What Is Wrong W/my Fondant?

Decorating By Letmebeurdesignr Updated 17 Sep 2007 , 9:08pm by darrahmomof3

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 13

I have tried and tried to stop my fondant from doing this. I have made the MMF fondant and it keeps "ripping" I guess you would say. I keep adding shortening and ive added powdered sugar and it is still doing this. This is supposed to be a black but i cant get it black black for some reason. Anybody have any ideas? This is going on my daughters bday cake for saturday.

Thanks
LL
LL

12 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 13

I had this same problem with only the brown on my last cake. For some reason the more brown gell i added the worse it got. I really don't know how to fix this but i improvised and melted a bunch of tootsi rolls and mixed it into my mmf and it seemed to work although it gets hard really fast. Sorry i couldn't be of more help. One other thing, the marshmellos that you used, were they fresh or did you have them for a while. I also noticed that my mmf worked best if i had just purchased them rather than have them sit for a long while.

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 13

Is this the marshmallow fondant? If so, if you can get to a bakery supply store and buy chocolate fondant and then add black coloring to it. I have no idea why yours is doing this. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.
Good luck.

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 13

I'm not sure. Sorry I can't help you. I'd like to know this too. I hope that someone could help you with this.

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 13

I'm not sure. Sorry I can't help you. I'd like to know this too. I hope that someone could help you with this.

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosita6882

I had this same problem with only the brown on my last cake. For some reason the more brown gell i added the worse it got. I really don't know how to fix this but i improvised and melted a bunch of tootsi rolls and mixed it into my mmf and it seemed to work although it gets hard really fast. Sorry i couldn't be of more help. One other thing, the marshmellos that you used, were they fresh or did you have them for a while. I also noticed that my mmf worked best if i had just purchased them rather than have them sit for a long while.

Yes the MM were fresh. I had just bought them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemum

Is this the marshmallow fondant? If so, if you can get to a bakery supply store and buy chocolate fondant and then add black coloring to it. I have no idea why yours is doing this. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.
Good luck.

Yes this is MMF. I cant use the Fondant from wilton...daughter hates the wilton fondant and i had to convince her to do MMF.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 13

Satin Ice is what I use and it never does this and I can even purchase it in Black, Red, Green and many other colors.

IT TASTES GREAT TOO!!! thumbs_up.gif

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 13

Mine does this sometimes when I add alot of gel color to acheive a dark color. Let it rest overnight and work the heck out of it tomorrow. The color will develop deeper and hopefully you'll have better luck. I'm now adding a little corn syrup to my MMF to smooth it out. HTH...

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 13

Chocolate_Bunnies where do you buy your colord satin ice?

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes

Satin Ice is what I use and it never does this and I can even purchase it in Black, Red, Green and many other colors.

IT TASTES GREAT TOO!!! thumbs_up.gif

I cant buy Satin Ice. My local stores I dont think carries it. Never seen it. I dont have time to buy it from online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsnurse

Mine does this sometimes when I add alot of gel color to acheive a dark color. Let it rest overnight and work the heck out of it tomorrow. The color will develop deeper and hopefully you'll have better luck. I'm now adding a little corn syrup to my MMF to smooth it out. HTH...

I did add alot of gel color to get it to where it is now on the darkness..wonder if that has anything to do w/it...guess ill let it rest overnight like you said and see if it helps...I did add cornsyrup to the fondant and good grief its really sticky..lol..Guess ill try to start on the next color and hopefully it wont do this.

Thanks a bunch yall.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 13

For whatever reason, this happens most of the time when trying achieve dark colors. There have been many threads about it and what to do.
The solutions...? Buy your dark colors.
I still make and use MMF but I now buy black, red and chocolate Satin Ice.
I got so stinkin' pissed when I was trying for a burgundy and the stuff just kept ripping apart...it was for an anniversary cake.....it never turned out.
So now I buy all the dark stuff and go from there.
The majority of people will tell you to keep adding crisco and yes, it helped...but it didnt do the trick...at least not for me. Mine was still crumbly.
Ugh...whatta pain that was!
Maybe for you, start with chocolate fondant and go from there, adding black.
Good luck icon_wink.gif

filijm2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
filijm2002 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 13

You can always use the wilton color mist on Chocolate if you are covering the whole cake with black fondant. Otherwise, the reason it is pulling and separating so easy is the extra cocoa powder that you are adding to it. To compensate you need to add a little little, like 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and because cocoa is much drier than powdered sugar, I always add a bit more shortening and an extra tbsp of white corn syrup. Haven't tried the tootsie rolls. Sounds interesting. You obviously know what the fondant is suppose to look like so focus on adding enough wet ingredients (shortening and corn syrup) to get the desired texture. You should always let MMF sit because it will darken over several days.

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 13

I have never had that problem. I know there are different recipes for fondant, the way I make it is:
1-16 oz bag of mini marshallows, 2 tbsp of water, melt those in the microwave for about 1 min. Then stir and add color. I then add powdered sugar a little at a time. I don't measure because it think its better to do it by how it feels than just a certain amount. I stir and keep adding until it is the right consistancy. then knead it for a few minutes.
I don't know how you do it but maybe this will help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%