How Do You Wrap Boards??

Decorating By Auryn Updated 19 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm by Auryn

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #1 of 6

Hi all
being as Im going to have some free time this weekend due to the boyfriend not being around.
Im gonna have a day of firsts.
My first fully fondant(ed) cake and my first stacked cake.

Ive read tons and tons on here and feel pretty confident.
My only question- how do I wrap the board that I will put between the two layers??

thanks

5 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:53am
post #2 of 6

You can wrap it in fanci foil or leave it unwrapped. I wrap mine in fanci foil but i have also done without. Never wrap with parchment(learned that the really hard way!!!!!)paper. Hope this helps.

Auryn Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:24am
post #3 of 6

can I wrap with regular foil?>

at least for now, since these are just gonna be family and friends cake.

Do I wrap the support board (between the top and bottom cakes) in foil too??

y no on the parchment paper?

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:37am
post #4 of 6

cling wrap or press n seal works good too.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:46am
post #5 of 6

Hi Auryn,
I don't wrap my boards that I put between layers, I use foamcore board cut to fit the upper cake and I wipe it with everclear. I like to use foam board because the edges are white not brown like cardboard edges. I place the board on the lower cake to make a slight imprint to get the area that I put my dowel rods and then if I am using buttercream I sprinkle a thin layer of coconut on to keep the board from sticking to the icing when I lift off the upper tier. I don't use coconut if the cake is covered in fondant. I also let the customer know that I use coconut between layers. Most of the time they are fine with it, occasionally I have them request that I use something else then I just use a light layer of powdwerd sugar on the crusted buttercream.
I hope this helps you in some small way, you will get lots of different opinions, there is really no right or wrong way, it's what you become comfortable with that helps you make a successful cake.
Have fun this weekend! thumbs_up.gif
Jibbies

Auryn Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks all
Im picking out recipes for this weekend- ill let you know how it goes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%