32 replies
Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Looks like cake balls (including the baked variety) are going mainstream:

http://www.recipezaar.com/57716

(But they don't know about the flavored creamers, yet!)

Hey,

That's my recipe icon_lol.gif

icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:19am
post #3 of 33

It was inevitable.....today CC, tomorrow the world!! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingpraises

It was inevitable.....today CC, tomorrow the world!! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but icingpraises...I burst out laughing everytime I see your avatar! That is soooo cute!!! icon_lol.gif [/b]

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 33

i have yet to make these, I need to try them. I have been seeing them in the catalogs that are coming in mail for the christmas. Swiss Colony calls them cake truffles.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 33

Luby...
I think I will make yours this year for Christmas! The red velvet ones sound good and festive!
icon_wink.gif

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 33

I made a couple batches yesterday for the first time!

Dark chocolate cake, chopped peanut butter chips, evaporated milk for the binder and dipped in dark chocolate melts and peanut butter melts. YUM!

The other batch was dark chocolate cake, chopped macadamia nuts, Irish Cream flavored liquid creamer and dipped in Irish Cream melts and white chocolate melts! YUM too!

icon_biggrin.gif

Wendoger Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 33

...ya just cant go wrong with any combination, huh?
Everyone I've heard of sounds soooo good!!!!!!
icon_wink.gif

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 33

I did some last weekend with the scraps left over from a vanilla spice wedding cake. Just mixed the scraps with a bit of the buttercream icing, then packed them into a tiny funnel. They came out looking like fat little Christmas trees, so I dipped them in white chocolate and drizzled with red and green. Voila! Christmas Treets! People literally swooned when they ate them.

Luby Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingpraises

I guess I'll just have to endure the fame and fortune!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Luby Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

Luby...
I think I will make yours this year for Christmas! The red velvet ones sound good and festive!
icon_wink.gif

Oh gosh - now I'm nervous! I hope they don't give you any problems.

Wendoger Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 33

...lol...yeah Luby, I will come pounding your door down if they turn out like pooh...lol....they will be fabulous!
icon_wink.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 33

So if I make them today will they be okay for Thursday? Or should I make and freeze them and wait to dip them until Wednesday Night?

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 33

I made my first batch the other day, frozen, dipped, froze again. I took them out and they softened up nicely the chocolate didn't melt back off but softened nicely as well. Everyone loved them, hubby's boss asked if they had liquer in them so I'm being hinted that he'd like some with (spelling off big time) Gran...monya.... yeah lmao but it's expencive so I think I'll visit him and borrow some out of his bottle lmao. Anyway I've taken photos and plan to do a tutorial but haven't yet, maybe tonight lol. icon_biggrin.gif Just another reason to make more cake balls icon_biggrin.gif

Ksue Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #15 of 33

OhMyGoodies -- DEFINITELY visit the boss and borrow his Grand Marnier liquer if he's asking for cake balls flavored with same icon_wink.gif You could start a whole new sideline -- flavoring peoples' cakeballs orders with their own favorite liquer!!!

My hubby's boss's favorite is Chambord ... oh my. His birthday is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'm afraid I just figured out what I have to do for boss's birthday. Yikes! I don't think I can get over there to steal his Chambord supply in the meantime. Darn it!

slingmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slingmama Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 33

i can't wait to make these...yummy!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 9:25am
post #17 of 33

Sorry no one cared for any of the other recipes icon_sad.gif

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 10:47am
post #18 of 33

The recipe in "realcajunrecipes" calls for ..."GULF WAX"....what on earth is that icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Denise

Ksue Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:18pm
post #19 of 33

Gulf Wax is the paraffin you buy to melt on top of jams and jellies. Why in the world they think they have to add that to chocolate chips (as if they wouldn't harden back up at room temperature after dipping the cake balls) is beyond me! Yuck!

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 33

ksue
Gulf Wax does the same as Crisco. It smoothes the choc for dipping.

Ksue Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:58pm
post #21 of 33

Thanks for the heads-up, I hadn't thought of that -- and still -- yuck! icon_wink.gif

I know there's wax in a fair number of manufactured foods that we eat, but the thought of intentionally melting a block of that paraffin into some perfectly good chocolate chips, just gives me the willies. After all, we peel that stuff off the top of a jelly jar and throw it away!

I also realize that chocolate chips have something added to them to PREVENT them from melting smoothly, so they can hold their shape in the famous TollHouse cookies ... but still, yuck icon_wink.gif

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 2:03pm
post #22 of 33

I made some the other day (my second time) and they came out so good! I had a chocolate tier that broke on me so...cake balls! I mixed a little coconut buttercream with the cake and added coconut and almonds. I dipped them in chocolate and some I rolled in powdered sugar. Soo good! I have a red velvet cake to do and I think I will try those as cake balls.

JanH Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:35pm
post #23 of 33

The gulf wax is used in quite a variety of applications; candy, canning, vegetables:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blhelp8.htm

It's edible and harmless, as opposed to say non-toxic like the decorating dusts and chalks.....

Here's another cake ball recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2099-1-Cake-Balls.html

PGray315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PGray315 Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 9:57pm
post #24 of 33

Jan H... You always put so many great links in your posts! Thanks! BTW, I like your signature....from "The Desiderata", right? ( hope I spelled that right icon_confused.gif )

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 10:06pm
post #25 of 33

We use to use gulf wax all the time in making candy when I was little. It gives it a firmer texture and nice shiney look. We do eat it everyday and maybe don't even know it.

I did some cake balls for my moms birthday. I did chocolate cake crumbles with a little caramel praline liquid creamer and dipped in chocolate. Everyone LOVED them.

JanH Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 10:16pm
post #26 of 33

PGray315,

Yes, it's from the Desiderata:

http://www.sfheart.com/desiderata.html

Glad you like the links icon_smile.gif

(I'm on the computer way too much icon_rolleyes.gif ROFLMAO)

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 11:54pm
post #27 of 33

The chocolate one with the peanutbutter chips and the evaporated milk sounds so yummy. Would you have to keep it refrigerated?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 12:57am
post #28 of 33

That does sound good. I did some with peanut butter and the little peanuts like you put on an ice cream sundae mixed with chocolate cake and they tasted like chocolate peanut butter fudge....YUMMY!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 1:32am
post #29 of 33

patticakesnc those sound really good. Couldn't you use chunky peanut butter?? Or did you put the peanuts on the outside?? And I would also like to know if the ones with evaporated milk would need refridgerated?

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 1:34am
post #30 of 33

Well... it looks like the rest of cyberspace has finally figured out something we've all known for ages!
At lease we can all say ''we did it first!"

ciao

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%