Fresh Flowers On A Cake...you Or The Florist?

Decorating By GeminiRJ Updated 21 Nov 2006 , 5:23am by whimsette

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 17

When there are to be fresh flowers on the cake, do you put them on, or do you have the florist put them on? I found out three days before the wedding that the bride decided to have fresh flowers between the tiers (before it was to be a fully stacked cake). I talked to the florist, and made sure we had a time set up to have the cake delivered and told her I did not want to be responsible for adding the flowers. I worried when I got to the hall and the florist had come and gone, but I remember the bride's mother saying the florist was going to make two trips. I kept my fingers crossed that she would be back, and left the cake. (My sister attended the wedding, and said that the cake had flowers and was beautiful.) Big sigh of relief!

16 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 17

I've never worked with any florist but my best friend, so, we kinda "collaborate" on things. But, since I'm not a florist, even though I do know how I want flowers to look on the cake, I think I would let them do it. Probably let them know to use flower picks, etc. I don't know, hard call....I'd probably be "freakin' out" afraid that someone would say "The cake decorator" didn't get the flowers on the cake! Now, remind me WHY do we love this? LOLL Just kidding!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 17

I have a wedding in June and I told them it was their choice. They could depend on the florist and not hold me to blame if the wrong flowers went on or if they did something to the cake in the process. Or pay a little more per serving and I would ensure they had the correct flowers on the correct way. I said it nicer than that though... They haven't made a decision yet. I don't think I would accept major changes like that 3 days before the wedding.

bethola Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I have a wedding in June and I told them it was their choice. They could depend on the florist and not hold me to blame if the wrong flowers went on or if they did something to the cake in the process. Or pay a little more per serving and I would ensure they had the correct flowers on the correct way. I said it nicer than that though... They haven't made a decision yet. I don't think I would accept major changes like that 3 days before the wedding.

3 days is a little late for me too! I have a standard contract that I use and changes aren't allowed within one month of the wedding (barring unforseen circumstances) because I "freak out" over weddings and one month in advance I have sometimes started making decorations and/or purchased embellishment items I need. I've never had anyone try it....BUT....one never knows! You are a very nice (and flexible) lady to allow them to do this.

Beth from KY

jamiet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiet Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 17

I put the flowers on the cake myself. I have the florist leave me an assortment of flowers and when I assemble the cake, I add the flowers. I'm too picky and want to be sure they are put on the way I like them.Placement of the flowers can " make or break" a cake. If the flowers don't look good everyone will assume that the cake decorator did them , I just feel better handling it myself. I have had the florist to create a topper and I can choose to use it as is or make any adjustments to it to fit the cake properly.

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 17

I put them on myself. If I were to let a florist do it, I would definately make sure that it is not my responsibility if anything happens to the cake upon the florist doing this. I get fresh flowers from a wholesale place, so I offer them a lot of times cheaper than an actual florist. Plus, this is extra money for me and I have it done the way I want it on a cake I made.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 17

It's nice to know how others feel about this. The bride's mother is a friend of my sister, so I gave her a very cheap rate. Plus, the groom is a marine, so I told them I'd do the groomscake for free. (I figured it was a way to show my appreciation for what he's doing for his country and me). The bride and groom weren't even in town until three days prior to the wedding, so that's why there were unanswered questions about the cake. Everyone knew I didn't want to do the flowers, so I didn't think they'd get mad at me if the florist didn't come thru. But for future cakes, I just wanted to know how others handle this situation.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 17

Both times I depended on the florist, I got Krap!. Fewer flowers than I was promised and no arrangements when they were promised.

I Had 4 large tiers that were supposed to all have 5 blossom rose arrangements, and the florist left me about 5 stems. Fortunately, I had lots of extra ribbon so I could fake something for the tops.

Now, I require the flowers to me before delivery of the cake. That way, if I don't get what I need, I can at least buy more and charge later.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 17

Ok, I'm going to get flamed once again, but here goes...

I'm not a florist and I don't expect the florist to be a cake decorator.

If people want fresh flowers on their cakes, I tell them to go someplace else.

I will NOT be responsible for fresh flowers on a cake unless they are organic SUGARED flowers and or petals.

I don't know WHAT chemicals are on the flowers or how they have been handled or where they came from.

I refuse to do them, I give them an alternative of Gumpaste or buttercream

If they insist on real flowers and me doing their cake... they can have the floral rings delivered to the florist and the florist can arrange the flowers in that or containers that I then will put ...
a piece of wax paper, cardboard and another piece of wax paper under the flower container.

But the florist will be responsible for bringing to the site or I will arrange to pick up for an extra fee!

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiet

I put the flowers on the cake myself. I have the florist leave me an assortment of flowers and when I assemble the cake, I add the flowers. I'm too picky and want to be sure they are put on the way I like them.Placement of the flowers can " make or break" a cake. If the flowers don't look good everyone will assume that the cake decorator did them , I just feel better handling it myself. I have had the florist to create a topper and I can choose to use it as is or make any adjustments to it to fit the cake properly.

jamiet has a good point, if the flowers look terrible and the florist supplied them, you'r ethe one who will look bad

bethola Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 12:19am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

It's nice to know how others feel about this. The bride's mother is a friend of my sister, so I gave her a very cheap rate. Plus, the groom is a marine, so I told them I'd do the groomscake for free. (I figured it was a way to show my appreciation for what he's doing for his country and me). The bride and groom weren't even in town until three days prior to the wedding, so that's why there were unanswered questions about the cake. Everyone knew I didn't want to do the flowers, so I didn't think they'd get mad at me if the florist didn't come thru. But for future cakes, I just wanted to know how others handle this situation.

THANK YOU for showing your appreciation to the groom: I know he appreciated that!

Beth from KY

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 1:32am
post #12 of 17

I put them on. I have a list of flowers I will not work with (because they're toxic to humans) that I give any bride/coordinator who wants fresh flowers. It's up to her to convey this to the florist and it's then up to the florist to get the flowers to me in a timely manner for set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

When there are to be fresh flowers on the cake, do you put them on, or do you have the florist put them on?

nadsquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadsquad Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 1:49am
post #13 of 17

Could you share your list of toxic flowers?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 1:57am
post #14 of 17

I make them sign off on the cake if they want fresh flowers. I also have strict rules about what flowers are useable and which are deadly. I always try to discourage them because of the health risks. As to putting them on the cake, I do it. I don't want some florist bumping my borders or smudging my perfectly iced cake. This is precisely why I'm a big fan of gumpaste flowers -- you can have as many fabulous creations on there without all the health risk!

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 2:41am
post #16 of 17

i let the florist do it, because i don't know much about flowers and they definately do. they know how to make them look good and place the heights etc. every experience i've had with the florist doing it has been fine (knock on wood). i just make sure i have contact with them, and meet them at the reception site. they can cover up my mistakes or unperfect looking spots. i live in a small town, so all the wedding industry peeps know each other and usually have good communication.

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 5:23am
post #17 of 17

My list of toxic flowers is below. This isn't a comprehensive list by any means but covers a lot of the common wedding-ish flowers.

African Violet
Amarylis
Anemone
Anthurium
Arum Lilies
Autumn Crocus
Azalea
Bird of Paradise
Bittersweet
Black-eyed Susan
Bleeding Heart
Bluebell