I Need Your Help...

Decorating By wespam Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 1:31pm by OhMyGoodies

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone else had this problem with your baked cakes? The last couple of weeks have produced these warped baked rounds. I've used both DH and BC mixes with the extender recipe here on CC. I use the homemade cake release on the inside of the pans with a flower nail for my heating core. This is so strange! The inside of my Wilton pans look ok on visual examination. I've used these same pans for several months before this without a problem. I have better luck with my square Magic Line pans but they are rounded somewhat also and not always crisp. I bake at 325 degrees. Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas on what to do to stop this? Pam from Bama
LL
LL
LL

11 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 12

Have you tried leveling before you flip them out of your pans? I don't think these look bad, just nice big fluffy cakes that need a little leveling....then make cake balls. icon_smile.gif

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 12

Are you turning the pans half way through the bake time? I know with my oven if I don't turn my cakes, I end up with warped cakes too.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 12

Are you talking about the indentation that seems to be on the "top" of the cake? You might try turning the cake a half turn after it's about 1/2 way through the baking time. But, it doesn't look all that bad. Try leveling it and see if it is ok. (The oven might not be level, is another possibility. Have you cleaned behind it lately and then not checked to see if it's level?)

wespam Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks I will give that a try. I've never turned my pans while baking but if it works I'm game. I just don't understand why this has started here all of a sudden. My photos are right from the oven. I haven't trimed the tops off yet. I just don't like trimming the nice smooth bottoms too. Pam from Bama

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 12

I don't trim my bottoms either, only the tops. I do however after I pour in my batter, I use a flat blade spatual to smooth the batter to the edges. I also will drop it on the counter a few times, before putting it in the oven. Hope this helps.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 12

I can understand not wanting to cut off the "flat" bottom. As a note to having "flat" to work with, it has been suggested placing a clean dish towel on top of the cake, straight out of the over, and pressing it flat. It seems to work pretty good. I've only done it once and was pleasantly surprised, it really did make the top flat. I hope the problem resolves itself and you don't have to think about it any more.

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 12

When you use the towel method right out of the oven you have less to trim (if any) and it makes your cake a little denser....yummy!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 12

Has something happened that may have put your stove akilter, like moving it? If that is not it, I would suggest your oven is not heating evenly. Ovens do develop hot spots over time, sometime it is a prelude to the element going bad. Replacing the element could solve the problem, as will turning the cakes. Put several oven thermometers that you know are correct and calibrated to one another in the oven and check the eveness of the temp.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 12

I can see the issue you are upset about, BUT it still looks yummy none the less lol.

It looks as though maybe you had something in the way preventing the batter to fully spread into the bottom of the pan, is it possible you had too much "grease" lining the bottom corners? Or maybe it just didn't settle down into the edges when you beat it on the counter. (gosh that sounds so mean icon_cry.gif) Maybe try pouring just a little in at first to coat the bottom making sure it spreads evenly all the way around then adding a little more making sure it does the same and then topping it off with the rest of the batter. Or try beating on the counter/table instead of the stove top which I've done a few times and almost cracked the glass top on the stove icon_sad.gif. Hope things work out for you hun but it still looks nice, but I know once you put white icing on it it'll be very visible as white doesn't hide anything! (evil white icing!) but maybe add a little more icing in that spot to fix that little mess up up icon_smile.gif

wespam Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:37am
post #11 of 12

Update...I baked again last night and this time the rounds turned out alot better. I beat them pretty good on the counter top. My husband wanted to know what in the heck was I doing. Only one had a little bit of the curved edge. Thanks for all your tips. My cakes just seem to go together much better when they are crisp around the edges. Pam from Bama

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 12

Glad it worked out Pam, next time hubby asks tell him you're testing the paddle icon_wink.gif the hiney bustin paddle and does he want to volunteer to help with the testing process? lol Or just tell him you're sick and tired of these ratty old _____ (cabinets maybe lol) and you're doing some remodeling of your own! icon_wink.gif Keeps his nose outta the kitchen and in the tv where it should be icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%