you need. You may have to really look, but they are there. I have one in my pantry right now from there. Also, try looking for your nearest fellow home cake decorating supply, or even someone that is doing the same thing you are and find out if they either, have one they would sell you, or, have them for sale in their store.

How soon do you need it for??

If you don't have a proper box, you can do what I have done. Go to your local furniture store and ask if they have any lamp, or end table boxes not broken down. If they do ask if you can have one or two. You can cut the side down and cover the box in white butcher paper or craft paper. Make sure the sides are at least 3 and half inches or even 5 inches high. Then you can cover it in either celophane or saran wrap.

Walaa! Does that help?? thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:57am
post #7 of 12

I had the exact same problem for my 11 x 15's.

I was told to go buy 2 16" square boxes for each cake and cut and paste them to fit. It worked well but was really expensive. Hopefully you have time to get a cheaper alternative.

Good luck,

Jennifer

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:04am
post #8 of 12

Hobby lobby might have that size I always buy mine at a cake shop. If you can't find one and it is for a friend find a cardboard box cut it down to an inch taller than your cake then saran wrap the top. the only other thing I can think of is to buy a rubber made box to fit it HTH

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:06am
post #9 of 12

I slide two of my cake boxes together and fold the lids over top....Tape all the seams.

Tawana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tawana Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:15am
post #10 of 12

I purchase shipping boxes from Walmart for about the same price as a cake box. Works perfectly!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:19am
post #11 of 12

I get by boxes in those hard to find sizes at the ups store.

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 12

I know I can't use the saran wrap because my icing does not crust. I'm using IMBC icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm going to try to put two boxes together and see how that works. I was in at Michaels last night and asked one of the ladies there and she told me that they don't carry any larger boxes and we don't have a Hobby Lobby around here..at least that I know of.

I guess I could also get one of the Rubbermaid containers. We have a store that sells things like that inexpensively.

I will pick some of the Saran Wrap up at Sams Club next time I'm over there to give it a try.

I know that Giant would probably sell me two cake boxes.....I just hate to ask....LOL!!! They are right down the road...a simply solution icon_smile.gif

Thanks for helping everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%