Cupcake Cakes--What Are These Things?!

Decorating By alisoncooks Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 12:38pm by alisoncooks

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:42am
post #1 of 8

I've seen multiple cupcake cakes posted in the gallery. Before now, I'd never even heard of this. I think they're kinda odd...why not just do cupcakes OR a cake? I guess they're like some weird mutant breed of the two? Are these popular out there?

Do not---I repeat---do not be offended if you've posted a ccc. Yours is beautiful. I just don't "get them". I can't even understand how you decorate all those little buggers w/out them moving around and ruining your icing. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
procrastibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
procrastibaker Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #2 of 8

I feel you. Inquiring minds want to know. icon_eek.gif

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:52am
post #3 of 8

I've never made one, but I do think they're kind of neat. I have a friend who's a kinergarten teacher who thinks they are the coolest thing ever. The teachers HATE regular sheet cakes (think knives, forks, plates, etc.), but this way the birthday girl/boy is able to get the look of a big impressive cake without the mess of cutting up a sheet cake. They just pull it apart and hand a cupcake to each kid.

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #4 of 8

i can understand the point of them, it's easier to decorate one bigger thing than lots of little things. i have no clue how to make one and since my kids school won't allow them(no treats at all), i'll never have to make one unless someone orders one but up until i found out i wasn't allowed to bring them into school, i was thinking of making them for my kids birthdays.

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:03am
post #5 of 8

I am glad to know that I was not the only one on this website that did not know what a cupcake cake was. However, I had a friend ask me to make one for her 3 year old grandson. Another member here answered my plea for help and told me how to create one. It really was not as difficult as I originally thought. You set the cupcakes up on your board (stick to board with little buttercream so they will stay in place)...push them really close together and ice the top...then decorate as you would any sheet cake.

For some reason, the young mothers these days like this concept...no utensils are required and the guests just pull a cupcake away and eat it! Mine is the Diego - jungle theme in my pics.

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:08am
post #6 of 8

I used to work for wal-mart at the home office and they asked a panel of us to come up with a unique way of doing cupcakes!! That was my idea, now I am not saying I invented them, I had just saw cupcakes that were decorated in a row to look like a catapillar and I thought why not be able to decorate like a cake!!! This reasoning was because this gave me the ability to do shapes for orders. Because as most of you know wal-mart wouldn't let us do shaped cakes!!! Thats kinda how I like to think they came about, but they are easier than a cake and are easier to serve!!!

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

Lol
This post made me laugh

Cupcake cakes are the bomb , I sell so many of them its not funny , they are so so easy to make ,

I have a limit of a minimum of 25 cupcakes have made up to 50 for the one design

I get a board and the uniced cupcakes
then i start with a row of say five them a row of four then five etc(tucking the next row in tight in the dips from the first row) till I have used all the cakes (this is for a standard one with a drawing etc , you can make them into shapes as well )if I am happy with the shape I then put a little blob or royal icing under each cupcake and then let them sit there a few minutes then I get a bag full of buttercream and I then put a big squiggle on top of each cupcake . then get a flat knife , that I dip in hot water and flatten out all the tops and merge all the cream together so I am left with a nice flat smooth area and all the cupcakes are covered , I then draw the design and decorate the edges and its done,
they are so easy to pullapart and serve , we call them pullapart cupcakes here in Oz

hope this helps

Suzy

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 8

This is great! Thanks for all the replies. I had just never seen these things, and when I had previously heard the phrase "cupcake cake" I assumed people were talking about a shaped pan. As a former 1st grd teacher (now SAHM) I can see how these are cool for younger kids! Shoot, I may even have to try one out now. But I can't even get the icing on the top of a cake smooth...can't even imagine 24 indiv. rounded cupcakes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%