Ordering Form Canadian Sources?

Decorating By Janzcakes Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 10:37pm by Jasra

Janzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janzcakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 12:04am
post #1 of 29

Hello any fellow Canadians out there! I'm from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. I am wanting to order some of the SPS (single plate system) stuff but would really prefer first to try ordering from a Canadian source. I am out of luck in my city so I am now asking where you all are ordering some things you need for cake decorating? I know about Sugarcraft and Cakedeco etc but they it just seems it would be easier to order in from the same country, just a thought! I have tried getting in touch with Goldas and one other one but they do not have what I'm looking for. They just suggest the scalloped separator plates and hidden pillars. I know you can use those but I'd much prefer getting the round plates and columns (sps). Any help or advice you can give me with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

28 replies
jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:40am
post #2 of 29

I was wondering the same thing! I ordered stuff from the US and I had to pay duty and taxes on top of the price! I either have to find a Cdn place or wait until my bf goes back to the states to hockey!
I know of a place in Richmond Hill (near Toronto) called creative cutters...www.creativecutters.com
but it's pretty expensive (depending on what you are looking for) ie. impression mats are like 50 dollars!
Hope this helps!

Janzcakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 2:15am
post #3 of 29

I actually tried ordering some stuff first from Sugarcraft board. I really like that board and they are reputable and all that but you're right we are charged $ on top of $ etc and in the end, they still say you may be charged an additional amount! After I placed my order, they sent me an email asking for all kinds of info like a faxed copy of my credit card front and back and a copy of a visa statement top. My husband said no way for privacy issues. Not sure why they don't just contact the credit card company for verification. I know I am new and never ordered from them but I just felt like it was a really big deal to get stuff. I have excellent credit so it was not my problem at all. Very frustrating. I will continue to look for another place to order from for now. I have nothing against them, just that they make it real difficult to order, especially when you're not from the US. Maybe other online places are the same, not sure.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:49am
post #4 of 29

Not sure if www.goldaskitchen.com will have what you want or you could try McCalls which has an online store and it is in Toronto. I often E-mail Golda's if I can't find what I want and they are good to get right back to you by e-mail. Shipping tends to be a bit expensive if you are far away though. There used to be a good site in Nova Scotia but I am not sure they are still in business, I will try to find the name for you.
Yes it is tough being a Canuck and seeing all of these fabulous things and paying the exchange and the shipping and handling and then getting hit with custom's duties on top, geesh. Yes many folks have complained about Sugarcraft's policy with Canucks.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Janzcakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:16am
post #5 of 29

Thanks for your reply SquirellyCakes. I have contacted both the ones you mentioned. They don't seem to have what I'm looking for but I will keep them in mind for future. Any other info would be appreciated. I have a friend/fellow cake decorator/mentor in Ottawa that is looking into getting me some stuff and shipping it to me herself. I just find it very frustrating that we don't seem to be quite up to date on everything here! thumbsdown.gif Most people I mentioned to about the SC policy and all the info they requested were shocked and hoped I hadn't sent anything. My local cake decorating shops here barely know any of the new things I seem to learn and pick up off these wonderful boards! Maybe I should open up my own cake decorating supply shop here!! icon_smile.gif Thanks!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:40am
post #6 of 29

Yes, it has been an issue for several folks.
Well, I can no longer find the site in Nova Scotia, so I suspect they have gone under.
Actually, doesn't matter where you are in Canada, it is hard to get your hands on the latest products unless you order from the U.S.
ww.creativecutters.com is in Canada, but they don't have the separator plates you are looking for, the single with pillars.
Kiddiekakes is in Calgary and she orders boxes and such from www.papermart.com in California because it is actually cheaper for her to have them shipped from there then from Toronto.
I shop at Bulk Barn for a lot of Wilton things and boards and such, but I don't believe you have one there. We also have stores called Party Mart that sell Wilton items. Some restaurant or kitchen supply stores have some items you may need.
Kiddiekakes knows of some good suppliers that sell on E-bay but her computer is down at the moment. She is also on www.r-bdesigns.com normally and I am sure when she gets a new computer she will be able to offer some more suggestions.
I am not sure what www.earlenescakes.com has for a policy when dealing with Canucks. But again, you would be dealing with Customs and the dollar exchange and shipping.
Heehee, if you start a business, we could line up customers galore!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 29

