Any One Else Have Boys? Bathroom Question. . . .

Lounge By Momofjakeandjosh Updated 6 Dec 2006 , 4:31pm by cinderspritzer

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:58am
post #1 of 56

Does anyone else have boys who have a bathroom with that "smell?" I have a 4 year old son, who is potty trained. Well, recently, the bathroom has taken on this awful smell. It reminds me of the bathrooms at the school where I used to teach. I've washed the bathmats, the towels, even the shower curtain. I've scrubbed every inch of the toilet and the floor. I have sprayed lysol, febreeze, air freshner. I've burned a candle in there all day long. Everything I try just masks that smell. Anyone have any hints? I live in a small 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, so the one he uses is also the one guests use when they come over. It's so gross! Does anyone have any other ideas of how to make that bathroom smell good again???????

55 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:09am
post #2 of 56

I have 3 boys! All are "potty trained", but that doesn't help. Their bathroom always smells like an old service station bathroom - nasty!!!! icon_cry.gif I have found that straight bleach around the toilet & under it will kill the smell, but it almost kills me, too! I have to leave the house.

I believe the problem in my case is that the floor tiles are loose & have gotten pee under them. (GAG!) You might check that on your floor. Someday, I hope to have ceramic tile. Right now, I'm mortified if anyone comes over & asks to use the bathroom. icon_redface.gif

Good luck! I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has more to offer... icon_eek.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:29am
post #3 of 56

Four year old boy in my house too. I could just strangle my dad for telling him that boys stand up to go pee. This is not information he needed until his aim got better icon_cry.gif

Anyway, am a vet tech and in my office we sell a product called Skunk Away, intended for spraying on pets that come into contact with skunks. The stuff works wonders. Kills urine odor on contact. I have even put it in my steam cleaner to clean around the toliet.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 56

That's why my boys (and DH) pee sitting down!!! Sometimes my 12 y-o pee standing up and it begins to smell, so I know he did! He hates me for knowing "everything" but hey, that's what mommy's are for icon_lol.gif

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 56

Pee sitting down? Totally against the man rules. I like to stand on top of someting tall and take aim. I'm happy to hit anything...the toilet, the wall...the cat. Stand up and UNITE MEN OF THE WORLD!!! Dont let these women take our one true MANLY MAN TRAIT away from us!! Pee Free! Pee Free I say! Pee Free!!!!!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 56

I've got one of those 4 year old boys too, and I've got that bathroom smell. I think my biggest problem comes from the kid potty seat. We have one of those soft seats that you put on the regular seat so he doesn't fall in. No matter how often or how well I clean it, it still stinks & I have to buy a new one every so often.

-Lisa

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 56

Omg dale to funny !!!

all i know is my 7 yr old refuses to put the seat up!!
can we all say ewwwww

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

Anyway, am a vet tech and in my office we sell a product called Skunk Away, intended for spraying on pets that come into contact with skunks. The stuff works wonders. Kills urine odor on contact. I have even put it in my steam cleaner to clean around the toliet.

Thanks for the tip, I am definitely getting some! I have Nature's Miracle, I wonder if that works too? I guess if it can get out skunk smell, it can get rid of anything.

-Lisa

Dale Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 56

Dont get me started on the seat thing...up or down. No matter up or down, you cant be right. Then you ladies put the fancy seat cover on the toilet to purty it up. The Lid wont stay up and we have to lean over and hold it and still try to hit the cheerios. Drives me nuts...no pun intended. Revenge time...Men...listen up...get up in the middle of the night...lift the seat and sneak back in to bed...when the wife gets up...listen for the splash and the cussing...dont giggle....too much...be prepared to move fast.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetviolent

Omg dale to funny !!!

all i know is my 7 yr old refuses to put the seat up!!
can we all say ewwwww

My youngest brother didn't learn to put the seat up until he was 12 or so, his aim was terrible and there was always pee on the seat.

My boys both insist on standing to pee, I had to yell at my oldest (icon_cool.gif a couple months ago, he was standing on the stool intended for my 3 year old to pee and this kid isn't what you could call short.
The only thing I can say is that boys are disgusting creatures at times.

Dale Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 56

But you love us all the same....disgusting as we may be.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 56

yeah we do love you all -whats up with that ???
oh and Dale
before we where first married my husband used to blame it on my sisters boyfrend

10 years later and two boyfriends and a husband later ......

