How To Get Into These Competitions?

Decorating By FerretDeprived Updated 17 Sep 2007 , 4:14am by BrandisBaked

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:20am
post #1 of 6

So, i'm a teen and i'm looking to get into some competitions for fun. (Don't take the pictures i have as my skills, those are a bit old and i've gotten better, i just havent been able to take pictures of some of my best cakes so far icon_sad.gif )

But i have no idea how to get into these competitions. I don't hear about them and i can't find any to enter into. I know there has to be some going on now? I'm even willing to travel if it's worth it. icon_razz.gif

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:25am
post #2 of 6

check with your local 4-H club for county and state fair entries. I taught a 10-year old how to decorate cakes just for the purpose of her 4-H project.

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 3:28am
post #3 of 6

Is there any way to get involved without having to join my local 4-h? I'd have to join and pay some fees and such and if i can get to competitions on my own, i'd prefer to. Is there anything i can enter and do along with county/state fairs?

weddingsbymindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingsbymindy Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 3:43am
post #4 of 6

Yes do a google search for state & county fairs as well as local art & craft shows hosted by churches & schools. Even the local public schols often have fall festavals with a cake walk & auction to raise funds. Also check with your local cake clubs for additinal ideas. I know ICES has a couple good GA club chapters. I'm sure there are some ccer's from GA that can help too. Good Luck!

PS since you don't have good pictures for your portfolio consider making some small fake cakes. You can buy styrafoam from the craft store then make some small displays for practice! Invest in a simple digital camera too!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 3:51am
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure what part of Georgia you live in, but if you go to the bottom of this page http://www.gaices.com/page.asp?lngpageid=12 you can email about getting into the cake clubs in the Metro Atlanta area, and maybe they can help you with finding competitions in your area.

I don't know for sure that either will be able to help you, but hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Holly

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:14am
post #6 of 6

Doesn't Ices list local events? Or ACD magazine?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%