Newbie Help Needed For My Son's Birthday Cake

Decorating By HBurch Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 12:05pm by monizcel

HBurch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBurch Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to make an army cake for my son's birthday party this weekend. I read an easy recipe for a box of pudding and whipping cream but now I can' t find it. I have been making cakes for my family for a while and never used a filling...now I want to take it to the next level. icon_smile.gif Also, what will be the easiest way to get the army shades of green and brown for the cake?
After reading and seeing all the cakes on here I want to try everything, but feel like I don't know a darn thing. lol icon_cry.gif
Thanks,
Heather

7 replies
monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 8

You can take a box of pudding mix (any flavour) and mix it with 1 cup of whipping cream to make a mousse (the pudding mix is added dry to the whipping cream).

For the brown colour start with chocolate icing (probably milk chocolate for a lighter brown shade and add brown icing colour to that).

For the army green I would suggest mixing green shades with a tiny bit of brown to darken it up (I've never tried this before... so proceed at your own risk).

Good luck

HBurch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBurch Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you...do you know if the filling will be good for a 9x13 cake or do I need to double it? Also, do I use the little box or big one? Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to get this right.
I will go with the tips on the colors, I've never done choc. buttercream before, so this will be a completely new experience...oh well, kids don't care what they eat when it comes to cake. lol icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 8

I make my filling with pudding using 1 cup each of milk and cream and whip it with the little box. It should be plenty for a 9x13.
I'd get moss green and maybe kelly for the greens, if brown doesn't work try adding black.
For brown I normally use chocolate.

Cicley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cicley Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:38am
post #5 of 8

You can also get aerosol spray colors in dark green, light green, brown,black and spot spray all over cake and then separate colors with black piped lines...you can trim the cake to look like grass all around....i've sone several cakes like this and they all came out great...i wish i had pics but they were destroyed in a flood

cakemom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom2boys Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:55am
post #6 of 8

I'm new here but I did a camoflage cake for a friend that just came back from boot camp. I did chocolate frosting and then added black to some of it, and moss green color to it and just frosted the different colors onto the cake.

justduit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justduit Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:40am
post #7 of 8

add just a bit of red to green icing to get that brownish green.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 8

I'm not sure about the quantity for the mousse, but to be safe, I'd have 2 boxes (small) and 2 cups of whipping cream on hand.

I'd make one box first and if you think you need more filling, make the second box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%