To Buy Or Not To Buy...

Decorating By kjgjam22 Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 10:09pm by kjgjam22

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 21

I know its been posted already but.....

i spoke to a kitchen aid rep online who said that it is safe to buy a reconditioned/refurbished unit...they have their own store on ebay as well.

my question is....would you buy a refurbished/reconditioned model..

if you have already done so...is it working well for you....

Help... please. icon_smile.gif

20 replies
momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 21

I have a refurbished KA 6qt professional model that was purchased from KA on eBay. I got it as a Christmas gift 2 years ago, and it's still going strong! And let me tell you, I have put that thing to some serious work, and it has lived up to the challenge each time.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 21

I bought my KA 6 qt professional refurbished from a local store. I haven't had any trouble with it. I have had it for almost 2 years.

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 21

I would buy a refurb/used one to have a bigger model since I only have the Artisan.

You know my school replaced all the KA with these stupid icon_mad.gif Hamilton Beach mixers and these perfectly good KA are just sitting in storage where no one uses them. Such a shame, the should at least sell them to the students or something.

Oh well... icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 21

Kitchenaids are such good equipment, it's hard to turn them down for a low, low price like you can find refurbished. The question I would ask is, "What if it breaks down?" Are you just out that money? Or do they fix it? It's already been 'refurbished' for a reason, sometimes even though a product is normally of high quality, you have a 'lemon' come off the line once in a while... is that what you are buying when you get one that's been refurbished? I am NOT SAYING that's what it is, I am posing questions that may help you decide. I bet in most cases you are safe buying refurbished, but I would want to know what was wrong with it initially. If it was a part that needed to be replaced, then it was probably just a fluke. One little piece of equipment was not made up to their usual standards, but with the better part in place, it should work for years. Just giving you my perspective. I would just find out what type of warranty you get, or is it as-is. And, compare that against the price. If the price is cheap enough that you wouldn't really be out anything if it breaks down in two years...etc. I suppose I haven't helped much... this is really such a matter of personal choice! I wish you good luck!!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 21

I have had a refurbished KA professional 6 qt for 4 1/2 years and its still going strong (those of you who have read my posts before know I didnt use it much the first year of my marriage--it was a wedding gift) but since that time I have been using it nearly 3-4 times a week! My Mother has had a refurbished 5 qt professional for at least 10 years and she makes a ton (and I mean a ton) of Cinn rolls around the holidays and anyone who has made bread dough knows that 8 cups of flour can put a mixer through a work-out.....and hers is also still going strong...and that doesnt include all the other stuff she makes all year round!

I say go for it....we have had nothing but good luck in our household....and if you know of a shop that can work on them (here we have such a place) then I always feel like even if it does someday break down....it may be possible to repair it reasonably.

kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 21

thanks guys for all the help.... melvira you did help me. icon_smile.gifthanks....i am of two minds.

i will wait till after christmas in case "santa" buys one for me...highly unlikely but just in case.....i certainly dont need 3 mixers. icon_smile.gif

I will let you all know if I decide to buy one refurbished or brand spanking new.

Thanks again.

oh and kitchen aid said that there is no way to tell what was wrong with the mixer before...just that parts were fixed or replaced.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

thanks guys for all the help.... melvira you did help me. icon_smile.gifthanks....i am of two minds.

i will wait till after christmas in case "santa" buys one for me...highly unlikely but just in case.....i certainly dont need 3 mixers. icon_smile.gif

I will let you all know if I decide to buy one refurbished or brand spanking new.

Thanks again.

oh and kitchen aid said that there is no way to tell what was wrong with the mixer before...just that parts were fixed or replaced.

Hi hon..

I have to throw my 2 cents in here...I would not hesitate to buy a refurbished machine!! especially if I have another one.

If anything happens to my refurbished, I still have options to finish what I was doing, I would only hesitate if it was my primary machine. I wouldn't want to be stuck without a mixer in the middle of what I needed to do!!

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 21

I would say go for it. I saw on martha stewart where she was talking about people that buy used machines and that KA does such a good job fixing them that even she would think about buying one.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 21

I have a refurbished 6qt Pro. I have had it for about 2 months. I am loving it thumbs_up.gif

I have had no problem :::knock on wood::: icon_lol.gif

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 21

I have bought several refurbished KA and Cuisinart items, and have been happy with all of them. They do come with a warranty, although I'm not sure if it's the same as the "new" warranty.

My KA mixer was new, because I had some gift certificates and a coupon to use at Bed Bath and Beyond a few years ago, and got such a good deal I couldn't have done better even with a refurbished one. Had it not been for that, though, I certainly would have bought a refurbished one.

As far as Santa possibly getting you one, maybe you could get the mixer for yourself (to make sure you get the one that YOU want!) and then give Santa a list of the other things you need, LOL!

