Speaking Of Sifting Who Does With Mixes?

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 3:13pm by marthajo1

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 35

Do you all sift your cake mixes?? (those of you who bake from a mix)

34 replies
aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 35

I always sift my mixes. I swear by it. It's much easier to mix, the batter turns out smoother and I think it makes a big difference in cake texture - in my opinion. icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 35

Nope - never. icon_smile.gif

jessieb578 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 35

wow, I used to sift everything - then I didn't at all, now I'm doing it again - I thought I was nuts that it changed the cake, but maybe I'm not!!

Any thoughts?

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 35

Absolutely...always!

Wanda

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 35

I do mos of the time unless I am lazy, but then I am always sorry because I see the lumps!

Julia

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 35

Always!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 35

Always!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 35

I never used to until I heard of tohers doing it on these boards, I thought "hey, why not at least try it" well I have never gone back, Some people might think i'm crazy, but I can DEFINITELY tell a difference in the cake if I don't sift.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 35

Agreed, when I use a mix I always sift it... it makes a huge difference, I notice it alot with the WASC and the chocolate devil's food cake.

I think it has a similar affect in a recipe as sifting the flour.

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 35

I do!

Mellu1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mellu1 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 35

99.0% of the time I do sift. ( I have my lazy moments) icon_smile.gif

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 35

When I use mixes I always sift them too. Sometimes there are some incredibly hard pieces I find too.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 35

the mix
the extra flour in the extender
the extra sugar in the extender
the pudding mix too.

and it DOES make a difference.

(about the only thing I don't sift, is the PS for the BC)

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:14pm
post #15 of 35

I have never sifted any of my cake mixes, but reading this post and watching Emeril Lagasse past couple of days makes me think I should to get the batter not so lumpy. I like how Emeril does it-has a big piece of parchment paper and sifts all of the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, etc. onto the paper, then when all done, takes each end of the paper, brings it up and pours it into the mixer-a lot less messier that way.
I will need to buy a bigger sifter if I am going to do this, though. The only one Ihave is a really small one. icon_rolleyes.gif I'll try to get one this weekend!!

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:25pm
post #16 of 35

Always. Mix, extender, everything. thumbs_up.gif

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #17 of 35

I second Doug's vote! Everything!

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #18 of 35

When sifting the flour for an extender like WASC do you measure before or after sifting?

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:33pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie2500

I have never sifted any of my cake mixes, but reading this post and watching Emeril Lagasse past couple of days makes me think I should to get the batter not so lumpy. I like how Emeril does it-has a big piece of parchment paper and sifts all of the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, etc. onto the paper, then when all done, takes each end of the paper, brings it up and pours it into the mixer-a lot less messier that way.
I will need to buy a bigger sifter if I am going to do this, though. The only one Ihave is a really small one. icon_rolleyes.gif I'll try to get one this weekend!!

Thanks for the parchment paper tip Cassie! I make such a mess trying to sift into the bowl, this will save me a lot of clean up time...I owe you one for this tip! thumbs_up.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:55pm
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie757

When sifting the flour for an extender like WASC do you measure before or after sifting?

Measure before.

jessieb578 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:50pm
post #21 of 35

Ya know I've been so lazy, but don't they have those cannister sifters? Maybe that will make it less time consuming.

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 12:16am
post #22 of 35

Can anyone recommend a good sifter? I had a metal one that I bought from Ikea. The first time I tried it on a cake mix, the thing got so clogged up that I couldn't get anything out of it. I ended up bending the piece inside by accident and throwing the whole thing in the trash.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:49am
post #23 of 35

When I first saw that idea here on CC, I thought "oh geesh, some people have way too much time on their hands!" So one day, I just decided to see what difference it made ..... Oh. My. God. I have not made a cake since and NOT sifted the mix!

It takes less beater time because the batter is smooth!! I also heard that the #1 mistake people make is overbeating the batter, so this goes hand in hand. The cake appears denser, meaning there are way fewer air holes in the cake.

Next to learning the Melvira Method, this is the best tip I've picked up from CC.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:06am
post #24 of 35

Instead of using a sifter, I use a mesh colander (strainer) icon_smile.gif It is in the shape of a medium bowl, no handles, so I hold it in one hand and tap it against my other palm. Works like a dream and holds almost the whole box of mix.

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 12:34pm
post #25 of 35

I made a cake last night and sifted everything for the first time and all I can say is WOW !!! I thought my cakes were good before but this defiently made them better !!! I'll always sift from now on !! Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 12:49pm
post #26 of 35

I don't sift but I do run the mixer in the dry ingrediant before I add any of the wet. I use a hand mix for all of my cake mixes instead of uning the KA. When something does call for sifting I only use my wisk, except for gum paste

Kat

Edited for typo

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 12:52pm
post #27 of 35

Well the only sifting I did before this thread was my CS....but, since there are so many that do and swear by it, I'll just have to do it too! Thanks for another tip fellow CC'rs thumbs_up.gif

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:07pm
post #28 of 35

Wow, I'm convinced. If Indy and Doug say it, it must be so. Consider me a "sifter" from now on.

icon_biggrin.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #29 of 35

Instead of sifting, I put all my dry ingredients in my KA bowl and use a wisk to combine them. The wisk gets rid of all the lumps from the mix and I also have less mixing time after I add the wet ingredients. My cakes also come out dense with no air bubble problems. I like the wisk, because it gives the same effect as sifting, but no mess.

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:19pm
post #30 of 35

well, I've never had done this before and now I'm dying to try it. everytime I get on CC I learn something new.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%