A Bad Saturday Morning (Really Long)

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 9:35am by sarahnichole975

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 20

Thought I'd share this with you guys, and hopefully give you a laugh. So I was somewhat excited for the weekend since I only had three cakes to do, and even though they were bigger cakes, most of the work had to be done ahead of time to set up. So I got to it, finished one cake reasonably early on Friday evening and got all the decs made for my cakes I was doing on Saturday. One of which was supposed to be picked up Sun morning originally, but she called on Friday asking if she could pick it up on Sat evening when I finished it, no problem. After all I had baked and made all the fondant decs for it, so it would be pretty quick.

So at 6 am on Saturday (which BTW let me now inform you we are NOT early risers in this household) I hear the bustle of busyness in the kitchen and think, "wow, he (DH) is making breakfast already." At that time I realize that no "he" is still in bed beside me and has noticed the same noises. He hops up to find our two year old quite busy. He has treated the water of my poor fishy who resides in the bowl in the window over my sink so that there is absolutely NO chlorine in his water. But he must have though he was hungry, because he now has the entire container of food resting at the bottom of his bowl. He also had a gotten out my stack of plastic shot glasses and had lined them up on one of the bar stools, filled with water. (My father in law asked if we had taken him to one of our group's parties or something.) So, my hubby fusses him, smaks his rear and places him in bed with me, goes back to empty the shot glasses and then returns back to bed and we all fall back to sleep. Then around 9am DH rolls outta bed as we hear the other two children getting up. He walks into the kitchen where I hear him call, "Nik...did you break your cross?" (referring to the fondant cross I had dryfor the top of the chrisetening cake to be picked up tonight.) What!?! I hop up only to find that Connor must have been hungry himself, because he has helped himself do the many of the decorations I had so proudly made the night before. (MMM cross on a stick!) I get upset, blurt out a few obscenities, and immediately get to work on a new cross since it has to dry to stand up on the cake. Hubby leaves for golf and I get ready to take the kids with me for mu daughter's weekly saturday dance lesson. And after at least 5 trips in and out of the house, we leave. I drop her off and run to Wal Mart to get some more heavy florist wire, which they are out of, so I get skewers and the skinniest sucker sticks they have. Pick up at dancing, drive thru for lunch, and head home. Lil man falls asleep on the way home....woooo whoooo.... I can get right to work....it's gonna be a great day. I go to bring in our lunch (I always unload the car then the sleeping baby), and as I open the door my first surprise is that the orange stray cat I've been kind enough to feed outside is INSIDE my house, and (OMG) he's SITTING ON MY CAREFULLY MADE AND REMADE FONDANT DECORATIONS! I drop lunch and begin to chase the beast out of my house (and he still has no idea how lucky he is I never caught him). At this point I begin to cry. I collect myself long enough to get the baby into bed, and then I crumble on the floor as I call DH on his phone on the back nine and tell him the whole horrible story.

Back to work. So I remake all the decorations. Including the poor smashed cross (which I'm sure will never dry), the moon for my baby shower cake (which is partially smashed with two perfect paw prints in it), and a pile of buttons. Luckily the cap for the christening cake was on a separate tray, because it HAS to be dry. And thank goodness I got the sucker sticks, because I use one through the entire cross to help it stand up. All in all the cakes turned out great. (I'll post them in my pics.) And I still fed poor Murray (the stray) who wouldn't come anywhere near me Saturday. He hasn't however tried to come back into the house. Probably thinks I'm completely insane after the chase. My little man wouldn't eat much of anything the rest of the day, and did end up with an upset tummy on Sat evening. Unsure whether the fondant/gumtex mix had anything to do with it, maybe just the quantity of it all. I have decided to lock all my decs away now, not just the finished cakes. And the household is at peace once again!

19 replies
bethbyington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethbyington Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 20

oh goodness! I hate that you had such a crazy day! You will laugh about it (eventually) I'm glad everything worked out in the end icon_smile.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 20

oh man.....I dont know what I would have done! Glad it all turned out alright..... if it makes you feel better I spent all day Saturday washing windows and curtains and such....fun fun!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 20

You had quite a day. Congratulations on getting the cakes done. The Gods were not working for you, most of the time. I am amazed you were able to get everything done. Good Job!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 20

Ah, the perils of a SAHB

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 20

I am so sorry your day was such a piece of dog doo-doo! If it makes you feel any better, my 5 yr old and her sister (who will be lucky to make it to 4 in a few weeks), decided that they should cut all their hair off when I was taking my 2 yr old up for a nap (DH was sitting only a few feet away from them when they decided to do it)!!!!

