Poll For Class: How Many People Eat Fondant?

Decorating By adonisthegreek1 Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 10:26pm by torki

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 27

A question came up in my food safety class about fondant. One girl says it is only decorative and not to be eaten. She says you peel it off and eat the cake underneath. I totally disagree. I say the expensive, better tasting fondant like Satin Ice is definitely to be eaten. I would not eat Wilton fondant that I use to make figures, but the nicer fondant is definitely to be eaten. Do you eat fondant or decorate with it only?

26 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 27

I definitely eat it as long as it's not Wilton!! I love chocopan even when it's not on cake icon_lol.gif I have yet to try Satin Ice icon_biggrin.gif

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 27

Definitely decorate and eat it! I haven't tried Satin Ice or Chocopan, but I have tried Fondx which was pretty good. I have mainly been working with MMF and another homemade fondant recipe that I found on CC, and I'm really liking both of those, and the smell is yummy as well!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 27

The only fondant that I have seen anyone NOT eat is wilton, otherwise everyone eats at least half of the fondant on the cake (sometimes it is to sweet for people so they don't eat it all)

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 27

Fondant is so to be eaten. Is she saying it's not safe to eat? Why? It's made from completely edible stuff (like MMF-yumyum).

Next time, I'd ask her why the pros eat it. See what she has to say then. icon_biggrin.gif

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 27

I made Toba Garret's fondant recipe from this site this past weekend. I made NFSC's with lemon flavoring and flavored the fondant lemon as well. Then I decorated half the cookies with the fondant and half the cookies with a crusting buttercream. Like I said it was the first time making the fondant so I want opinions on which icing was the favored one. More than half the people that I had try the fondant and buttercream cookies like the fondant better. I love Toba's fondant recipe. It is easy to make, easy to store and the easiest I have made to work with.

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 27

The only fondant that I do not eat is Wilton. I use it to cover cakeboards sometimes, but the taste or the smell is not good at all. I always eat marshmallow fondant (love the taste) and everyone I know who tries it likes it also. I also like the taste of Satin Ice, but not as much as the homemade fondant.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 27

Bleccch! Love the decorating with it... But we don't like to eat it. Even the better recipe. People I serve at parties don't like it either.... alas. And if you peel it off cake looks a mess and most icing goes with it....

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 27

I hate to admit this but if I am really desperate for something sweet, I'll grab a little ball of fondant just to eat. (MMF or Satin ice, not Wilton)

adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 27

I forgot to thank everyone in advance for answering my poll. I do appreciate everyones input. I am going to keep my poll open until Monday so that I can print out the results and comments and take them to class. Thanks again for your participation.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 27

I did hear it's better on cookies.... I may try that... I think it's a texture thing with us. Toba's is definitely not as sweet as MMF and we liked it better.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 27

I do eat a little when its on a cake, but leave most behind just too sweet for me with all the rest. However if you leave that plate of fondant and crumbs in front of me for an hour while we chat, I will probably pick at it till its gone. I also eat bits while I'm working with it. So I guess I do eat it, just more as a snack food than a main course component! icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:18am
post #13 of 27

I love mmf, I love the way it smells and how it tastes. This may sound weird but I like it after it has been on the cake for a day or two and the outside is kind of hard but the inside is moist and soft from being against the buttercream, the two textures together are cool. But I also eat brown sugar by the spoonful though so I may not be the right person to ask dunce.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:45am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

But I also eat brown sugar by the spoonful though so I may not be the right person to ask

I love brown sugar too and will eat by spoonfuls but I also love it spread on hot buttered toast MMMMM

I love good fondant and I eat it! I was recently at a wedding and the fondant on the cake was fabulous. I have to try and find out what kind it was. I make my own fondant, MMF and I have purchased it (non-wilton) in the past.

I think you should slap that woman in the head with a big ole wad of fondant.[/list][/code]

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:13am
post #15 of 27

Depends on the type. If it's Rhonda's Ultimate MMF or Satin Ice then yes, love both.

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:19am
post #16 of 27

MMMMMMM......mmf, I just ate a bite of some I had for cookies. Yummy but only in small doses!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:20am
post #17 of 27

We'll eat any kind here as long as it's not Wilton. However, I recently made a fondant covered cake for my mom and she said: 'yuck, why is there fondant on it...that's supposed to be for decoration only.' This coming from a woman who took the classes years ago when that's all it was used for, decoration. Had to explain times have changed.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:24am
post #18 of 27

I really like the taste of chocolate fondant (white and brown) and I'll eat most other types but never Wilton..tastes bad.

I find that I only want to eat it in small amounts even though I like the taste.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:29am
post #19 of 27

She must be munching on Wilton. It even smells bad. I do use it for my 50/50 gumpaste/fondant because I got it really cheap at HL when they had the 40% sale. I love fondant. I do find myself peeling some of it off but I do the same with BC. Sugar overload!

Elle

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:41am
post #20 of 27

I don't eat any of it. I mean not on cake. I've tried several different kids, and have found that the majority of my clients don't eat any of it either. I personally just don't care for the texture of it with the cake. I just think it gets in the way of the cake melting in your mouth to have to chew on a piece of fondant. I love it for decorating, think the cakes are just amazing, but could care less for eating it. Just IMHO.

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:43am
post #21 of 27

I love cake with bc, but cookies with fondant.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:47am
post #22 of 27

I like fondant on cake - I always use MMF. I have never tried it on cookies but am thinking I must bake some cookies this weekend!

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:48am
post #23 of 27

So many people I talk to say they don't like fondant...at least until they have tried mine (I use Fondx or Satin Ice)! I have changed many peoples opinion of fondant because I use the good stuff! icon_smile.gif

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:49am
post #24 of 27

In Australia we have Bakels Pettinice and that tastes good.

I Love fondant and I need to eat in equal proportions cake / fondant.

My SIL just eats it on its own - she got cranky at me once 'coz I dumped some fondant that I used for support on a cake of hers 'coz she wanted to eat it. Mind you, she still had the cake left that had fondant on it.

if that Wilton stuff is so bad - have you tried putting a few drops of peppermint essence in the fondant - would that make it taste good?

How can you go wrong with sugar and glucose? Why does it taste so bad???

chococherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chococherry Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:53am
post #25 of 27

Personally, I don't like the taste, but my roommates and family eat it very happily - and quickly!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:33pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Fondant is so to be eaten. Is she saying it's not safe to eat? Why? It's made from completely edible stuff (like MMF-yumyum).

Next time, I'd ask her why the pros eat it. See what she has to say then. icon_biggrin.gif

I think she was just very naive about fondant. We were having a discussion about how all ready to eat food in Michigan can only be touched with gloved hands. She said that it didn't matter for fondant, because you just peel it of and no one eats it. I said people definitely eat the good stuff.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:26pm
post #27 of 27

I don't eat fondant ....or any other icings icon_eek.gif but my family, friends and customers love fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%