Marzipan

Decorating By Cady Updated 27 Jul 2005 , 2:27pm by Tuggy

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 12:34am
post #1 of 4

Can someone please tell me what this is? I seen a reciepe for marzipan in the reciepes but i'm still not sure what it is or what it is for.

Thanks
Cady

3 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 4

Marzipan is a traditionally European paste/dough of very very finely ground up almonds. It has the consistency of fondant almost and is SUPER yummy. It is pale yellow to bright yellow in colour.

You can buy it at Bulk stores, some grocery stores or ethnic stores mostly. It is usually sold in tight sausage-like wrapped tubes.

In Europe, they cover their wedding fruit cakes with it commonly...underneath the top icing coating. We don't see it a lot in Canada or the U.S. but we do use it for some cakes, fillings in chocolates, etc.

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 4

It's made with ground almonds. You use it to make things, like little fruits and stuff. It is eatable. Some people I think use it to cover cakes, but from what I understand it's not done a lot here in America, probably because that would be pricy. Martha is big on using it to decorate some of her wedding cakes. you could go to her website and look. They are just adorable.

Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 4

The big difference is that marzipan isn´t that playable as fondant and it´s structure isn´t that fine. Also you have to be careful if you want to color it, because of it´s own cream color, some shades will be hard to achive (blue will tent to go green).

Best wishes from the country where all cakes are covered with marzipan
Tuggy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%