Apprenticship/part-Time Work

Business By praetorian2000 Updated 24 Nov 2006 , 10:49pm by surfergina

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 8

I desparately want to go into the baking/cake decorating business. I completed a baking and pastry class and received a certificate. I work full time as a social worker and cannot all of a sudden make the switch. That would be a huge pay cut. The school I received my certificate from is trying to get me connected with an apprenticeship at a local bakery that would accept me. The problem is, since I work full time, I can only do weekend hours. And no one wants that. They want more time for me because that would be the only way I could learn. I have sent several letters to local bakeries asking for an apprenticeship or part time work or just to donate hours in exchange for learning experience. No one is responding. Or maybe they're thinking and are taking a while to respond. I hope that's what they're doing.
My question is, what would be the best way for me to get my foot in the door? Bakeries aren't advertising for workers so I can browse the want ads to see who's in need of help. The holidays are here and I know they all could use the extra help. I have a portfolio of cakes and brownies and candies that I have made. They're on my website if you want to see them. I thought of walking in and asking, but who exactly should I talk to? Some owners have 3-4 locations so they may not be at that particular location. All I want to do is bake. I'm not after fame or money (and that amazes my girlfriend, but I keep telling her it's baking that makes me happy and not money). I just want to bake. Any suggestions would be well received. And I'm sorry this is long.

7 replies
ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 8

I would make a few phone calls, ask for the owner and see if you could schedule an appointment. Try several bakeries. There's must be someone out there with your passion for the art willing to take an apprentice or part-time employee, especially this time of the year! After all, you don't have anything to lose and everything to gain!
I'm with you, I like the baking part so I'm into all kinds of desserts, not just cakes!!
Leslie

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with Diva mostly. On the other hand, your idea of going in and asking to speak with someone and showing them your portfolio could possibly get you more of a foot in the door. It's easier to say no to someone over the phone but in person, most people will at least have the decency to hear you out and look at some of your work. If you go that route it would probably be best to just ask to talk to the manager and then see where it can go from there. GOOD LUCK!

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 8

Praetorian,

What's your location? I'm hiring right now at my bakery. I didn't want to shamelessly promote, but I would love someone who loves cake decorating!

amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 8

Go in and ask for the manager or store owner... and tell them you are looking for an apprenticeship or part time help to get your foot in the door. And see if they can help you out-- maybe they will know someone else who might need help or if they don't need help now -- maybe in the future....

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 7:41am
post #6 of 8

hard to believe they wouldn't want just weekend help...since in this biz it's all about the weekend.

you need to go in ....in person...i bet you'll get hired.

do you have any decorating experiance?...every time i went in they had me decorate a cake.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchef

Praetorian,

What's your location? I'm hiring right now at my bakery. I didn't want to shamelessly promote, but I would love someone who loves cake decorating!

Thanks, but I'm in New York.
I think I'll try going in to some nearby places one early morning. One early morning when I have my portfolio with me.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 8

Hi! You might want to try applying for a cake decorator position at one of your local grocery store. They hired people like you very easily after you provide them a copy of your certification (Wilton class, college, culinary, etc).

I learned ALOT by working for FoodLion in Florida. I've work there for almost 4 months until I had to move out-of-state for a new house. It helped me to get started for my OWN home bakery business.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%