Don't Let The Crisco Label Fool You!! - A Fable :)

Decorating By DelightsByE Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 12:22am by jenlg

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 12:34am
post #91 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

at wally world today they had the 'great value' shortening in big tubs (5 lbs I think) and that one has 2.5% trans fat

Went to Wally this morning. Went through all the cans on the shelf and 3 of them had trans fat and yes, they were in the back. Bought all three.

Diane

craftermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftermom Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:55am
post #92 of 119

How long will shortening last before getting rancid? I bought 20 pounds of sweetex from a bakery recently - they put it in a big plastic bag -- I've kept it in the refrigerator so I'm hoping that it'll stay fresh for as long as it lasts.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:13pm
post #93 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftermom

How long will shortening last before getting rancid? I bought 20 pounds of sweetex from a bakery recently - they put it in a big plastic bag -- I've kept it in the refrigerator so I'm hoping that it'll stay fresh for as long as it lasts.

I'm not positive on that, but everything I've read suggests 6 to 8 months, sometimes up to a year. Probably longer if it's kept in the refrigerator. I think you will definitely be able to tell if it is. It will start to get slightly discolored, and have an odor to it. Since some people notice smells better than others, I think that's why no one can say for sure when their shortening started going bad. I can smell odors from way off, so I'd probably notice it before my husband, who can't seem to be able to smell anything unless it's a super strong smell and right under his nose, literally.

There is always taste. Put a little on your tongue. I know, it sounds gross putting shortening in your mouth, but it shouldn't have a taste. It should just feel greasy. If it tastes bad, you will definitely know. icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps, and if I'm wrong, someone please tell me. Maybe someone has scientific proof of how long you can keep shortening on a shelf, or in a fridge. icon_biggrin.gif If not, well, someone get on that. icon_wink.gif

Take care,

Holly

ktm00n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm00n Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:32pm
post #94 of 119

I understand that the getting rid of trans fats is governmental, but does anyone else find it the least bit funny that they are attempting to make solid fat "more healthy"?

Maybe it's just me...

P.S. check to see if the ingredients say "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" anything... if that's the case, it still has a small (less than .5 g per serving) amount of trans fats. I know it's not solving it, but it's a little better icon_sad.gif

DanielleHester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleHester Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:09pm
post #95 of 119

Thanks for the recipe Mencked. Sorry I'm late saying thank you.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:53pm
post #96 of 119

for the ppl in the southeast
publix label shortning still has transfat
I checked when I went to the store yesterday

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:46pm
post #97 of 119

I was at the grocery store the other day checking out the store brand shortning (which had 3gm trans fat) when I decided to go through the crisco sticks just to double check and it was my lucky day!! They had several packages of the old crisco and I was sooo excited! I too hate to measure out crisco but I will do it for a cake order. The store brands with trans fat have worked really well for me so far, but I am happy to have some of the old crisco on hand.

I did talk with the people at Crisco a while back and told them they have a lot of bakers upset with the change and the girl suggested people write in with their complaints. I also told her it would be nice if they offered both kinds of crisco so bakers could have a choice in what they wanted to use.

lionladydi Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:17pm
post #98 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellJ

I did talk with the people at Crisco a while back and told them they have a lot of bakers upset with the change and the girl suggested people write in with their complaints. I also told her it would be nice if they offered both kinds of crisco so bakers could have a choice in what they wanted to use.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-535383.html This thread tells about Crisco's "answer" to our problems.

Diane thumbsdown.gif

diamond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #99 of 119

instead of taking about how much you HATE!!! the new crisco.... then find another brand that is better then crisco!!!!!! the company is not going to change because you want them too!! no way that is not that american way icon_lol.gif and by the way there are over 100 diffrent kinds of stores you can go to.... wal mart, k mart, sams club, hills, piggy wiggly, bi lo, winn dixie, BJ's, Food lion, Food world, lowes foods, Pathmark, ect ect you get it thumbs_up.gif by the way crisco is not all that and a bag of chips with a lexus jeep and a soda on the side get over it.... =)

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #100 of 119

I'm trying to keep track of just exactly how many "anti-Crisco" threads there are these days, I'm up to 5 so far... icon_rolleyes.gif

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #101 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm trying to keep track of just exactly how many "anti-Crisco" threads there are these days, I'm up to 5 so far... icon_rolleyes.gif

I've been following 8 different ones.............

Diane

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:20am
post #102 of 119

I recounted -- I have 7 marked and this thread makes 8. Hmmmmm... icon_rolleyes.gif

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:39am
post #103 of 119
Quote:

I recounted -- I have 7 marked and this thread makes 8. Hmmmmm... icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, it's nice to know that many people besides me dislike the new Crisco and have not been able to "get over it" yet. I don't do many cakes but would be very tempted to try the Sam's icing if I did. Right now I am using the Great Value from Wal-Mart.