I don't think that excuse is gonna work!!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 56

Dale you're funny!!! Actually it's not me that asked my sons to pee sitting, it's my DH so maybe you need to talk to him, not me icon_lol.gif

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 56

Dale, you are hilarious!

For some reason, my boys just can't find the time to lift the lid to pee. And do they wipe the pee off the seat when they are done (because we know that ALL the pee didn't make it into toilet)???? Nope, it's there for mom to clean later!!!!! Oh and to sit down (without looking first) and sit in something wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 56

Well living with 3 young nephews and helping potty train the youngest, now 4, I've had my share....

First, I make my husband do this part because I'm allergic to bleach and anything that contains bleach, he gets a bucket of hot water and washes everything down including but not limited to the seat, bowl, base, and floor around the toilet. Then he takes the bleach and pours it into a spray bottle for better "aim" he says and laughs lol. He proceeds by spraying everything!!!!! including the walls behind the toilet. We have linoleum in the one bathroom and ceramic tile in the other. This works to clean the one bathroom just fine.

Now the other one... Dad's bathroom... where all the boys are supposed to go, the other is mom's and no one is supposed to use hers but her and guests and to take a bath lol. Dad's bathroom is always nice and clean and smells great! Until you go near the toilet. We've done the same thing as with the other bathroom but it's not the floor or walls or anything there it's the toilet it's self. The inside has chipped away due to hard water I guess it is, but it's got rivets in the "enamel" coating and this sucks all the nasty smells and stuff into it and holds it. We pour gallon bottles of bleach in this toilet once a week one bottle per week. Not even 2 flushes later it stinks again. They need a new toilet in this bathroom but are waiting until they remodel it next year.

This may be the problem with yours as well, it somehow they've gotten peepee up under the rim where it's not coated with that shinny clear stuff lol... I'd suggest getting the skunk stuff lmao it's gotta work!

Good luck!

DALE: you had me cracking up big time!!!! I almost peed my pants laughing at you icon_razz.gif lmao

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:22pm
post #16 of 56

Yes, Dale, God help us...we do love our men.

My neice fell in the toilet when she was about 4. She got a BIG pitcher of ice cold water & poured it on her sleeping (lazy) father! He didn't leave the seat up anymore.

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:23pm
post #17 of 56

I have the same problem. Three of my boys are old enough to use the bathroom and the smell kind be horrible even after I clean. Their bathroom is also the guest bathroom so it can get bad. I have used a cleaner called Odo-ban that I get at Sam's. It comes in a big bottle that is the full strength to mop floors and in a diluted spray bottle. It does get the smell out until the bathroom is used again which is usually five seconds after I clean it. icon_cry.gif We had a sewer backup in our laundry room / bathroom down stairs and I could not get the smell out. I realized some of the nasty water had gone under the furnace and had dried. I couldn't get under there to clean so I took some of the full strength and dumped it under there and it took care of the smell.
I guess I should be happy my boys are going in the bathroom at all. Last summer my five year old decided that since he was capable to pee anywhere that he had the right to. It was like he was making his territory.(Or maybe he was chaneling Dale! icon_twisted.gif ) The worst was when all of my boys were playing out in the front and I went out to check on them just in time to see the five year old pulling up his pants. My front step was all wet so I knew that he had just peeded. We live in a supdivision and all of the neighbors were out sitting on their porches watching. icon_redface.gif I was mortified! The joys of raising boys. icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:41pm
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdcakes

Yes, Dale, God help us...we do love our men.

My neice fell in the toilet when she was about 4. She got a BIG pitcher of ice cold water & poured it on her sleeping (lazy) father! He didn't leave the seat up anymore.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif She learned early.

My husband puts the seat down 99.9% of the time, about once every 6 months or so he leaves it up and it's always at night so in the morning when I'm half awake I get a nice surprise. icon_mad.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 56

OMG! this is tooooooo funny!! I had that same problem.. for some dang reason every party is at my house. Lots of boys.. I hate when they all leave!! SO I had a nice pretty letter printed out and taped it to the wall.. (behind the toilet) that read
"If you can't aim, SIT DOWN!!".. everyone would come out laughing.. but i know in the back of their minds there thinking, i was the last one in there I better aim!!! But seriously, sometimes those screws on the bottom of the toilet will come loose and need to be tightened replaced.. I also found that if your toilet dont have a thin bead of caulk around the bottom of your toilet.. any liquids will seep under toilet and make that horrible smell stay all year round.. No matter how much your clean!!!! Ladies caulk your toilets!! No pun intended!!! LOL