I was like you...freaking out and in tears at the same time!!! The huge glob of hair on the floor was more than I could bear! I feel like I now have three boys instead of just one.

sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 20

OMG msaur! That stinks. Why is it that dad doesn't seem to notice even the big things??? We use to laugh at the oldest two. They're only 13 mos apart and we'd swear they'd wait for me to run to the store and then for dad who would ALWAYS seem to doze off, then off to trouble they were. I can remember coming home to an overflowing BATHROOM (not sink, not tub, not toilet....all=bathroom) on more than one occasion. And once to a 3 yo who had put his foot through my picture window in the living room. Dad was at least nice enough to wrap a paper towel around it and duct tape it!!!!!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 20

What a nightmare! I'm sorry that happened to you, but it sounds like you got everything together after all.

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 20

Wow, the cakes turned out great! I'd be lucky to do three cakes like that on a good day, let alone the day from hell!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 20

The cakes did turn out wonderful!

I have to confess though I laughed a little at the story (a little insane laugh). I could not help but to think "oh look, it is every day of my life lately!"

I am sorry it happend to you but take a big breath and breathe a sigh of relief it is all behind you now.

luvincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvincake Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 20

For such a bad day, your cakes are beautiful. I should be so lucky.

Ann

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 20

Terrible day, you rebounded just fine. What is that saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." Glad everything came out great. I am sure this will be one you laugh at for along time.

I know what you mean about the cat being lucky, I always tell my kids the only reason they are alive is 'cause I was out of shape and they were good runners. I never spanked my kids, but if I'd a caught them I just may have.

PS: sweet husband, my honey would have just woke me up and let me know there was a mess!

sarahnichole975 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:31am
post #13 of 20

Thanks again guys! Yeah...it's totally laughable...I usually only stay POed for a lil while, cuz if I stay that way, I won't get things done. Glad to say that I've made ammends with Mr. Murray, the little stray outside...he has not however tried to come back in the house again....

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 20

I'm always terrified of something like that happening here!! Glad it all worked out!

The cakes look great too! Love the baby shower one!

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm
post #15 of 20

What a terrible day!!!!! My daughter tipped over a cake plate with a finished cake on it the other day. I wanted to scream!!!! Wouldn't it be nice to have your own khen locked away!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:00am
post #16 of 20

I just looked at your cakes and they are gorgeous! I would not be able to do that great a job in a whole year, never mind one day with all the mishaps!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:24am
post #17 of 20

What an ordeal! I have a three year old and a one year old that would just love to get their hands on things like that. That's also why I don't do cats.

sarahnichole975 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:29pm
post #18 of 20

Yes Misterc, It would. I want one soooo bad. We are exploring options, but none of them are immediate, and I want it NOW!!! Sorry to hear about your disaster. A finished cake is the worst disaster. You get all finished and proud and then..... icon_cry.gif At least mine wasn't that bad. Did you get to fix it? I can say that usually when a disaster happens, it's amazing how we can pull ourselves together and do what we can to fix it. I tried carring a small separated cake separated before....I know, I know...no no no no no no! But yeah, it flipped. I called DH because I had another delivery which was about 45 mins away. Got him baking for me. Told him to pop them immediately into freezer. Got home, checked cakes......the 8"cakes were still like pudding in the middle...IN MY FREEZER...so I had to bake again!!! I was standing with the cakes in front of the blower in the freezer trying to cool them. I had called the client and the party was for 4 so I told her I'd have it to her by 3:00...I dropped it off at 3:02...still don't know how!!! Luckily it was a pretty simple buttercream, but still. I was shaking the whole time. (Wow I kinda went on a tangent there!)

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:53pm
post #19 of 20

I totally understand the tangent!!! I did fix it but I wasn't really happy with the fixed product icon_cry.gif . It was for my 5 year old daughter's bday so atleast it wasn't for a paying customer. It is the castle cake in my gallery. A turret broke that I glued back together with royal and instead of trying to fix the BC I used a round tip and just did little blobs of BC all over the cake hoping it would like pink stones. Oh well. She loved it.

One day I will have a beautiful, professional kitchen which will be a kid free zone! icon_biggrin.gif

sarahnichole975 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 9:35am
post #20 of 20

Well here's to kid free zones then!!! (Takes sip of iced tea...wishing it was wine...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%