Fondant And Gumpaste ?'s

Decorating By nglez09 Updated 20 Nov 2006 , 10:08pm by superstar

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:50am
post #1 of 9

FONDANT

1. Which is the best-tasting fondant out there?
2. How does it taste?
3. How does it compare to MMF?

GUMPASTE

1. I've heard gumpaste is not edible. . .and I've heard it is. . .is it?
2. Is there any good-tasting gumpaste if there is edible gumpaste out there?

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:56am
post #2 of 9

I think Fondant taste is a personal choice. You are going ot have all kinds of answers on that one.

As far as gumpaste yes it is edible. There is nothing in it that is not edible, until you use it to make flowers that have wires in it. Then because of the wire you would not want anyone eating it. And in most cases people aren't going to eat it anyway because it gets very hard.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:00am
post #3 of 9

I like to use Wilton Fondant BUT I always flavor it with Lorann Tropical Punch Oil. The kids at church call it "Sister Beth's Bubble Gum Icing." I have made MMF and I like the taste, but, I need more practice to make a decision between it and Wilton.

RE: Gumpaste. It is my understanding that gumpaste is nontoxic, so IF you ate it, you wouldn't be poisoned. But, it doesn't taste good at all! Especially when it gets really hard...YUK!

nglez09 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:01am
post #4 of 9

Of course someone's answer won't be fact, but most of us agree that Wilton fondant tastes nasty and I'm wondering what other options of fondant are out there that are better-tasting or even good-tasting, au contraire Wilton's.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:14am
post #5 of 9

Gum paste is edible, but you wouldn't want to eat it. It's used for flower and detail work, dries very hard and brittle. Fondant, however is not as brittle (will also dry hard, but not as hard as the gum paste). I've tried a couple varieties - Satin Ice, love the texture and taste of this product, no complaints, but it is a little pricey. I've also recently gone through a couple tubs of Fondex - I find the consistancy much softer, and need to add a lot of powder sugar or hardening agent to get it stiff for making things with. But as far as covering cakes, very nice. Less expensive too. Try different kinds, and experiment!

nglez09 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:16am
post #6 of 9

How would you describe Satin Ice's taste?

nglez09 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:31am
post #7 of 9

And what's the cost?

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:41am
post #8 of 9

The last batch of Satin Ice I purchased, was a 20# tub, for $65.00. The FondX was $25 for a 10# tub. The taste is similar... not too sweet, not too chewy.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 9

Hi cakesbyallison,

Where do you purchase Fondx? I would like to try some.

Thanks in advance for your help.
June

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%