Airbrush Question

Decorating By deetmar Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 6:44pm by Briarview

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:46am
post #1 of 13

I have been reading everything I can find on this website about airbrushing. My wonderful husband bought one for me and surprised me today. icon_biggrin.gif

I have ordered the colors which should be here in a couple of days. How do I find out how to mix the colors?

I plan on practicing on coloring sheets like suggested. I really would like to know what it is that I need to know to get started.

I am really sorry if someone else asked this some place else. I have done a search on airbrushing but still have questions. I have also read on the "How to Airbrush" web-site, but it doesn't pertain to cakes.

I would appreciate any information, or if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

12 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:57am
post #2 of 13

As far as mixing colors i would buy them in the color you want already. You just need to practice untill you get the hang of it. Its all about the pressure. Try to use the airbrush colors and not the gel colors waterd down. This prevents clogging. Hope this helps.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:13am
post #3 of 13

I just keep adding colors to get the color I need. So I'm saying trial and error

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:30am
post #4 of 13

Hiya Deet n welcome to c.c.
To answer your question about mixing airbrush colors, they come premixed. All you have to do is to put them in the cup and spray away. As for special colors, do you have any specific ones in mind? Lime green? Navy blue? etc.
As for techniques, you can use the techniques they use for regular airbrushing on cakes, the only difference is what you are painting on. Masking you would cut out your shape from cardboard and lay it on the dry crusted buttercream or fondant (have to let each paint layer dry inbetween or you'll get smears). Heck, I've even seen Duff use painters tape on his fondant cakes to mask off areas he doesn't want colored.
But you'll find that the best teacher is experience. No amount of tutorials or explanations will teach you the particulars of your airbrush. Practice on pieces of typing or computer paper for line thickness or experimenting with color blends.
If you have any more questions let me know hun. I will be glad to help in any way that I can.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:33am
post #5 of 13

When I can, I use the colors as is. When I need to mix, I just do it in the color cup but then you get kind of a range of mixtures - for example 30/70, 50/50, 70/30 mixture of the 2 colors. It's OK for small areas, but not really ideal for large ones. You can also change your colors by layering them on the cake. Always use the lighter ones first, then spray the darker one very lightly on top. Like for orange you would spray yellow first then red. This takes some practice. Good luck to you!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:30am
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the responses. My colors came today so I see what you mean that you don't have to mix them.

I seem to use a lot of black, so hopefully I won't have to fight with the fondant.

Does anybody know how to make "gold" color for airbrushing?

I am so excited to start spraying.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:41am
post #7 of 13

For gold, mix gold luster dust with vodka, just make sure you clean your airbrush really well when you're through or it will dry in there and clog.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:58am
post #8 of 13

How good you can airbrush on a cake really does depend on how well you learn to airbrush at the beginning. The airbrush site has all the basic info to teach you how to control the brush. If you start on cake- then you are trying to learn the control push-down/pull back/how far to hold it/how to stop smooth/how to start all at once-while trying not to blow a hole in your icing. If you follow those basic how-to techniques, then you have enough control to know what your brush can and can't do, and when it isn't working right. I've seen ppl that have airbrushed on cakes for years, and never realized that their brush was screwed up, because they didn't learn basic airbrush techniques. Airbrushing looks easy- but honestly it is not just off and on and spray-

You can also mix luster dust with Everclear or grain alcohol(if it's legal in your neck of the woods) I think everclear seems to dry shinier than vodka. But both work great.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:21am
post #9 of 13

You can buy a airbrush liquid with the gold lustre dust in it....saves your airbrush from being clogged icon_biggrin.gif

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 4:52am
post #10 of 13

I am wanting to use lustre dust with alcohol and was wondering what ratio you use. I have an airbrush with the bottle underneath so I can mix quite a bit at once. I did try gin (37percent) but it made my flowers sticky so am not impressed. The best is the isopropyl alcohol which dries very fast. Also I advise the customers not to eat the painted pieces.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:44am
post #11 of 13

Hey Briarview if you can get a hold of Everclear (150 proof I think) grain alcohol it works best

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:16am
post #12 of 13

Hubby got me everything I needed for airbrushing and it is all about practicing! I played around just on sheets of paper first for designs, directions, etc. You can google airbrushing and a ton of sites will come up as to techniques. I have some videos that worked for me as far as techniques so I don't get bad habits which is the #1 problem with people. So many books out too. I think a cake that is all airbrushed doesn't look great, so you will find you will still use different methods including airbrushing. But most of all, have fun. More importantly, clean it well.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all for your help and advice. Looks as though it' practice practice practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%