Black Fondant

Decorating By harleyjo Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm by leily

harleyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harleyjo Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 7

How do I get fondant black. Made my own MMF. Using Americolor. Will it get darker as it sits, or do I just keep adding the coloring? Thanks for the help.

6 replies
JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 7

If you let it sit over night or so it should deepen the color. If you add too much color you will get just a sticky mess.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 7

Personally, I don't color my fondant black. I cheat n use the airbrush icon_biggrin.gif But if I do need some for accents I will relent and buy premade colored fondant (only stuff here is wilton)

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 7

Keep adding until you see the color you want. I use Americolor for black all the time and it seems to work well. I dont see or notice any change over time lighter or darker for the most part.

harleyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harleyjo Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 7

thanks everyone for the help.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 7

I would suggest making a chocolate fondant-adding cocoa powder to the mix- to get a darker color to begin with, then you can use less of the food coloring and avoid as much mess or a bitter aftertaste. Unless someone's allergic to or doesn't like chocolate...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 7

if you are making MMF then color your melted marshmallows BEFORE adding the PS, takes a lot less color, and it saves you from kneading and kneading and kneading and.... No more work than making white fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%