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:21am
post #20 of 56

heres a funny story. when my youngest was just potty trained and able to really go by herself i wouldn't go into the bathroom with her. well everytime i would got o clean the bathroom there would be a line of pee going the front of the toilet. so i got all over my hubby for it and told him i know we have been together a long time but hello, he still needs to aim, he insisted it wasn't him.(there are three girls hes the only boy) well one day i walked in on her and the little stinker was going to the bathroom with her legs wide open she was watching herself go and the pee was making a straight line shot between the toilet seat and the bowl. i could not stop laughing and called my hubby to tell him of course i had to appologize but it was soooo funny. i have never seen that.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:53am
post #21 of 56

my 4 year old is potty trained and ever since then I can't get that smell to go away, I seem to only lessen it's power for it to be back and stronger than ever in 3 days!!! I can hardly wait till the youngest boy gets potty trained icon_cool.gif

Dale you are too funny and my crazy husband agrees 100% with you. icon_rolleyes.gif

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:11am
post #22 of 56

Sometimes the space between the floor and the toilet can get full of "man gunk."

OK, Y'ALL--DON'T GO THERE...it's just stuff that after a few years, messes up around the lil' "O" ring seal between the toilet and the floor.

Every few years, I take my toilets up and replace that "O" ring. Give it a good cleaning, and a bead of caulk---you're good to go. Takes 1/2 an afternoon to do two toilets.

HTH,
--Knox--

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:28am
post #23 of 56

This soooo funny. When I was single I had a good friend who had a DH and 3 sons, whenever I used her bathroom I would think how gross it smelled and how she really needed to clean her house etc.... Well, flash forward 10 years and now I have a DH and 2 boys ages 6 and 4, the bathroom always smells. I don't let the boys use my bathroom (and really don't want my DH to use it either). I've never thought about checking under the toilet seal, that's a good idea. For quick cleanups I love the Kirlkand brand disposable cleaning wipes from Costco, they are sturdy, smell good and clean well. (I've apologized to my friend in my head many times.)

Dale Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:11am
post #24 of 56

my crazy husband agrees 100% with you

Of course he does....true Blue. Cool avatar by the way.

Dale Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:15am
post #25 of 56

My doc told me I should sit down to pee...he didnt want me hurting my back by lifting heavy objects.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:46am
post #26 of 56

Oh Dale... thank you for posting that. I was expecting this comment. icon_lol.gif

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:58pm
post #27 of 56

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Oh my!!!!!! icon_cool.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:28pm
post #28 of 56

okay, I'm laughing so hard reading this.....I am the lucky mother of two little boys 4 and 7!! Believe me......the only thing I've found to keep the bathroom smelling fresh is once a week or so I spray all around the toilet on the floor with clorox clean up....it's just as effective IMO as straight up bleach but has a better smell! Then I keep those clorox wipes under the sink in the bathroom and every night after I brush my teeth I grab one out and wipe the floor just around the toilet and it makes the whole bathroom (kinda small bathroom) smell nice and fresh.......and it helps keep the bathroom clean all the time too! Sometimes I'll take another wipe and wipe down the sink while I'm brushing my teeth......just to keep from having to do a major cleaning on the bathroom once a week or whatever!

justduit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justduit Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:47pm
post #29 of 56

OK, here's the thing. Why is it that men are required to pick the seat up before we go, and put it down afterward? icon_confused.gif Is it that women are incapable of moving the seat up or down? Or of being able to tell at a glance that the seat is up and putting it down before sitting? I never have understood this issue. If women want to be treated the same everywhere else, it goes for the toilet also! icon_razz.gif Women are capable of looking before they sit (by the way, men sit on the toilet sometimes also, we just look first and put the seat down if necessary) and of putting the seat down if necessary. I solved this problem for myself by putting down not only the seat, but also the lid. Therefore, everyone has to raise something before using the toilet - equality! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mark

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:11pm
post #30 of 56

Okay, come on, Mark! Lets be real here, you guys can actually do your business with the seat down, but naturally it is preferable to have it up, but we women pretty much don't have a choice in the matter and if it is up we get a dunking!

Another reason for putting the seat down, that commode isn't the most attractive thing in the house in the first place, and with the seat up it looks like a big gaping hole.

IMHO there is no argument for leaving the seat up, and plenty for putting it down. Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%