? For Those Who Have A Legal Cake Decorating Business ...

Business By brownlg05 Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 1:36am by momsandraven

brownlg05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownlg05 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 8

Is it worth it??? Did you start your business "from scratch" so to speak, and if so, is it profitable, and worth all your time and efforts?
I just do decorating for fun right now, but often wonder about going into business some day. I have a lot to learn, and couldn't not afford to do it right now anyway, but I just wondered what other's experiences have been. If you have time to respond, please let me know about your business highlights or woe's.
Thank you!

Lorie

7 replies
missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 8

I just became legal in September. I also have alot to learn still, as I've only been decorating for four years. But from the outset people have wanted to pay me.

Personally, I do it as a strictly PT basis. I have a FT office job and do my baking/decorating on the evenings and weekends. I'm averagng 3 cakes a month right now, which works fine for me.

Thankfully, getting legal in my state is painfully simple; it cost me a total of $125 to register my business name and have my kitchen inspected.

Good luck on your decision!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 8

It depends on so many things.

Can you legally bake from home?

Florida does not allow home bakeries so in order ot have business, you have more expense

What are your skills?
How much time to you have to bake/decorate?

In order to support yourself, you have to sell a lOT of cake. Weddings are the most lucrative, and the most work.

You can't advertise until your business is legal.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 8

i definitely think it is worth it. i started from scratch, all buzi sfrom word of mouth. i think this is the best thing for my family, we have 3 kids so this allows me to make my own hours and be there for the kiddos

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 8

what are you calling "from scratch"? icon_confused.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 8

indydebi, 'from scratch' means 'the effect of itching' icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_twisted.gif Bwaaa-haa-haa! Sorry, I couldn't resist. icon_rolleyes.gif

Okay, back to the question- I feel like it is worth it for me. I started by doing a few cakes here and there for family, then for people I didn't really know, then moved to baking in a local sandwich shop, and now I have my own store. Don't be mistaken, there are MANY frustrating moments and hard lessons to learn. But, I truly love it and I don't think I would have it any other way. icon_smile.gif

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:09am
post #7 of 8

momsandraven,

can you elaborate on the frustrating moments and hard lessons you have learned? I am at crossroads.....either I get serious about starting a legal business or I don't.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:36am
post #8 of 8

frustrating moments I've encountered so far:
~ Took more orders than I could complete in a normal work week and had to stay until 2am on a Friday night, and return to finish at 6am Saturday, not seeing my 2 small kids at all on Friday

~Took an order for 200 decorated 'wedding cake' cookies and WAY underestimated the amount of time it would take to complete, thus drastically undercharging.

~Employees making the wrong size &/or flavor to fill an order

~Broken oven parts that take 4 days to replace (and I got lucky at that because DH could do the actual work, just had to get parts.)

~Employee forgot to put an order in the 'received' file to be processed, so customer showed up to pick up cake and it had never even been baked.

~General disorganization in the beginning

~Customers asking for fresh cake, and can they pick that up tomorrow morning? (Asked at 5pm)

None of these by themselves is a big deal (except the no cake order one! grr.... don't get me started...) it has all been a part of the learning curve though! Plus learning how to do payroll, file sales tax, paying monthly bills, customers who don't return plates & columns in a timely manner and you have to track them down, dealing with employees who show up late for work, then ask for more hours...

Then, there's the customers who walk in, amazed at what a beautiful little shop they've just discovered, and they go on and on about how much your town needed something like this, and you are SO proud, and thrilled to be filling such a cool niche! icon_smile.gif And the time they tell you that their Grandma cried when she saw her 75th birthday cake, that you created for her. And when your little girl looks up at you and tells you that she wants to grow up to be a baker, just like you. Those are definitely pluses that outweigh the bad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%