Not So Sweet Crusting Bc

Baking By ckkerber Updated 20 Nov 2006 , 6:29pm by ckkerber

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:56am
post #1 of 18

I need a good crusting buttercream. I know there are a bunch in the recipe files but I can't tell which might be what I'm looking for. I love the Whimsical Bakehouse NON-crusting House Buttercream but can never get it smooth enough. Even with the hot spatula, I end up with air bubbles that leave holes on the surface and I always leave drag marks from my spatula. So, I want a CRUSTING buttercream that is not so sugary sweet like a lot of them tend to be and that still tastes a bit "light and airy" despite the fact that it's crusting. Is this possible???

17 replies
Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:21am
post #2 of 18

I was wondering this myself.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 18

Bump.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 18

I use this sites "Buttercream Dream" recipe! It is my favorite. Since I do not like a tooo sweet icing, I even add a 1/2 tsp. popcorn salt to my 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar before I pour it in the mixer bowl. It will crust enough for you to use the Viva method or Melvira method with a roller in about 15 minutes!! Love it!!

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 18

buttercream dream is the best i have had so far!!! it tastes very much like the cream in the middle of oreos...very good with a nice choc cake to give you that cookie taste.

Caykes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caykes2 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 18

I use the crusting buttercream recipe with the Crisco ( I also only use the crisco sticks) but I use the Whimsical house buttercream directions where making it. It comes out very fluffly and smooth. I also add a pinch of salt. That cuts the sweetness.

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 18

I had a ? for the Buttercream Dream users can you use water instead of milk so it wont need refrigeration?

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 18

Yes, you can use water instead of milk or you can use a liquid coffee creamer for added flavor. International Coffee creamers are what I use.

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty01

I had a ? for the Buttercream Dream users can you use water instead of milk so it wont need refrigeration?

I always use water and it turns out fine.

I also use my KA to make it and use the whisk attachment instead of the paddle and it makes for a light and airy icing.

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 18

Is this stiff enough to use for a basketweave or flowers?

catscratchfever Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 18

the basketweave cake in my photos was done with buttercream dream. I don't add all the liquid it calls for though, I just add one tbs. at a time of water until it looks stiff.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 18

...but the buttercream dream is not light and airy, its a sweet bc...I dunno if there is one that is light and airy that crusts.
icon_wink.gif

catscratchfever Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:22pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

...but the buttercream dream is not light and airy, its a sweet bc...I dunno if there is one that is light and airy that crusts.
icon_wink.gif

Mine turns out light and airy....kinda like a whipped icing.

Wendoger Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 18

...so you make the bc dream, omit the milk and use water?

catscratchfever Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

...so you make the bc dream, omit the milk and use water?

yep, and use the whisk attachment on my KA to mix it.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 18

I made a batch of vanilla BC the other day that was the best I ever had. I used 3:1 butter/Crisco combo, creamed them together....added the vanilla extract...added 1/2 tsp. salt......added the sugar, a little at a time on speed 2 on the K.A. and when it was getting thick, I added a little heavy cream. It made it very smooth....then I added more and more sugar until it was the right consistency.

It was light and creamy...not sweet. I could not stop taste-testing! icon_biggrin.gif

BTW....even if you do use a milk product instead of water, it does not need refrigeration. The amount of sugar in ther acts as a natural preservative. I do refrigerate this until I need to use it but then the cake usually sits out for a day and a half until eaten....never an issue.

Wendoger Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 18

Ok, I'm gonna try the bc dream how you do it next time.

Adven68...can you spell that out better for me? Three to one meaning three parts butter, one part crisco?
(yes, I am a true blond)
icon_wink.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:29pm
post #18 of 18

adven68 . . . this sounds yummy. Does it crust well?

I have tried buttercream dream . . . I may have to try it again. It still seemed a bit sweet to me but it's worth another shot. I'll try it with water next time.

Caykes2 - I want to try your recipe, too. Can you explain a bit more how you use the Crisco recipe but use the Whimsical Bakehouse method?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%