Also, there is a store in Toronto called World of Cake Decorating. They have great products for reasonable prices, but I'm not sure if they ship as I have only gone there to buy things! I agree with you Janzcakes about opening up a busniess here in Canada...I say we do it together and I will run this end of the country and you can do that end! haha

SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogga

Also, there is a store in Toronto called World of Cake Decorating. They have great products for reasonable prices, but I'm not sure if they ship as I have only gone there to buy things! I agree with you Janzcakes about opening up a busniess here in Canada...I say we do it together and I will run this end of the country and you can do that end! haha

Haha, only trouble is, it is hard to make a profit when you keep buying up all of your own stock, haha! Hhmn, you are in Barrie? Guess you will be selling Snowcone machines too! Hey, if we can ever find a way of making money from snow, we would be rich!
Hugs Squirrelly in Ottawa

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogga

I've seen that store before, but must admit, it didn't look very appealing from the outside. However, it was closed when I passed it, so I may go back some time. Can you tell me what stuff they have??

Thanks.
Purple Petunia icon_smile.gif

Janzcakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 29

Just came from Michaels and they don't even carry plastic dowels, just wooden ones! No hidden pillars either. Aghhhh! icon_mad.gif It should not be this hard to find something most people in the US can go into a store to get. I know I'm on a rant here, bare with me fellow cake friends! If I had extra $$ I would love to open up a cake supply store and ship to all my Canadian friends. Winnipeg is kinda centrally located too within the main provinces, it could work. Evelyns Cake decorating store here in Winnipeg has been around a long time. They have some stuff and order some stuff but they seem very limited. The classes are somewhat outdated now as well, older themes etc. I actually called them to see if they could order the Bakerycrafts sps in for me and they said they just order in Wilton stuff. Whatever. tapedshut.gif

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 29

Do you have to pay that much extra if you get from EBAY? If it's from an auction do you have to pay duty tax? There are so many EBAY cake decorating items that are brand new.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:35am
post #12 of 29

World Of Cake Decorating has just about everything you could ask for. They just got in some pretty cool impression mats and they are sooo cheap! I bought a wood grain one for less than $6 CDN. It 's the size of a piece of letter paper however it will do the trick for smaller work. I have also bought hi-ratio shortening there which I have not been able to find anywhere else. And yes, it does make a difference in your icing.

It's worth a look to see what they have. It's not a big store but they have a tonne of stuff packed in there.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 5:14am
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcake

Do you have to pay that much extra if you get from EBAY? If it's from an auction do you have to pay duty tax? There are so many EBAY cake decorating items that are brand new.

Oh heavens we get nailed on E-bay. I don't mean to offend my American buddies, but most of the better E-bay cake supply dealers are in the U.S. and I can tell you from personal experience, you have to be really careful. Some folks that deal on E-bay are lacking scruples, not just American folks either, I have had some bad experiences with a couple of Canadians. Anyway, what happens is this. Prices and payments are usually in U.S. dollars. So, our government keeps our dollar at a low value to encourage trade with other countries. So we get nailed on the currency rates to begin with. Then the costs of mailing things to Canada is awful. So you get dealers that absolutely bump up the already high mailing rates. Then they charge higher fees to handle and package. Then, the worst of it, is this. They cannot get it straight that when they write down the value for Custom's purposes, this is the price of your bid. Instead they place the insured value. Well, usually the minimum insured value is $100. So say you bought something for U.S.D.$25. The E-bay seller insures it for $100 and puts the insured value instead of the correct bid price as the Custom's value. We are charge 15% tax on the Custom's value, converted to Canadian dollars. So USD 100 now becomes Canadian 140 and you pay $21 dollars Custom's taxes. You bought the item for $25, they charge you $35 to mail it and now an additional $21 for taxes.
Well, now you get the picture. It is just awful. I have stopped buying on E-bay for that reason. Also because often though they charge you to ship a fragile item well packed and by airmail which costs a lot more and sometimes you pay them extra to have it sent faster, many items come by letter, in an envelope, broken.
Heehee, can you tell that is a pet peeve.
Anyway, I know Kiddiekakes can recommend some honest E-bay dealers and once she gets a new computer, I will ask her to list some.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

dragonfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonfly Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:16am
post #14 of 29

I have the same problem guys. I live in Shilo, MB. Just outside Brandon and I can't get cake decorating stuff easy. The one store that does sell it, never has anything in stock and when I asked them to order in something for me they said yes and took my name and number and never called me. I wasnt pleased. I have ordered from Golda's and recieved product within 2 days. So I would order from them again.

Janzcakes Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:27am
post #15 of 29

Hey! another Manitoban!!! Nice to hear from you! So, Goldas is not too bad then eh? I am trying to get my boss to order me some stuff right now. I cake decorate for DQ so he can order Bakerycrafts stuff which is what I want right now. I'll let you know if I hear of any other places good for us to order!

dragonfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonfly Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 3:02am
post #16 of 29

that would be great! Yah I just moved from winnipeg last summer to shilo. Hubby is PPCLI

SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 3:58am
post #17 of 29

Golda's is great to order from and they let you know if something will be delayed too. I have been really happy dealing with them. Sometimes the shipping gets expensive though, but that is true with anywhere else. That is Canada Post, not Golda's fault.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 5:09am
post #18 of 29

party.gif Hey, Congratulations Squirrelly!!! party.gif

I just noticed you became a 'Forum Fanatic' (1000 posts)!!!

That's why we learn so much from you!!

Purple icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 5:41am
post #19 of 29

Heehee, well thank you, but does it not also mean that I talk too much? Now if there was a category for longest posts in the history of Cake Central, I would be a winner, haha!
I shall abbreviate my posts.
Shut up Squirrelly, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 11:32pm
post #20 of 29

K I'm reviving an ancient post here- but I didnt know about CC A year ago when this thread was started LOL-
I am getting SO frustrated with all the American online suppliers that either A) Do not ship to Canada, B) require a credit card period or for international shipping, or C) well there is no C-
I can get CERTAIN things at my local hobby store (she has a Wilton catalog), but say for instance I'd like to start stocking up on things like LorAnn oils, flavorings, stuff that Michaels and my hobby store dont carry, and I CANT icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
Is this a conspiracy against CAnadians to say we're not allowed to join the regular world of cake decorating? GOD I'm SO IRRITATED icon_eek.gif

Paypal I can understand some stores not going for because maybe it's hard to set up? I have no clue, maybe it's easy and they're just a bunch of %$$%&^Y$ TARDS LOL, but postal money orders? THAT's fRIGGIN NORMAL - I send postal orders in US currency to American companies all the time for other things like clothing and what not. GET WITH THE PROGRAM PEOPLE (cake suppliers)- (and then I find a few suppliers who dont even mention their methods of payment at all so you spend an hour browsing every page on their site and have to email them to ask.

Sorry for the rant!!! icon_evil.gif
Any fellow Canucks who have feedback on CAnadian online suppliers for things like flavorings and non-wilton stuff that don't require a credit card to order, please feel free to post where you shop from. (As you can tell I don't live in some booming huge metropolis and the cost to make the trip to VAncouver just for stocking up on supplies, well if I'm going anyway to visit family/friends, fine, but colour paste and what not tend to run out when you use them and what am I supposed to do, buy 300 dollars worth of flavouring and colour paste once a year when I'm in the city? GRRR)

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 5:28am
post #21 of 29

You can try a supplier I'm using, www.klarajohnsons.com I think she carries lots of cake supplies?

