Need Some Christmas Ideas (Fillings Too!!)

Decorating By jespooky Updated 21 Nov 2006 , 3:48am by jespooky

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 11

HI all!! I knew i could turn to you guys for this icon_biggrin.gif

I made a practice cake with scrolls, it's in my photos if you want to look.....i took it to work with me and it was GONE in 10 mins. Everyone was RAVING!!! I was so proud of myself, that my fellow nurses conned me into doing the christmas party cake!! I was ELATED at first and now i'm nervous as HECK!

I'm SO new to this, so i need something simple! I want to make one chocolate, and one yellow or white cake, with fillings. All buttercream since i have not the first clue on MMF or fondant. I've never done fillings either so i'm up for any ideas or you may have!!

Also, i see many people do royal icing snowflakes and they are so pretty!! How do you guys do it?? Thanks in advance!! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 11

for your chocolate cake maybe a dark chocolate ganache with peppermint buttercream. A white chocolate ganache is a good one for the white cake. Or maybe a fruit filling? Strawberry buttercream or something like that.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 11

The simplest fillings are jams and preserves. Strawberry or raspberry with either of the cakes you suggested. You could also use lemon curd. And there seems to be a curd for most citrus fruits. I've seen orange curd, I think, pineapple curd, lime curd. You could also use pie fillings. Whatever filling you use, make sure you dam the layers--fill a pastry bag with your frosting and place a ring around the cake and place your filling inside the ring. That'll keep your filling from oozing out into your frosting.

As far as cake flavors, mint chocolate would be good and holidayish. Add some mint extract to the cake mix and tint the frosting green. Or you could leave it white or make it red.
And I can't think of any other Christmas flavors at the moment, but there is the standard yellow cake with choclate icing, vanilla cake with vanilla icing, for chocoholics, chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Peanut butter and jelly cake--yellow cake with a jam or preserve filling and peanut butter icing.
The list is endless.

jespooky Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:14am
post #4 of 11

mmmmmm sounds good!! Thanks for the ideas!

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:19am
post #5 of 11

for royal icing snowflakes, someone on CC suggested buying those big window clings (stickers) at a craft store, putting wax paper over it and tracing it with the RI. I tried it with candy melts too. good luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:21am
post #6 of 11

Jespooky -

First, welcome to our forums!

Now, if you click on the forums tab at the top, it will bring you to the general forums index. Above there is the word "search".

click on that word. All the way to the left, put the words

royal icing snowflakes into the box

then click on the radio button that says something about searching by topic only.

You will see that there have been quite a few posts on the subject.

You will have to go through the list and read the suggestions until you find something that you feel comfortable doing.

Most important - have fun with it!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

patygpm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patygpm Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:24am
post #7 of 11

If you make a chocolate cake you can use the cookies and cream filling and for a white cake you can use a cream cheese with caramel and almond filling. If you want the recipes PM me or email me to [email protected] and I would be glad to send them to you!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:43am
post #8 of 11

I know I keep posting this, but it's my favorite so far!

Chocolate Cake

Filling:
Take you favorite buttercream recipe, pull out enough for filling. Mix in to taste (1/2 Cup-ish) raspberry, strawberry or CHERRY (my fave) preserves. Add 1/3 Cup finely chopped/shaved bittersweet chocolate.

Icing:
Anything works - plain buttercream, chocolate ganache, whipped ganache, chocolate whipped cream.

Another idea - Chai cake with chai buttercream - there are some recipes in the recipe section here.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:46am
post #9 of 11

Now, THAT filling sounds awesome! I wonder why I never saw it posted before?? Nevermind, I've already saved it!

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:46am
post #10 of 11

for the chocolate, i like the idea of a peppermint bc, just crush up peppermint really fine and put it in the bc.

jespooky Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:48am
post #11 of 11

all these ideas sound HEAVENLY!!!! I appreciate the help everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%