Laura.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 21

So if your KA dies... is there a place that you take it? Will they buy it from you so they can refurbish it? How do you find such a place?

I have my Mom's machine that my Dad gave me when she passed away almost 10 years ago. She had it for years.... at least 10 years I am sure - but I think longer. It still runs great! I want a new one just to get a different color - but can't justify the cost for that!!

kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

Thanks again.

Hi hon..

I have to throw my 2 cents in here...I would not hesitate to buy a refurbished machine!! especially if I have another one.

If anything happens to my refurbished, I still have options to finish what I was doing, I would only hesitate if it was my primary machine. I wouldn't want to be stuck without a mixer in the middle of what I needed to do!!

Hi, how are you doing?

the mixer wouldnt be my primary but it would help when i need to make bigger batches. as i said, i still have my 5 quart that works great...just that i cant shut it off without unplugging it.

kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slejdick

I have bought several refurbished KA and Cuisinart items, and have been happy with all of them. They do come with a warranty, although I'm not sure if it's the same as the "new" warranty.

My KA mixer was new, because I had some gift certificates and a coupon to use at Bed Bath and Beyond a few years ago, and got such a good deal I couldn't have done better even with a refurbished one. Had it not been for that, though, I certainly would have bought a refurbished one.

As far as Santa possibly getting you one, maybe you could get the mixer for yourself (to make sure you get the one that YOU want!) and then give Santa a list of the other things you need, LOL!

Laura.

i checked with "Santa" no go... he says its more then he can afford this year. i cant blame him...last year i got a cell phone....cant expect 2 big gifts a year of each other. oh well.

kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephW

So if your KA dies... is there a place that you take it? Will they buy it from you so they can refurbish it? How do you find such a place?

I have my Mom's machine that my Dad gave me when she passed away almost 10 years ago. She had it for years.... at least 10 years I am sure - but I think longer. It still runs great! I want a new one just to get a different color - but can't justify the cost for that!!

kitchen aid told me where i could have it reparied. i need to take my old faithfull to try to fix it too. icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:35pm
post #16 of 21

KA has such great products that I would buy one if it was at a great price.

I just recently brought the KA hand held mixer at the Thrift Store for $5.00 and it works icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully, Santa might change his mind icon_wink.gif

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:45pm
post #17 of 21

Refurbished just means they take a mixer that was returned for some reason, clean and reuse the shell, and put a new motor in it. All the parts are checked by quality control and it is basically a new machine when they resell it. It may have scratches on it or something minor like that. By US standards, they have to replace all moving parts, all electric or electronic components (for fire hazard) and sell you a product they are confident will work just as well as one that has never been out of the factory. They may choose to put a different warranty on it, but the machine will work properly. I have purchased refurbished products in the past and have found they work just as well and sometimes have a longer life because they spend extra time on them at the factory.

kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

Refurbished just means they take a mixer that was returned for some reason, clean and reuse the shell, and put a new motor in it. All the parts are checked by quality control and it is basically a new machine when they resell it. It may have scratches on it or something minor like that. By US standards, they have to replace all moving parts, all electric or electronic components (for fire hazard) and sell you a product they are confident will work just as well as one that has never been out of the factory. They may choose to put a different warranty on it, but the machine will work properly. I have purchased refurbished products in the past and have found they work just as well and sometimes have a longer life because they spend extra time on them at the factory.

thats what i needed to know...if the stuff is new stuff and by stuff i mean the motor. i am thinking i have to wait until next year to buy one... money and money being my problem. remember in jamaica its 66.50 to 1 us dollar plus the duty i will be charged. thanks again guys for all the help.

angelak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelak Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:53pm
post #19 of 21

I've owned a refurbished KA 6qt for four years now, works great. My theory is someone else has already worked out all the bugs. If you get the opportunity to purchase one go for it!

crazydaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydaisy Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:54pm
post #20 of 21

I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurbished...my mom and I bought a refurbished KA mixer for my best fried almost 8 years ago. It actually came with the same warranty as my new one at the time. (which I have had for 13+ years, not a speck of trouble) Anyway, she has used the heck out of hers and it is still going strong! I love KA stuff!!!! Ask about the warranty. If it is the same as a new one, why not?

kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 10:09pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaisy

I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurbished...my mom and I bought a refurbished KA mixer for my best fried almost 8 years ago. It actually came with the same warranty as my new one at the time. (which I have had for 13+ years, not a speck of trouble) Anyway, she has used the heck out of hers and it is still going strong! I love KA stuff!!!! Ask about the warranty. If it is the same as a new one, why not?

i dont know if the warranty is still valid if i take the machine out of the country so it wouldnt matter how long it is for but the warranty is 6 months on th refurbished.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%