A Few Questions Before I Get Started

Decorating By VickiG Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm by KoryAK

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 11

I'm going to be baking and decorating a cake next Friday and I want to try 2 new recipes. So far I've only made basic buttercream... but now finally I want to try MMF and one of the other buttercreams (IMBC or SMBC).

The cake I want to make will be a 9in round layer cake (the size I always seem to make ... but it works for the family cakes I make) and I want to frost it in the buttercream with MMF accents (stars & stripes mainly).

So far my main questions are:

1. Is it OK to make MMF 1 week ahead of using and if so, what is the best way to store (counter, fridge, freezer) ?

2. Is it OK to make the BC also 1 week ahead of using and what's the best way to store, prepare for using ?

3. Should the MMF pieces after cut, but put onto the cake immediately or should they first dry ?

4. Does anyone have a preference for one of the different sorts of BC ?
I'm mainly looking for something that isn't as sweet tasting and potentally pipes well (although if my MMF turns out ok, there might not be any piping on this cake).

Thanks so much for any advice !
Vicki

10 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 11

I dont know much about buttercream, but about your MMF questions... you can make it a week ahead of time, but you should have it all used by two weeks. The best way to store it, I think, is to wrap it a coulple times in Saran wrap, and then in a ziplock bag. Just leave it on the counter.

For accent pieces. You'll probably want to use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste, because when fondant drys it gets really crumbly and brakes easily! And yes, you should let that dry before applying it to your cake.

I hope that helps, Hopefully someone else can answer your buttercream questions for you soon!!

VickiG Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks Sarsi. Unfortunately I don't have gumpaste, so it will have to be just the MMF. I plan on decorating on Friday and the cake is needed Saturday.

Do you think it would be a problem if I just put the MMF directly onto the cake before it dries... so that I don't have to worry about it crumbling.

I'm only going to put stripes on the side, and at the top of the stripe a star (a version of a stars & stripes round cake I've seen here .... only not red & blue). The stars will just be laying on top of the cake, over the edge of the stripe. I might try some stars on the floral wire, and that I'll do ahead of time, if it crumbles I'll just not use it.

Thanks again

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 11

You could make IMBC or SMBC a week ahead. Store it in the fridge but pull it out a few hours before you decorate it and re-mix it. There is so much butter in them that they harden up like a stick of butter does in the fridge. Also when you serve it, it should be room temp.

I love IMBC and want to try SMBC soon. The taste of IMBC (I think) is so smooth and creamy - I like it a lot better than "American" BC with the powdered sugar. Don't be put off if you try it alone - it just seems buttery. But paired with the sweetness of the cake - ooooh, yum. But, a drawback is that it is not as versatile for piping since it is softer to work with.

I haven't tried MMF myself but a lot of people here on CC use it for their accents on BC and it works just fine.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 11

Oh, that should be fine! I was thinking petals of flowers and stuff...If you're just laying it on right on the cake, flatly, you dont have to let it dry first. The stars might work on the wire, just make sure you use a lot of fondant where it's going to be connected to the wire and be careful when handling it!! icon_biggrin.gif You'll do great!!

VickiG Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks Sarsi I'm going to give it a try !

And thanks awolf24... Glad to know that I can make it this weekend. I'll try the IMBC. and thanks for letting me know about the taste on its own. I might have been afraid to use it otherwise.

VickiG Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for all the help !

Here is the cake that I made with the IMBC & MMF (my first time). I thought the MMF was fun. I loved the taste of the IMBC (although a bit buttery) .... and that was an experience ! often I thought it was NOT going to work but it DID ! so creamy !! not so sweet !! The only negative things I can say is that mine did not crust at all, and wasn't really white... more cream colored... a bit yellowish when compared to the candle.

Anyway here is the photo that I posted.

Image[/img]

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 11

I love Toba Garrets BC as far as mmf yiu can make it and bc aweek ahead. I like to keep mmf in fridge and BC for longer storage freezing it is fine for 3 months. If you are applying fondant to be eaten on your cake do not mix it with gumpaste and apply as soon as you cut the shapes. Fondant accents will not stick to IMBC or Smbc because they are soft and slick. HTH

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 11

Very cute cake, it looks fabulous.

It's nice to get those "firsts" outta the way.

VickiG Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Very cute cake, it looks fabulous.

It's nice to get those "firsts" outta the way.

Yes it is !!!! I learned a LOT with both frostings. And now I have an idea of what to expect. The next time will not be quite so stressful I hope !

Just wanted to add, it is such a help just knowing that there is help, and experience right here when one needs it most !

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenutz

Fondant accents will not stick to IMBC or Smbc because they are soft and slick. HTH

Not true. They will hold just fine as long as they aren't too heavy. Something like your stars will work great, something like swags I would worry about.

As for the other pp's comment about her s/imbc turning out a little ivory and not crusting at all... that sounds right icon_smile.gif you didn't do anything wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%