Baking In A Loaf Pan?

Decorating By jjs1227 Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 1:49am by jjs1227

jjs1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjs1227 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 14

Can I bake a chocolate cake mix in a loaf pan? What temp? How long? Thanks for the help in advance icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 14

I would say yes, but I would just keep an eye on it, and test it for readiness!

usaribbon.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 14

Sure you can. You may have more batter (from a mix, I assume) than the pan will hold, make cupcakes with the extra. Temp., 325, the time will be somewhere around 30-40 mins. You'll have to do the toothpick or knife test to be sure. (Going to sculpt?)

jjs1227 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 14

yes I was going to try and make truck cake i though that a loaf pan would make a good size what do you think I'm pretty unsure of the whole thing do you think it would work????

brewer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brewer Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 14

Yes you sure can bake a cake in a loaf pan, in fact last week I did a chocolate cake in a loaf pan because I was making a monster truck for a little boy. The cake baked fine in the the loaf pan. Good luck!

lapazlady Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 14

Sounds good. You'll have the correct shape to start with. I think it'll make it easier to carve. Have fun doing it, take your time, do it in small steps. I look forward to seeing the finished cake.

jjs1227 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for all of the help icon_biggrin.gif

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 14

I think it'll work great. Just a little advice- my loaf pans are glass, so if yours are too, you might want to lower the temp to 300. The cake will get too dark on the top, especially if you're using chocolate. Good luck!

lapazlady Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 14

Good point! Glass does cook faster, on the outside.

jjs1227 Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 14

thanks for all of the help the cakes came out great! Ill be sure to post when I get it done.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 14

I am doing a grooms cake and he is wanting a 63 Chev. Truck. How did the loaf pan work out when you made the truck cake? Do you have a picture that I can see? I have made a train out of the loaf pan before but not a truck. Thanks for any pointers you can give.

jjs1227 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 14

the cake turned out great the loaf pan cooked up great unfortunatly i didnt get a pic. of it (we had a daughter in the hospital incident that distracted me icon_sad.gif ) I used a reg. sized loaf pan to make the body and bed and a small loaf pan to make the cab. I worked out great! I used a chocolate cake mix with the mix extender recipe from this site it made the cakes easy to handle and carve. I used mini chocolate donuts for the tires. Good luck and take a pic. so we can see how good yours turns out!

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:59am
post #13 of 14

Thanks for your help. I will have to make a few practice cakes. Did the chocolate cake have a lot of crumbs?

jjs1227 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:49am
post #14 of 14

They werent too bad I cooled the cake in the fridge then put a crumb cake on it and put it in the fridge again that seemed to help alot. Also I used the cake extender recipe which makes the cake firmer. I also used the "magic grease" (one part oil, flour, and crisco mixed smooth and brushed on) it really seems to make the cake came out nice and clean. Good Luck Hope all this helps icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%