Pre-Made Fondant Bows

Decorating By Cakerer Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 6:20am by GenGen

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:01am
post #1 of 6

Hi all - I've seen premade fondant bows-I believe they are made by Wilton - at walmart and michaels. They are white - but I was wondering if anyone has tried to to paint these with color paste (not airbrush).

5 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:44am
post #2 of 6

I haven't bought a bow, but I saw my Walmart had a few broken ones. I looked at them pretty closely and discovered they are actually paper, and not fondant. I am not sure how well you could paint them.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:46am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

I haven't bought a bow, but I saw my Walmart had a few broken ones. I looked at them pretty closely and discovered they are actually paper, and not fondant. I am not sure how well you could paint them.

Wow, I'm glad you told me that! I thought they were fondant! I tried to make a bow and didn't do very well.

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:55am
post #4 of 6

I used one of the Wilton bows once and I just dyed it in hot water with regular Wilton coloring. You have to be careful because they will actually melt in the center where they are put togther so don't leave it in the water too long. Get the color you want right before putting the bow in and just sort of swish it around to get the color all over. They are pretty good in a pinch.

sugadahl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugadahl Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:09am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmic

I used one of the Wilton bows once and I just dyed it in hot water with regular Wilton coloring. You have to be careful because they will actually melt in the center where they are put togther so don't leave it in the water too long. Get the color you want right before putting the bow in and just sort of swish it around to get the color all over. They are pretty good in a pinch.

I agree with vicmic---the Wilton bow is great if you're in a pinch. The instructions on how to dye the bow are exactly as vicmic described and are included in the box.
I remember trying to make my first fondant bow last year and it turned into a disaster. I had to come up with an alternate plan quick and I remembered seeing the Wilton bow at Michaels and ended up having to buy one that day because I was pressed for time. I'm a little better at making fondant bows now but the Wilton bow saved me that day.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:20am
post #6 of 6

hm can't you paint the color on with a brush? like the way one does with the luster powders and vodka (etc)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%