Chocolate Buttercream Help Please??

Decorating By MOBOGAL Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 6:38pm by Daisys_Cakes

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all,

I just finished making Toba Garrett's chocolate buttercream recipe. I made a full batch (mistake #1) and it really put a strain on my mixer. I actually had to take half the batch out, add more liquid and then add the rest back to get the mixer to run. Now, while the icing tastes great, there are small lumps all throughout it. They look like un-dissolved or hardened sugar/cocoa. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this? This has never happened to me before using vanilla buttercream. I'm bummed, since this wasn't a cheap recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't had theis happen, the only suggestion I have is if it is too thick still to put it back in the mixer and add more of the liquid (littel at a time so it doesn't get too thin) you use in your frosting. You could cream it like you do when you make cookies by smashing the chunks against the wall of the bowl. HTH

Kat

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

Next time you use cocoa powder in icing I would suggest that you sift it first so you don't end up with lumps of cocoa. As for getting out the lumps I would try taking a small a mount of icing and smashing it onto the side of the bowl until the lumps come out.

HTH!
Deborah

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 2:16am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for coming to the rescue ladies (Hi Kat!). I did sift the cocoa, but maybe not enough? I did what you both suggested and smashed the icing against the bowl and that helped a lot. There were still a few clumps but not nearly as many. I also thinned it out and that helped too. I appreciate the help icon_smile.gif The finished cake is in "my photos" now. Thanks again!

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBOGAL

Thanks for coming to the rescue ladies (Hi Kat!). I did sift the cocoa, but maybe not enough? I did what you both suggested and smashed the icing against the bowl and that helped a lot. There were still a few clumps but not nearly as many. I also thinned it out and that helped too. I appreciate the help icon_smile.gif The finished cake is in "my photos" now. Thanks again!

I went to look at the cake and I ended up commenting on all your cakes! They are sooooo beautiful. Way to go MOBOGAL! thumbs_up.gif

Deborah thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%