Anyone Use Paypal????

Decorating By Mchelle Updated 20 Nov 2006 , 2:17pm by Mchelle

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 22

Hello Everyone!

I am looking into expanding some payment options. Does anyone use Paypal? Like or hate? Pros Cons, etc. ? Rates? I went to their website, but I didn't find anything that really spelled it out for me. I would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks
Michelle

21 replies
AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 22

I have a paypal account and it has never been a problem for me. Nothing bad to say. It is nice to have a secured method of payment too, especially in this day. Hope I have helped some. icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 22

I use paypal, and I like it so far. They do charge to accept payments, but you can factor that into your pricing. I haven't been using it long, but so far so good.

LadyGDiver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyGDiver Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 22

I use PayPal only because I already had the account set up. I did open up a ProPay acct also. Look into that. Very convenient. WWW.ProPay.com

italianbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
italianbaker Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 22

I use paypal too. Never any problems. Costs seem reasonable and transactions are safe.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 22

Hi Michelle,

I use PayPal and have accepted Credit Card payments, some times totaling over $3000.~ The fees range depending on how much money is sent to you and if you go to this page http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside it will give you a break down of fee's charged to your PayPal account. If you would like specific amounts to get an idea of how much is charged I have a few different amounts I can give you...

For $2,000.00 USD They charged $78.30 USD
For $820.00 USD They charged $32.28 USD
For $1,040.00 USD They charged $40.86 USD
For $3,321.00 USD They charged $129.82 USD

Hope this information helps icon_smile.gif

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 22

I usa paypal when I except payments and make payments. They are great, and very secure. They will email you when they think someone is trying to get in your account. And take extra care with you on it. I would advise it.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 22

I use paypal for my website and my ebay store. I have had no problems with it and I like that you can do shipping and labeling and packing slips through paypal.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 22

been trying to get that darn pay pal button on my web site..and I keep forgetting to call the webmaster to help me..lol

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 8:56am
post #10 of 22

i think there fees are similar to other merchant services .....I have a credit card terminal for my photography jobs....but so far they are about the same.....they are good....

have a contract in either case....because if for somereason they decide to dispute the charge they will want docmuments with terms saying you held up your end.....I have nevr had this problem with paypal.....but once didi have a bride try to reverse her charges after her wedding......and they would have given it to her if i didnt have a contract saying no refunds and where she signed.

bc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bc Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 12:09pm
post #11 of 22

Been using paypal for a couple of years now it is very secure and the instant way to send a payment easily... go for it....

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 12:29pm
post #12 of 22

I love PayPal too, I use it for my eBay selling constantly. It really allows people the flexibility, and their fees are reasonable. I looked into what it would cost to have a point of sale terminal, and I think I'll just stick with PayPal. And if people pay from their checking accts, there aren't any fees. Just for credit cards. And it's secure, and they have really good dispute resolution procedures.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 22

I use paypal also. They have locked my account when someone was trying to hack into it-which is a good thing. Very safe and secure site, IMO.
RisqueBusiness- love your new avatar. Hehe.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 1:44pm
post #14 of 22

I too have a Paypal account to buy and sell on Ebay.I have never had a problem.I like the convenience of it and quick payment.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 22

As someone mentioned above, they do charge to accept payments, but you have different option choices wtih them...do you want a personal account or a business account? On one you can't accept credit/debit card payments, on the other you can.

It charges to accept credit/debit card payments, if you choose that account.

But, even for the small fee it charges, the security makes up for it.

They handle disputes well in deciding who will get their money back if that's an option, etc.

Good Luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 22

So it runs about 4% over your invoice to charge by PayPal. That's not much more than the credit card companies have offered me to start accepting charges.

What's nice about PayPal is that with international credits/debits, there is no fee if you are the purchaser. I do not know about for vendors. Anyone have any info on this?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 2:09pm
post #17 of 22

Yes Paypal is good....have been a member like 7 years or so on Ebay and everything and then have used a link on my cake site for the last year and its been great. Very safe and also reputable so buyers aren't worried about using your website to pay.

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 3:07pm
post #18 of 22

I have used paypal for a long time and love it. Lots of places are now accepting this type of payment.
Judy

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 6:50pm
post #19 of 22

i have only ever sent out money...never received any so i cant tell you how that part works....but i havent had any problems paying anyone.

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 8:54pm
post #20 of 22

The only problem I have had, is that some merchants don't send stuff out until everything from paypal clears (like if I use my checking account). In fact, it happened here on CC, and one of the items I ordered became unavailable during the "waiting time". So, that was pretty frustrating, since it was the one thing that I had REALLY gone in to order! ARG! Otherwise, good...and I understand why, but in this day of electronic checking....my bills go through the same day, why couldn't the paypal transfer?

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 5:47pm
post #21 of 22

The person that sent me the payments I posted before is in Canada and I'm in the US. The charged them the amount in Canadian funds so they had to figure out how much they needed to send originally so that when they converted it it would balance out to the correct amount, I'm sure there is a way to do this easier. They charged ME the conversion fees because I was accepting the payments it was taken out of the funds sent. So if they are in another country then you you will need to figure out how much it is going to be to transfer it to USD or whatever and charge the buyer the appropriet amount so that you don't fall short on that.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 2:17pm
post #22 of 22

Sorry guys, my computer is not working so I couldn't log on. Anyways, thank you all for all of the information. It is very helpful. I am also going to check in to the ProPay as well.

Thanks
Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%