Chocolate Mmf?

Decorating By boysmomintx Updated 28 Jul 2005 , 9:33pm by ntertayneme

boysmomintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boysmomintx Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 8

I am wondering if anyone has attempted to turn the marshmallow fondant into chocolate MMF? (chocolate covered santas are chocolate and marshmallow, right?)

I absolutely love the ease of making this fondant. I use it all the time. And the price compared to the store bought is just awesome! I am wondering if anyone has attempted to add cocoa or semisweet melts or something to the fondant to make it chocolate. I need chocolate fondant for a tooled leather cake coming up, and I am hoping to make my own. I did see a great recipe in the recipe section here. Just wondering if anyone had good luck with another one? I am looking for simple...aren't we all?

Thanks.
Jennifer

7 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 8

I have made it before by simply adding 1/2 c. cocoa powder (unsweetened) to the recipe. It gives it a good amount of flavor without changing the consistency of the recipe. However, it doesn't get very dark brown, so if you want it to be a deep brown, you would have to add color to it.

P.S. Forgot to add...I sifted the cocoa power with the powdered sugar before adding it to the marshmallows.

boysmomintx Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 8

so I just had the 1/2 cup and don't have to take anything out? I did add coloring to the marshmallows while wet in another mixture, and it came out the most beautiful shade of pink. I was very pleased. I will make a batch and try it out.

You should post this recipe. icon_smile.gif

THANKS.

Jennifer

Misdawn Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 8

Just add the cocoa powder, I suppose you could probably add more if you wanted more of a chocolaty flavor, but after 1/2 cup I would probably omit some of the powdered sugar so that you don't get too much powder and not enough liquid in your recipe. Just a suggestion...

boysmomintx Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 8

How chocolatey is your version? I have never had MMF, but I am doing a cake that is tooled leather, and they want it dark like a saddle. Your suggestion of the color added was wonderful. Just wondering if you think it's chocolatey enough or do you think it needs more??

Jennifer

Misdawn Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 8

1/2 cup was enough for me and my friends (cowboy boot birthday cake for a friend). But it wasn't a real strong chocolate because two of the guests don't like chocolate. It's just amatter of taste...start with 1/2 cocoa powder mixed with your powdered sugar right after you microwave the marshmallows, then as it cools you can taste it and decide if you should add more.

boysmomintx Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 8

I meant to say (earlier) I have never had CHOCOLATE fondant. Just MMF. I am getting ahead of myself.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS. icon_smile.gif

You're awesome (and inspiring)!
Jennifer

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 8

mmmmmm I'll have to try that Misdawn .. that sounds great ! thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%