Incidentally, her sugar flowers are unbelievable! This is the second time I have used her for flowers and the quality is excellent. I just don't have the time or patience to produce my own! icon_rolleyes.gif

She's amazingly nice and accomodating. Her site shows photos of store (displays, etc.) I have never actually been there, but she's in Cambridge near Ancaster/Hamilton Ontario.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 6:05am
post #22 of 29

Hi oceanspitfire!!!

I used to live in Kitchener, Ontario, next to Cambridge, and have been to Klara's a few times. She's super nice (even rang up my products!) and has quite a few "specialty" items. I've purchased everything from Lorann oils, gum tragacanth to boxes, ready-made fondant and cakeboards. I'm sure for the smaller items it would be okay to ship.

You say you're near Vancouver? My cousin told me about this place.

http://www.scoop-n-save.com/

It's in Langley, B.C. I have not been there yet, but they do look like they carry a good selection of products, including CK, luster/petal dusts and they rent out all sorts of cake pans including character/3D shaped and the more traditional shaped wedding cake pans.

HTH!
Mirjana

seacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seacakes Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 6:22am
post #23 of 29

I just want to add that Scoop N Save in Langley, B.C. is an awesome place for supplies in Canada...they are very reasonable and have a huge selection of anything you could ever dream about...and they are constantly adding new inventory every day...you can always email them and see if they have an item you are looking for and if they do, get them to ship it....they ship by the bus and/or post office....they are usually very fast responders....there is no other store like it in B.C....just thought I would throw my two cents in...hope this helps but definately check out their web site.....www.scoopnsave.com....cheers

oceanspitfire Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:25pm
post #24 of 29

THanks all for the listings - I'm off to work now so I can't check out klaras website til later-but from a glance it doesnt look like you can even order online from them
Scoop and save I know about, I used to shop there all the time when I lived in Van, when they were out in Surrey-
They are a great store! My dilemna which got me so ranting in the first place is that I dont shop with a credit card- and they are one of the places that only accept credit card for email/phone ordering.

So I'm back to square one and my frustration continues.... icon_cry.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:06pm
post #25 of 29

I hear yah..I like to shop with Paypal only as I don't do credit cards either.....Many sites don't take Paypal so I feel the frustration!!

oceanspitfire Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:51am
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I hear yah..I like to shop with Paypal only as I don't do credit cards either.....Many sites don't take Paypal so I feel the frustration!!

weeeee! I checked out Goldaskitchen.com and emailed her (cause her homepage didnt load properly originally) and they take certifdied cheque, money order, and paypal
and they have a variety of colours and other things (wilton, CK, ateco, americolor, and. drumroll please: LorAnn oils yayyy! ) (and India color: makes all natural colours apparently only found in nature- no synthetic dyes- that could be interesting lol- ok from gel to paste to powder, you name it she has it icon_biggrin.gif

>does happy dance< well ok speak too soon, never ordered from her yet, so dont know how good to say bfore trying LOL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:00pm
post #27 of 29

Well hopefully the shipping isn't too much.I ordered a few boxes from her a few years back and she wanted $40.00 shipping and said it wouldn't be there for 3-4 weeks....I cancelled!! Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth but others have been very happy!!

eema2four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eema2four Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:10pm
post #28 of 29

World of Cake Decorating

where is it?
I plan to be in T.O. soon--can't wait to shop! icon_biggrin.gif
my daughter (% y.o) wanted me to add"cool dude"-so here goes! icon_cool.gif

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:37pm
post #29 of 29

I live in Cambridge so am lucky to have Klara Johnson's here. They have pretty much everything you could want and the people that work there are so helpful and nice. The only other places I have bought cake decorating items are Michaels and The Bulk Barn. I would love to take some classes at Klara's but haven't been able to yet. They did tell me Nicholas Lodge comes once a year and I think that would be really interesting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%