OK - I love to work with candy melts - I have done loads of chocolate transfers as well as molded shapes. I have never really had any trouble...until now! For the past month or so, everything I try turns out a mess. I just can't get the chocolate to melt right. It is either too gloppy and thick, or it siezes and burns because it is too hot. I can never get it to be just right. I live in Houston and was wondering if it might be the summer humidity??? Is there something I can do to fix this?? It is driving me crazy!! Thanks! KM
You could try adding a little butter to the chocolate, if it's clumpy after you melt it. Sounds like you're using the microwave to melt, which I do, too. There's always the option of melting it in a double boiler but I am a little lazy for that, even though I never had a problem with clumping when done this way. Finally, there's a product called Paramount Crystals that can be added to chocolate to help get a smooth consistency. Here's a link on where you can buy them. I've used them with very good results.
Hope this helps.
Sometimes if the wafers are too old they won't melt properly no matter what you do. Perhaps you've gotten an old batch? I would try getting a new batch from a different supplier. I live at the shore with really high humidity and have not had a problem with the humidity.
I live in a very humid climate too and you're right, any amount of water will cause chocolate to seize. Also, if you're coloring your chocolate, make sure you're using candy color instead of food color. Candy coloring is oil based. I agree that maybe you could try melting your candy on a double boiler and take it off before all the chocolate melts, just keep stirring until it's smooth.
Good luck! You can do it!
It does sound like symptoms of old candy. Whether it is or not, I highly recommend getting some paramount crystals anyway. They are made of the same fat that is in the candy melts, so it always blends smoothly. It should revive any gloppy chocolate you've got.
OK - Thanks! I will try the crystals. I have just been having fits with this! Gloopy gloppy chocolate no matter what I do. I like to do transfers, but when it is like this, I can't make it work!! Thanks again!! KM
You can also add Crisco, it works just like the crystals if you don't have them on hand. HTH!
So sorry you are having troubles! I know that I just started using candy melts and if you get any type of water in it they will seize.
Also, I find that sometimes I forget that I need to melt mine on HALF power in the microwave. You can do half power for a minute but, then do 30 second intervals and I find that I only need to do that a few times. They always come out nice when I do it that way.
They could also be a bad batch!
You won't forget to melt at half power if you just use Defrost, like I do.
I live in Austin - I get your frustration with the humidity! I'm also a dedicated microwave user (I didn't say it's the best, but certainly the fastest my mom would have a coronary if she heard that!). I've found that adding the tiniest dollop of Crisco helps. I even add a little Crisco to my chocolate when dipping strawberries.
I agree it may be old or the humidity.
You can revive it with Crisco if it starts to seize, half power in 30 second intervals.
Hope this helps and good luck.
I'm so dissapointed with Wiltons Candy Melts. I have tried every method, microwave, double boiler and ... I even purchased Wiltons Pro Melter and every time I end up with scorched chocolate or a huge puddle of oil since I have to put so much Crisco to get it to melt. I've tried different bags of Candy Melts in case they are old and still the same.
I have not had problems with Wilton Candy Melts and I don't add anything to it. I just melt slowly in microwave and they have always seemed to work fine. With CK I have never been able to get them to melt correctly. I was told you couldn't melt in microwave so I tried double boiler and still no luck. A friend says she always melts in the microwave so I don't know what I am doing wrong with that brand.
I use to have the same problem...I could NOT work with melted candy...I decided after like 2yrs to try again, and It worked for me...the only difference I did was this:
I got the bags from the Wilton candy, wafers...I bought candy colors to tint my candy and had tooth picks on hand....I made parchement paper cones, small ones to fit in my hand. and got them ready. I then took small glass bowls like the ramkin (sp)and I put in ONLY 5-7 candy wafers spread out, and zapped in the microwave only 30secs....pulled them out, they will still look intact but once you stir them...good they blend and melted good...I then put them into the cones and started to pipe....BTW: Bubble Guppies cake here are CT and so is my Dora on here.
THAT EASY!!!! before I was adding a bunch of candy into a bowl to melt...Hope this helps someone...
NOW I HAVE A "NEW" QUESTION...need to make grandson a bday cake...if I made CT's...will they melt and get out of shape? They have to travel on a cake for 10-hrs...Im laying them flat on a cake...will the shape hold or will they mess up?
AI always used regular liquid food color to my candymelts and i never had problems :) i even made white chocolate fondant and used liq.fc,no problem as well. I just add very little at a time.
*****NOW I HAVE A "NEW" QUESTION...need to make grandson a bday cake...if I made CT's...will they melt and get out of shape? They have to travel on a cake for 10-hrs...Im laying them flat on a cake...will the shape hold or will they mess up? would it help if I made them thicker? I really dont want to make them too thick....Can I make them regular????
Needing to know by today, by 4pm