Decorating A Whipped Cream Covered Cake...how?

Decorating By Derby Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 5:54am by madmay

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 8

Okay. I'm making a pig pickin cake next week for a friend's Thanksgiving. Basically it's a 8", 2 layer white cake with mandarin oranges baked in the cake. The frosting is crushed pineapple (incl juice) mixed with instant vanilla pudding, all folded in to cool whip. I know...a bunch of preservatives, etc. But, it's a customer request and the cake really is good.

So.....question is....How do I decorate it? The frosting is pretty lumpy with the crushed pineapple. I am putting a brown/rust/beige wrapping paper on the cake board. But, I would also like some roses or decorations that help to accent the cake, but not overpower the frosting.

Any suggestions?

7 replies
cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 8

maybe you could do somethig creative with pineapple and orange slices to accent the cake flavors.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 4:44am
post #3 of 8

can you frost cake with the pineapple icing and then use another icing to make the flowers? Maybe stabilized whipped cream.

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 4:48am
post #4 of 8

maybe you could do like a hawaiian rustinc thanksgiving theme... use the frosting as sand or something? just a thought...

Derby Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 4:53am
post #5 of 8

would it look funny to put some MMF roses on the top? In fall colors? Or should I just leave it plain?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 4:56am
post #6 of 8

What anbout some pretty colored fall leaves? Maybe an acorn or pinecone since these are so common here in NC. I think it would look nice.

Derby Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 5:20am
post #7 of 8

any examples????

madmay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madmay Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 5:54am
post #8 of 8

if the icing is pineapples and all, why not use marshiano cherried for a border around it and mandarine oranges side by side ( well drained,? Flakes of coconut ontop of the icing would look good with the taste too.
Just a n idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%