Wedding Sheet Cake

Decorating By CJBabycakes Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 6:53pm by awolf24

CJBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CJBabycakes Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 5

My question is more about presentation.

I have a wedding coming up and it looks like there will sheet cakes in addition to the wedding cake. The sheet cake will go in the back so guest will not see them but is necessary to prepare a cake board covered in foil?

The reason I ask, when my husband and I were married we also had sheet cakes on the side. They were delivered in a foil disposable cake pan. I did not mind because no one saw the sheet cakes anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for you help,
Cindy

4 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I just don't like the disposable foil pans. Even though it is a simple sheet cake and no one except the serving staff is really going to see it, the cake and its presentation is still a reflection of me and my skills. I just did a wedding and had a sheet cake for extra servings. I just iced it smoothly and added a simple bead bottom border, no top border, and had it on a cake board in a cake box.

As I said, just personal preference but it really won't make a difference to those who are eating the cake.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 5

well, I did a sheet cake with minor decorations to match the "real" cake, thinking it would just go in the back and nobody would see it, I just wanted a little something on it because it looked so bare, and if someone got a piece of that, it would look like it belonged there (not really sure what I was thinking, actually) anyway, the bride's family put it out next to the real cake - pictures and all! Thank God I put it on a foil covered board and decorated it!

So I say: just to be safe, put it on the foil covered board, just in case. You don't want to get caught with your knickers flapping in the wind... icon_lol.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 5

Some people really get peeved that they aren't served the "real" wedding cake, so having a layered sheet cake would keep those people happy. Naturally, you couldn't use the foil pans and do this. Maybe it isn't a biggie to most people, but thought I'd mention that there is always that o-n-e person who likes to find something to complain about.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 5

GeminiRJ - glad you mentioned this. I make sure that my sheet cakes are layered just like the layers in the tiers of the main cake so that no one even realizes that they are getting part of the extra sheet cake instead of the main wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%