I Did The Turkey Cake!!!!

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 18 Nov 2006 , 1:38pm by Kate714

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 21

icon_biggrin.gif

I was happy with the results, even though i missed a few things. I read the directions before and didn't look back as i was going. icon_redface.gif
Thank you very much Mrs. Missey for instructions.
So what do ya'll think?

oh yes, I forgot to mention it's in my photos.

thanks,
Kat

20 replies
jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 21

congratulations on a great cake! it looks phenomenal!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 21

Kat,

It looks so awesome.......my DH just said....hey my work wants you to make a cake for me to bring in for Thanksgiving week (they all bring in different things on Monday and eat them over the course of the next few days until Thanksgiving) Usually they have DH bring in an olive and pickle tray lol. I started to send in practice cakes from Wilton course 1 with DH and someone ordered a tinkerbell cake and now they want him to bring cake instead lol They said they could do without pickles and olives! I wanna make the turkey cake so badly!! Did you use an airbrush???? The worste part is that we're moving in days.....so I'm gonna have to make this cake while we're homeless.........well in transit.....we have to hang around so DH can put in his 2 weeks notice and that's the time I'll have to make the cake...we're gonna be in a hotel or in a vacation rental at the Jersey shore!! In NOVEMBER!! lol Anyhow.....you must tell me.......did you use an airbrush?? DId you have the egg pans? (I don't....but could buy them if I can find them)...what sorts of things did you find the hardest......yours looks JUST like a beautifully baked turkey!!

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 21

Great job on the cake! It looks so real! icon_surprised.gif I am afraid to try one of these so my hat's off to you for trying!

Happy baking,
Beth

Katskakes Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 21

thank you all!!
I too was very afraid to try this, but was dying to do it. I'm not advanced in the cake decorating world. so i was a bit afraid of how it would turn out.
I guess i did forget to mention a few other things.
I used a football pan and cut it down to an egg size, I did the same with the 9x13 cake. I used the mini eggs pan from wilton to do the wings and drumbsticks. As far as the airbrush i don't have one. I wish i did. Instead i bought the preval spray gun that's been mentioned on cc before. it was something Duff used for his cakes when he was doing Jay Leno's cake.
Mrs. Missey mentioned you can also use a spray bottle if you don't have an airbrush. I forgot to pick one of those up too. The preval spray was not as easy as i wished, maybe i just needed to add more liquid.
I did buy the brown color for airbrush instead of using the gel colors or americolors from the small bottles. Also, i didn't have paper towel that would give it the skin look, so i took the small brush i use to butter up the pans and tapped the cake a bit on top.

KHalstead - i found the mini egg pan in NYcake and the 3d egg pan in candyland crafts. NYCake is close to work, they had it for 11.99 i believe. The 3d egg pan candyland (this store is about 40 minutes from my house) had it for the same price, they also had the mini eggs.

Kat

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 21

I love your turkey cake. I am going to try one this year myself! Hope it looks half as nice as yours!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 21

I found the large 3-D egg pan......but had no luck with the ,minis......everyones like........uh, that's for EAster!! I"m like I know.......but I gotta make a turkey LOL They all think I'm nuts at A.C. Moore, Michaels......well, at least the cake decorating store didn't think I was nuts lol They had the big one but no more little ones! Shoot.......I gotta have this cake for Monday...and I really don't wanna have to order online since I'm supposed to be moving on Friday LOL.....doh!

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 21

Good job.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 21

Great job on your turkey cake, glad my instructions were helpful!

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 21

i have done 3 turkey cakes already in the past two weeks! LOVE THEM! My Michaels thinks i'm nuts too... they said i'm 6 months too early/too late for egg pans! I borrowed a mini from a friend. icon_smile.gif I'll post soon!!!!!!!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 11:55pm
post #11 of 21

Your cake looks great!!!!

Do you need to use the 3D Egg Pan or just the regular large egg pan?

I bought the large egg pan and not the 3D Pan - I wonder if I bought the wrong pan icon_cry.gif

BearLuvsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BearLuvsCakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:01am
post #12 of 21

LOL!! Your cake looks great!

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:47am
post #13 of 21

here's mine! Ball pan instead of the egg pan...... i used mini eggs on this one, however. cupcakes worked but these are MUCH better... icon_smile.gif I have a feeling that alot of Thanksgiving dinners this year are going to be HIGH CARB and not LOW CARB..... lol
LL

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:56am
post #14 of 21

Your cake looks terrific ... and thank you for the helpful suggestions and comments. Maybe we'll have a new dessert this year!

simplyelegant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplyelegant Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:11am
post #15 of 21

good job. I have done two of these this year. they are a lot of fun to make. Here is a picture of mine.
LL

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:40am
post #16 of 21

They all look great thumbs_up.gif

Katskakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm
post #17 of 21

The turkey's look great!!! thanks for sharing.
As for the 3D egg pan, i bought that same one. I noticed the store i went to also had 1/2 egg pan. But as i mentioned above and Mrs. Missey suggested you can also do it with a 1/2 football pan if you have it. This pan is also easier to find this time of year in Michael's and other craft stores.

thanks!
Kat

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:36am
post #18 of 21

okay, I have all my pans and have done my baking....I'm just confused on how to get the right shapes for the drumsticks and wings?? How do you get the long part on the drumstick (not really sure how to explain it....the little extension off of the mini egg?)

thanks from those who have done this!!!

Katskakes Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #19 of 21

That's one of the things i messed up on. All i saw was to add a plastic dowel to hold the drumstick in place and then add the white paper.
I didn't insert a dowel, it was just all BC. That's why i guess my drumsticks are very low and opened wide. I just attached the paper on top of the BC. i was thinking of using the smaller cones to make it look longer, but i forgot.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 12:59am
post #20 of 21

I'm looking for the instructions to do this. I looked in the articles section and didn't find it - I could have over looked it.

Any help would be great!

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 1:38pm
post #21 of 21

The instructions are in the "How Do I?" forum as a sticky, right on top of the list. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%