I Have A Great Suggestion..

Business By countrysidecakes Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm by mkolmar

countrysidecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrysidecakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:14am
post #1 of 7

I have a great Suggestion! I was going to buy a client of mine a baby shower gift today, and in my travels, I found a upscale baby/kids consignment store. I went in and found that there where lots of mom's out there who want home baked b-day cakes for their kids. We where discussing that it is just easier to go to Wal-Mart to get it since they go there to usually buy party supplies and groceries, but they really want something special for their kids, and if they could find a good baker then they would use them. I don't have kids of my own and I would have never patronized a store like this, I am so glad I went in! I am supposed to bring some of my goods in there next week for a cake tasting, and get this the store owner is going to pay me to do this! Whoo Hoo, the blessings just keep coming! So this is a good idea to put some business cards and if you are bold then ask the owner if you can do a cake tasting also. This is going to be great for my business! Good Luck!

6 replies
AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:22am
post #2 of 7

Congratulations! I hope this brings you tons and tons of new business.

I moved to a new town about 5 years ago. Yes, I bake cakes but couldn't decorate at that time. I have taken classes since then. I had to depend on the local bakery for everything. I later discovered that the post office and some local restaurants have bulletin boards in them with business cards. I was so excited to find homemade decorated cakes. Maybe you could also put your card up if any businesses have the boards in your area. Just a suggestion.

Good luck and I wish you the very best with your business.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:27am
post #3 of 7

That is good to hear. My friend wants to do a combine busines where part of the building is consignment and the other the bakery. She thought it would really bring in business for each other. I wasn't sure but sounds like she may be on to something. I will have to let her know what you said. Thanks and GOOD LUCK! icon_wink.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:43am
post #4 of 7

That's great! Thank you for sharing that suggestion!

countrysidecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrysidecakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:52am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanscakebabies

That is good to hear. My friend wants to do a combine busines where part of the building is consignment and the other the bakery. She thought it would really bring in business for each other. I wasn't sure but sounds like she may be on to something. I will have to let her know what you said. Thanks and GOOD LUCK! icon_wink.gif

She also might consider kids party supplies. I have found that when I am doing cakes that parents want a one stop shop, and offering party supplies and cakes all in one place at a good price, you will not be able to compete with walmart, but walmart does not have all the characters that kids want, in party supplies that is, they carry the staples around here mostly disney stuff, but most of the kids that I have done cakes for want stuff like spider man, and justice league, and strawberry short cake, walmart does not offer these characters in their party suppy section, well at least my walmarts don't.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 7

Hmm, good idea. hadn't thought of that. I will have to talk to her about that. This would be great in our area too there is nothing like it, we may be on to something! icon_wink.gif Thanks

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 7

good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%