I think the major problem with many of the decorators is that Wilton instructors pound into your head that Crisco is the only shortening that will work in our buttercream icing. I was really quite shocked when I tried some store brands with good results.

Diane

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:38pm
post #104 of 119

You would think that Crisco would "take the hint"! I mean, sure, there's the Trans-Fat law they have to abide by, but come on already!! The new product is no good!! I'm half tempted to send copies of these threads to Crisco!

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:22pm
post #105 of 119
Quote:

You would think that Crisco would "take the hint"! I mean, sure, there's the Trans-Fat law they have to abide by, but come on already!! The new product is no good!! I'm half tempted to send copies of these threads to Crisco!

I think someone already did send the links to Crisco. Seems like I remember reading that in one of the threads a long time ago. They are not changing. Period. We are not allowed to pass "Go" not allowed to collect "$200". Just go straight to Trans fat free Crisco. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm
post #106 of 119

Phooey!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:37pm
post #107 of 119
Quote:

if you would please go back to my original post, this did not START as an "I hate Crisco" thread. It was a "Buyer Beware - Read The Label" threadl, mostly showcasing my stupidity in NOT doing so.

sheesh!

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:42pm
post #108 of 119

Sorry.........but it has been my experience on CC that most threads never end up like they started. If I spoiled your thread, please accept my apology. Sometimes I just don't get it. One time it is okay and the next time it is not. Guess it depends on who it is.

Diane

DelightsByE Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #109 of 119

Di - you didn't spoil my thread, and I don't really have a problem with threads going OT or taking turns, really I don't. But I detected a tone in someone else's post here that implied they were fed up with all the anti-crisco posts and that we should somehow just get over it. Perhaps I shouldn't have taken it to heart, but I did.

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:47pm
post #110 of 119

So, does that mean we can make this a "We love Brett Favre" thread to match your avatar, DelightsbyE? That would be yummy!

DelightsByE Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #111 of 119

Not THIS thread, maybe.....but perhaps a new one in the Lounge.... icon_cool.gif

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm
post #112 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

Di - you didn't spoil my thread, and I don't really have a problem with threads going OT or taking turns, really I don't. But I detected a tone in someone else's post here that implied they were fed up with all the anti-crisco posts and that we should somehow just get over it. Perhaps I shouldn't have taken it to heart, but I did.

I believe that would be the newbie, Diamond, that seemed to have the problem with us anti-trans fat free Crisco people. I figured I would "get over it" when I got ready to "get over it." I'm off of here. No more will be said by me on this thread.

Diane

DelightsByE Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:55pm
post #113 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakescraps

So, does that mean we can make this a "We love Brett Favre" thread to match your avatar, DelightsbyE? That would be yummy!

Here you go! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:03pm
post #114 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

I am sorry if you took my "tone" to be in the negative. Certainly tone is not conveyed via typing on a computer screen and thus it is easily misunderstood. My comment which you referred to in no way accused you of anything, particularly not "Crisco-bashing." I merely stated the fact that there are several "anti-Crisco" themed threads out there with many many many comments surrounding the dissatisfaction of the new product. I also am at a loss regarding the statement made "that [someone] is fed up with all the anti-Crisco posts" (I know that isn't me you are referring to because I'm not fed up with it -- I really couldn't care less -- I just find it interesting that in light of all the criticism Crisco has taken the stand they have) and that "we should somehow just get over it" [???] Yes, I do believe the comments were misunderstood and that is regrettable. I also believe they were taken to heart unnecessarily and for that I do apologize for any misunderstanding.

DelightsByE Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:06pm
post #115 of 119

Hey wonderbuns - I'm over it but want to just say, don't bash the thread for being an anti-crisco thread because it wasn't born that way icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

chef_ang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef_ang Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:19pm
post #116 of 119

I have used crisco and i do not like it to begin with before they did the "change" i was even told by my wilton instructor about years ago that crisco is the worst. I have the best of luck with an off brand shortening it gives a better flavor and does not get as hard at the crisco icing does!!!

DelightsByE Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:21pm
post #117 of 119

well don't hold out on us, what is the off-brand you use?? share!!!!! icon_lol.gif

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:29pm
post #118 of 119

i didnt know that they made sticks of crisco but i am glad that i do now. I also HATE mesuring the stuff!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #119 of 119

I still like the Aldi's brand myself. Have rarely used Crisco. Although the Crisco sticks do come in handy. Also weighing it instead of measuring cups is way easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%